JetPhotos storage space and backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JetPhotos storage space and backup

Hi all, I've been uploading to JP for 7 years now and enjoy every moment I spend on this site.

Just something I've been pondering past few days, the pics on this site just hit the 2 million mark and its growing at a good pace. Just wondering will this site ever run out of storage space, considering many upload pics at 1600 pixels across? Not that I mass upload, but my uploads are very selective and of the best quality I can produce.

Also are there any backup devices for photos on this site? I'm sure no uploaders will want their pics, which they've loaded for years, to vanish over night if the unfortunate happens.(Hope it'll never happen of course!)

Cheers!

Don't worry, the site is regularely backuped. As for storage space, it's all a matter of costs .
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

There was a very unfortunate incident in the very early days of the site so these days backing up the site is taken very seriously. The database is regularly backed up and also there are multiple server sites with one in the US and one in Europe I believe at professional data centres.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
        There was a very unfortunate incident in the very early days of the site so these days backing up the site is taken very seriously. The database is regularly backed up and also there are multiple server sites with one in the US and one in Europe I believe at professional data centres.
        There was in indeed James but I think it was only uploaded shots awaiting screening that were lost so even if not an apocalyptic situation it did concentrate the mind of Chris and others at the helm to that issue.

Comment

Au contraire: it happened twice within a short time, back in the very early days between dec 2002 and feb 2003. Not just the queued photos, but all photos (or at least part of) were deleted. That was a hard lesson, but fortunately in the very, very early days. Since then, a tough backup management has been put in place. We had our storage hicups from time to time, as all server facilities have, including a huge fire in one of the data servers, but with very limited effect to the db, if any at all.

That's why we have those longer response times from time to time, several times a day, when the backups are running.
          Last edited by LX-A343; 2011-08-15, 08:49.

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
            Au contraire: it happened twice within a short time, back in the very early days between dec 2002 and feb 2003. Not just the queued photos, but all photos (or at least part of) were deleted.
            Don't remember the last bit Gerardo but I do take your word that it happened....pity all of my dodgy uploads taken with my Sony Maviaca 2.1 mp survived

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
              Don't remember the last bit Gerardo but I do take your word that it happened....pity all of my dodgy uploads taken with my Sony Maviaca 2.1 mp survived
              [SARCASM ON]
              One could think, that crappy photos survived, top shots not. Needless to say: My photos have been deleted then
              [SARCASM OFF]

Comment

Working...
              X