Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5D Mark II help

Hi,
    I have just upgraded from a 50D to a 5D Mark II, and at this time I am getting photos where some parts of the airplane are not in focus, when shot at F.8, as I would use on my 50D. I suspect it is a Depth of Field problem due to the decreased depth of field of the fullframe sensor, could anyone suggest whether it is the case, and what F stop/settings I should use?

Thanks
    Aaron

Aaron,

I've shot with a 5D2 for over 2 years now and have to say i've not had any problems like what you are describing.

I have shot aircraft extensively with the 5D2 and 70-200/100-400/24-105/17-40 combo at apertures down to F2.8. The only problem i've really had is of vignetting which is common on full frame sensors.

Can you post a example picture of the problems you are having?

Chris
    Chris Sharps
    5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
    17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
    24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Chris,
      Thanks for your quick reply. Here is a fairly extreme example so it is clear at web resolution, with most of them not being anywhere near this bad, but still out of focus. (Note, I also dont know if you can see it on your screen at this resolution, as for some reason Photobucket will not let me upload at high res) If not, I could email/post to a different site. Notice how the back of the aircraft is in focus, whereas the front is out of focus. If it helps, it is more common with narrowbodies than widebodies, and this particular one was shot at F.8 at above 1/1000 of a second. Ive tried up to F11 and the problem still happens. Any ideas if its the camera or my settings?
      http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_7543.jpg
      Thanks
      Aaron
      Last edited by aaronacw; 2011-02-27, 03:13.

Comment

Hi Aaron,

I saved your image on my computer to look for the exif.
        The exif says :
        F/10
        640sec
        ISO200

Also see that you used the metering mode in partial setting but i don't know if this has any influence on the result when the weather is good.

Comment

Hi Aaron

at this size the photo looks OK for me. Can you upload a large JPG in original size? This should make it easier to find any faults.

Cheers
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

What are the focus points set to? Have you tried different focus point settings, for example switching between using all focus points and just centre point focus. I know when I got my 7D recently, I was using all focus points and the results were pretty disappointing for some reason but when I switched to centre point focus only it transformed the focussing.

Comment

Hi, Thank you all for your very speedy replies and good advice. Here is a the highest resolution photo I can upload to imageshack, You may have to download the photo to your computer to get full resolution straight from the camera, showing these problems. Compare the nose, especially the gear door, and the tail. Yes, I have tried different focus points, with the center being not so good, causing unsharps, and the best method seeming to be to use the far left focus point, but the focus being not so good, or using Automatic point selection with -2 microadjust. However, I microadjusted AF to -2 while spotting today and the problem seems to be much better, so I think it may be a calibration issue. For partial metering, I find when spotting in SIN, it produces much more "wow" results in alot of weather conditions, such as clouds, and I am used to using it on my 50D, so I was using what I am used to.

http://img34.imageshack.us/f/img7544qk.jpg/

Thank you again
              Aaron

Comment

I can see the problem with the China 737 is that it isn't centered. As far as sharpness goes on the main portion of the fuse and the rear where the reg/tail are it looks ok for a full res file. The nose softness could be due to mild camera shake which is a lot more evident on these large high res files.

I would reccomend against using the outer focusing points on the 5D as while the AF is good, it's not the best with moving objects. I either use centre point or all of them and always have the main centre point covering the fuse/wing in the middle. If your active focus point isn't covering the aircraft while it may focus fairly well, it can also pick up minor cloud detail or something in the air to throw it off focus slightly.

You mention you've microadjusted your camera which has helped. This is good but to use the microadjustment effectively you need to set the camera and desired lens up on a tripod and work through the different points without changing the exposure/focus mode/focal length and then compare the files to see which adjustment setting produces the sharpest result. See the two below links for a guide on how to use it...

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...djustment.html

http://www.sandrophoto.com/2010/02/2...ment-tutorial/

If you are shooting on good glass then shooting at F9-F11 isn't really needed as you will get good sharpness from F6.3-F8. I shoot primarily with my 70-200F2.8L on my 5D2 and i can shoot at F4 and still get usable aviation photos.

While your having problems put it in AV mode and set it at F8 and try to get a shutter speed of 1/1000 or even 1/1250 as this should eliminate any chance of camera shake.

Chris
                Chris Sharps
                5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Does it happen on all your lenses? Have you tried someone else's lens to see if it is the camera or the lens at all? I had the same problem, and it was the lens with a element that was out, caused 1/3rd of the image to be blurry.

Comment

Working...
                  X