Man Arrested for Taking Pictures at MIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Arrested for Taking Pictures at MIA

MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (WSVN) -- A man has been arrested after, officials said, he caused a security scare at a South Florida airport.

On Jan. 11, Miami-Dade Police officers stopped Oluwole Aboyade in the Dolphin parking garage at MIA after he reportedly began taking pictures of sensitive areas at the airport.

According to a Miami-Dade Police report, an officer said he became alarmed when he saw Aboyade taking pictures of buildings, surveillance cameras, airport runways and restricted areas. When the police approached the Nigerian national, he said he would remain silent. The police report read, "Mr. Aboyade was observed walking through the terminal and parking garages taking pictures ... upon making contact ... he became very evasive."

"He was approached by several of our uniformed officers who were very alert in seeing what was going on in order to question him and find out exactly why he was there. While questioning him, a lot of things he refused to answer. He was very evasive. He did not want to give any answers whatsoever," Miami-Dade Police Detective Bobby Williams said. "A detective was summoned from that airport bureau there, responded and subsequently, Mr. Aboyade was arrested, because he could not dispel the detective's fear for the safety of people or property."

Police said, Aboyade was in the US illegally. The police report read, "Upon arrival at the station, it was learned that Mr. Aboyade had overstayed his work visa and was wanted by ICE."

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21003309015872/

I know he wasn't photographing aircraft, but as we have all seen in the past, most people, and especially many cops, will not see the difference.

Stuff like this just makes our hobby all the more difficult, at least in the US.

The police should realize that spotters are probably their best allies for detecting this kind of behavior
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
      The police should realize that spotters are probably their best allies for detecting this kind of behavior
      I agree 100%, and some airports do as well. DFW is very spotter friendly, so as long as one doesn't try to sneak into areas where one should not be. I remember seeing an interview with an officer at DFW and they see spotters as just extra eyes who would report possible trouble.

IAH is as well, again, as long as you behave yourself, although its been a while since I've been there so it could have always changed.

Comment

I sent an email to one of the contact emails on the IAH website asking about spotting locations back in 2009, as I was going to have a 6 or so hour layover, they told me about the locations that are open to that, and told me to call their security dispatch office (and gave me the phone number) just to let them know I was going to be there. Really friendly and everything, but in the end I didn't get a chance to go.
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

You do realize the guy they caught doing this was a wanted fugitive by immigration?

Yet, you're talking about how police don't know the difference.
          Tanner Johnson - Owner
          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Working...
          X