Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left part of image is often more blurry. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left part of image is often more blurry. Why?

Title says it all really. Using a Nikon D90 and a 70-300VR lens. Could this be:
    • Camera shake (although that should affect left and right parts equally, no?)
    • VR (Vibration Reduction) problems?
    • Lens broken?
    • Camera broken?

Reference pic here (just cropped, otherwise unedited). This one is by far the most obvious, but I have this problem in a lot of my shots, just not so severe.

Several more shots in this album. I cut out the interesting bits and resized them to 200% in case anyone wants to pixel peep

Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Is there any way I can avoid ruining some of my shots because of this?

Hi,

maybe the autofocus does not capture the whole frame correctly. I've also had something like that on some of my shots already a while ago, see here for example: .

After some time this was gone, but I cannot say that I changed anything except the usual settings...

Maybe trying to use less zoom helps to identify the problem.

Greets,
    Patrick

Comment

maybe a little damage to the lens.

I also had it on my previous L 70-200mm lens from Canon.
      There was always a strange blur on the edges of some photos.

It was JP screener Paul Nichols who came up with the advice to check the lens for minor damages.
      And he was right (again )

There was a very, very small scratch on the lens; only visible in bright light, but it was big enough to ruin my pics.
      I had to buy myself a new one and all problems are solved now.

Freek

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post
        There was a very, very small scratch on the lens; only visible in bright light, but it was big enough to ruin my pics.

Freek
        Where was the scratch? On the part that goes inside the camera or the part that points towards the plane?

Comment

I had a problem where my old 100-400 began to be blurry on one side of the image. I sent it into Canon who put a new autofocus motor in and re calibrated it which seemed to fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post
            maybe a little damage to the lens.

I also had it on my previous L 70-200mm lens from Canon.
            There was always a strange blur on the edges of some photos.

It was JP screener Paul Nichols who came up with the advice to check the lens for minor damages.
            And he was right (again )

I had to buy myself a new one and all problems are solved now.

Freek

Just for future reference, it should be possible to replace just the front glass element on the lens rather than having to replace the entire lens.

Comment

1. check if the focus point is in the centre.
              2. check VR mode "on and normal"

if this does not help

3. try with VR off

If it helps sent to Nikon, if it does not sent to Nikon.
              My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
              My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
              ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                1. check if the focus point is in the centre.
                1. Why does the focus point need to be in the centre? doesn't the camera focus on a "plane" rather than "points"?

If it helps sent to Nikon, if it does not sent to Nikon.
                err, what? send it to Nikon in any case?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comment

Because the centre is a corss-type sensor, while some other are not. In that case it can happen that the focus will not be correct. The centre point is the best way to test a lens.

Yes, you should sent it to Nikon in any case, if the VR settings and the AF makes no difference. Trying with VR off just helps to describe the problem.
                  My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
                  My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
                  ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Can be an alignment problem with one of the floating IS elements in the lens.I'd send it to Nikon for a full service and calibration.
                    Had same issue with my 100-400 quick pit stop at Canon and all was fixed..

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
                      Just for future reference, it should be possible to replace just the front glass element on the lens rather than having to replace the entire lens.
                      Mmmm; didn't even know that option......
                      Anyway, I don't like to sent my lens to any repairstore and have to wait 5 weeks or more before it returned.

Comment

Ben - I had a very similar problem like yours. It was also strange that it started happening just after I had my Canon lens re-calibrated and camera serviced. Then I realised that only thing changed was that I put an UV filter to protect the lens. I took the filter off and the problem was gone. Put it back on and it was back on again. A few other people I spoke to also said that they have had similar problems with filters. It was most noticeable when shooting with my x2 converter at full zoom.

CheersAziz

Comment

I only had this issue with my Canon 10D and the 100-400mm L in combination with the TV mode and some apertures below 8. I have this lens since Apr 2000 and used it with the old EOS 5 before, so I never had this phenomenom. Now, with the EOS 50D there is no partial blurry and the lens is even faster in autofocus. This let me think of that the EOS 10D was not directly made for that lens.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                          www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

This may be obvious but did nto see it stated above...

-Make sure all elements are clean...
                            You'd be surprised how many times you think lens is clean, and is not. Make sure you check it under full bright sunlight, unless you have a really bright source at home. Any new tactical flashlight, 150 lumens or more, should also be good to check for smudges, dirt, fogging, etc. Also look for moss buildup. If your lens has ever been in super humid conditions and not properly dried and dehumidified, you can grow fungus.

-Make sure it is not related to condensation. Are you taking your lens in and out of a car? Let your lens acclimate to the outside conditions and keep it that way throughout the shoot

-Check to make sure there are no APUs or other heat sources near the aircraft being photographed. THis is just sneaky as heck... it can get you when you least expect it.

-Motion Blur. Are your shutter speeds sufficient? are you panning in shots that are worse than others? Are you NOT panning with moving aircraft? The right combination of shutter speed, panning motion, subject motion and shutter design can cause all sorts of weird issues.

-Have you tried ON and OFF a monopod/tripod if you can?

VR smear is very real... at least it is for me on my 200-400mm f/4. If my shutter speed is low enough, I can use it with great results. But anything above 1/800 sec will likely be VR smeared.

Comment

Since some of you mentioned that that the 100-400L had problems does it mean that this lens isn't was good as you thought it would be? Maybe it is better to consider 70-200's? Thanks
                              Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Working...
                              X