Sorry but what is going on here please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
    No doubt Paul you will be well recovered and ready for action in the New Year.
    Just while I have you here(I know off topic but that has already happened a few replies back)...but I plan to bring either my 40D or 400d to a medium sized indoor music concert and if not using a flash what are good settings re Noise etc.Even just a rough guide that worked for you before.I plan to bring my 70-200mm f/4.0L.I have a 70-200mm f/2.8L also but would rather not bring that.
    Thanks in advance.

The first consideration is whether such photographic equipment is actually allowed into the event. I had my 350D taken off me at a Billy Joel concert a couple of years ago because SLR cameras apparently weren't allowed. By a stroke of luck I actually knew the head of security for the event (even though I was just a normal paying punter) so when he found out he had my camera sent straight back to me mid-gig. If you're fine to take it in then I'd go for the 40D as you may need ISO 3200, and it has to be said, the f/2.8 is by far the better lens of the two for concert photography. You might not want to take it but you might also curse yourself by not doing.

Settings-wise, I generally use Av and keep the camera set to underexpose by around 1 stop. When shooting concerts you usually have localised areas of quite intense light, and underexposing helps preserve these highlights and also doubles your shutter speed which is very handy when the overall level of light may not be all that high. That aside I normally shoot concerts in a very similar way to anything else; keep a close eye on the shutter speed, and if you're getting an average of, say, 1/800th at ISO 3200 for the aperture you're using then you know you can afford to drop the ISO down to something more like 800 and get rid of a bit of noise. The main thing to keep an eye on is your shutter speed. It's really easy to get carried away and just shoot without really paying attention to what the camera is telling you, and it's a real bitch when you check your images afterwards and realise most of them are blurry when a single adjustment would have avoided it! So yeah, try take the most appropriate gear for the job if at all possible (40D & 70-200 f/2.8 ), underexpose by around a stop to preserve highlights and keep a close eye on your shutter speed. Other than that, enjoy it!

Give me a shout if I can help with anything else.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

I would like to add something to PMNīs excellent suggestions.

When using a flash on a dance hall with low ceiling, check for reflecting surfaces. I make photos for the local salsa dance school. They got a system-ceiling where the grid is reflective. It happened to me a few times that I had several photos with lines of light on the subject. Looked quite stupid. Since you are not bringing a flash this might not concern you that much, but maybe something to consider for the future.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Originally posted by PMN View Post
      it's a real bitch when you check your images afterwards and realise most of them are blurry
      In my experience a blurry image CAN be quite nice. Most of them not, but you might want to try aiming for something blurry to capture the movements of dancers etc.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Settings-wise, I generally use Av and keep the camera set to underexpose by around 1 stop. When shooting concerts you usually have localised areas of quite intense light, and underexposing helps preserve these highlights and also doubles your shutter speed which is very handy when the overall level of light may not be all that high.
        That was the little gem of a tip I was looking for Paul.I have taken aboard the rest of the info.I will be ok as regards taking an SLR into the venue as it is a annual held anniversary concert for the deceased lead singer of Thin Lizzy and have seen folks with SLR`s and high end consumer cameras there before.
        Many thanks Paul.

Comment

Just think of me on New Years Eve night sweating over a hot rapid response car, being vomited on, threatened and sworn at......

............and that's just my colleagues !!!

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
            When using a flash on a dance hall with low ceiling, check for reflecting surfaces. I make photos for the local salsa dance school. They got a system-ceiling where the grid is reflective. It happened to me a few times that I had several photos with lines of light on the subject. Looked quite stupid. Since you are not bringing a flash this might not concern you that much, but maybe something to consider for the future.
            You have to adjust your technique to the conditions you're shooting in. In a medium-sized venue like David mentions (medium to me meaning something between 2000 and 5000 capacity) unless you're in the barrier pit or right down the front a flash, even the largest common external flash, will be largely ineffectual. In fact when shooting concerts it's generally desirable to try capture the concert lighting as it's intended to look rather than use flash, which annoys the artist (believe me there's little more irritating than a flashgun in your face when you're on stage) and kills the mood the lighting guy is trying to create. I'd always recommend shooting concerts without flash if at all possible.

Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
            In my experience a blurry image CAN be quite nice. Most of them not, but you might want to try aiming for something blurry to capture the movements of dancers etc.
            Absolutely, but not when you intend them to be sharp! This is why I say keep a close eye on the shutter speed, purposeful blur can be great but accidental blur ain't generally good so it's just something to be aware of.

That was the little gem of a tip I was looking for Paul.I have taken aboard the rest of the info.I will be ok as regards taking an SLR into the venue as it is a annual held anniversary concert for the deceased lead singer of Thin Lizzy and have seen folks with SLR`s and high end consumer cameras there before.
            Many thanks Paul.
            No worries at all. Any idea what bands are playing?

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            Just think of me on New Years Eve night sweating over a hot rapid response car
            I know you liked your nice fast Volvo but not that much!
            Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Chris do something the moral fiber of the crew is dropping like a stone

Too late...the moral fibre got crushed mannnnny moons ago

Comment

No worries at all. Any idea what bands are playing?
                This link will give you a good idea Paul http://www.vibeforphilo.com/index2.htm
                It is for the most a great night and wraps up around 2:30 in the morning.I have gone on the 4th of January for more years than I care to remember.But this year have decided to try and get some shots as a band we go to see quiet a lot(The Pat McManus Band)will also be playing and he may join on stage other great Axe Men.Maybe we will line you up for next year(with an afro wig and some brown shoe polish)as a Phil Lynott look alike seen as your an ace bass player like Philo was

Comment

Working...
                X