Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do you hold your 100-400mm?

Hi,

So I went out for the first time at KSAN with my new Canon 100-400mm, got some good results but the majority of them are quite blurry. I suspect I didn't/don't have the technique down that works best for me just yet.

So how do you guys hold your 100-400mm? I realised yesterday was that when the lens was not at either 100mm or 400mm my right arm which was doing the zooming as I pressed the shutter button, moved which created unwanted zooming...which then obviously gave me some really blurry pictures.

When I had it on "tight," it worked better, but it also gave me a weird feeling that it couldn't be good for the lens...or is it okay since it's designed to be like that?

Thanks...
    Kevin

I keep mine on the losest setting and make sure i just have a firm grip of it with my elbows tucked into my chest to get a solid grip on it.

Remember that it's a long lens and is prone to sway so if your finding your pics blurry, pop the ISO to 200 to get a stop of shutter speed and even open the lens up a 1/3 or 2/3's to 7.1 or 6.3 to give you some more speed. It will take a while but keep practising with it. Remember IS has two modes. 1 is for static subjects and 2 is for moving subjects so remember to have it set on 2 if your shooting moving aircraft.
    Chris Sharps
    5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
    17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
    24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Also using the AI Servo autofocus mode on your camera may help as well - this constantly updates the focus point. I think it is best suited to tracking moving objects, but may also help a quick recovery from slight changes in the focal length.

The weight of the lens takes a bit of getting used to keeping steady, but as with everything practice makes perfect. I guess you'll just have to head out to the airport a bit more often... what a shame!

Comment

One little offtopic question from me :

Do you guys use all AF-points ? Or just the center one ?

Cheers
        Bjorn

Comment

Mainly the single point but sometimes multi point, depending on what im shooting or the weather.
          Chris Sharps
          5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
          17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
          24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
          1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Thanks Chris

Comment

Okay! Sorry gone for a while due to midterms...but thanks for the help. I might head out to the airport this weekend depending on the weather. I will keep on practicing!

Comment

Chris,

I was led to believe that keeping the 100-400 in mode 1 was "better" because this deals with the horizontal movement whereas in mode 2 both horizontal and vertical IS elements are on. When panning the motion tends to be more horizontal than vertical. Most of my actions shot taken with it that are here are taken that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn1979 View Post
                  One little offtopic question from me :

Do you guys use all AF-points ? Or just the center one ?

Cheers
                  Bjorn
                  All 7 on my 1000D...

I shot with the 100-400L and I either put the tripod collar upside down (facing up) or hold the camera with it. I put my elbow on my chest sometimes but most of the time just hold it "normally". I go on the loosest tightning as it is a bit harder to push and pull on this lens and I want to zoom in/out as fast as possible. 98% of my shots were not blurry with this lens except with a 2x. But that is a different story.
                  Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Working...
                  X