Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 US Airports for Spotting/Photography

Curious with some feedback on your favorite spots in the USA
    Based on traffic,uniqueness, lack of hassle and convenience.Maybe MIA,LAX,ORD,LAX,ANC etc. I am wanting to here your experience and knowledge from your visit or visits to your favs.

And coming in last.....Buffalo!

Comment

KLAX
      [photoid=155147]
      [photoid=143358]
      [photoid=142587]
      [photoid=139832]

-Clovis

Comment

No doubt KLAX is number one on my list.

Comment

In no specific order, mine would have to be:
          PDX
          LAX
          LGB
          VNY
          That's all I can think of so far, that are my personal favorites considering lack of hassle

Comment

1. Miami - more variety than anywhere else, especially for those out-of-the-ordinary Latin-American carriers
            2. Los Angeles - OK, OK, I'll run with it but not at number one
            3. Anchorage - awesome scenery, real airplanes (propliners)
            4. New York JFK - big traffic, some excellent photos
            5. - difficult, maybe Fort Lauderdale, maybe San Francisco, maybe San Diego - somewhere where you don't have to work too hard, where the airplanes tend to come to you rather than the other way round

Andy

Comment

I;d say LAX has a really nice variety. We get latin stuff (Avianca, Lan Chile, Aero Union, Aviacsa, TACA, Mexicana, Aeromexico, Aeromexpress, MAsAir, and others, and then we get alot of Asian stuff MIA doesnt get, like China Southern, China Eastern, Air China, Asiana, Korean, Eva Air, and recently SIA triples.

I like LAX

-Clovis

Comment

1. DCA - "Somebody say Gravelly Point"
                2. BWI - "Many thanks to Tom Dixon"
                3. LAX - "Can't rival the heavies"
                4. SAN - "I wasn't watching planes on your parking garage"
                5. CMA - "Two C-46's, what can you say?"

My top 5 list.

Comment

Some feedback I see Is LAX a nightmare are there still some friendly spots.If it is anything like south Florida it depends on the day and the policemen on duty How about a hotel with nice access points.Clovis you should be the expert with these details.
                  Thanks
                  William Jenkins

Comment

Been spotting all day at LAX one summer ago with a few buds of mine, not including Clovis, but he was there. Didn't have any problems with being hassled. A few cops drove past by us without stopping.

Another airport I've never had problems with was O'Hare. Several various spotting areas on public property which is good for approach shots.

Another airports Greg also mentioned was DCA and BWI. Been spotting those airports for 11 years now and maybe only once I have been apporached by an airport police since I was technically on airport property but he still let me stay and shoot at DCA.

Kevin

Comment

I've never run into trouble at LAX, I've been asked some questions by the police once or twice, but thats it. If you don't act stupid they don't really have any reason to hassle you...

-Clovis

Comment

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Denver.

where's Jeff :P :P

bruce
                        View my photos at JP.Net
                        Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
                        Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

I'm here!

I don't count Denver as being a great spotters airport. Not enough variety for me, and it takes forever (15 miles) to go from one end of the airport to the other. I like LAX a lot, and have not been hassled there (yet). Seattle has been fun, sitting in the parking lots around BFI is interesting, but not real busy, you just never know what may taxi by or fly in. I have been to almost every state in the continental U.S. and not many have impressed me as much as LAX.

I think I can find good spots just about anywhere I go. A look at mapquest, and maybe a quick drive around the field and I will find a spot somewhere.

Jeff

Comment

CLT is a good place...if you like watching US Airways traffic all day long . Seriously, even though there isn't much variety, it at least has a official spotting area so no worries about getting hassled by cops. But construction of a new runway which is underway may change this .

James
                            Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                            No Frontiers

Comment

ATL is ok if you want to see a bunch of Delta planes. Unfortunately, there are not too many spots in which to take good photos, unless you hapen to work there and had SIDA access. My favorite aiport in the Atlanta area to spot @ is DeKalb-Peachtree Airport (PDK), which is the second-busiest airport in the state. A pretty good variety of bizjets and turboprops, plus it's where nearly all of the news and traffic copters are based out of. And they actually have a spotters area (currently being remade into more of a park than what is used to be) that actually broadcasts the ATC transmissions.

Comment

Working...
                              X