Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikon D5000- Thoughts, Comments, Recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon D5000- Thoughts, Comments, Recommendations.

Hi All,

I've been reading and researching into buying a new DSLR. I plan to upgrade to one sometime in the near future. I've already decided to buy something in the Nikon Family, I have more experience shooting with them, I know the setup and they feel comfortable in my hands.

One Camera that I have been looking at is the Nikon D5000. From what I've read it seems like a good camera, bearing very similar characteristics to the older D90 (Similar sensor, good low light/high ISO Performance).

It seems that the D5000 is a more user friendly version of the D90, I notice the layout of the grip has been changed. On the D90 there is a display screen as well as several buttons for things like AF and Metering, on the oppisite side there is a dial with a few scene modes. On the D5000 Grip it has an Info Button, Exposure Compensation button and a single dial for a bunch of scene modes in the place of the D90 screen. I'm not really a fan of the user friendly setup, I like to have the extra controls at my fingertips.

However, I still like the D5000, because it seems less bulky than the D90. It also has some more features. But the D5000 is cheaper and almost the same as the D90.

So, for any D5000 users or anyone who as shot with or has input, I would like to know more about the D5000 as a spotting camera as well as an SLR in general. The pluses, the minuses, things you like, features, reccomendations, comments, recommendations, opinions etc...

Also, I know the D90 is recommended over the D5000. I have been looking at the D90 from the start, and I really like it, I've heard nothing but good things about it and if I can't find anything with other Nikons that tops the D90, then I would definitely buy one.

The D90 may be what I end up buying, but I am looking at the D5000 because I want to explore all my options before buying.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks very much.

-WJ

All of my photos here are taken with a D5000 and various lenses. It was actually my first DSLR camera and so far, I have been extremely pleased with its performance and results. My dad always shot on Nikon, so my preference had been set since I was a child (my purchase was not a marketing decision).

For the price, the D5000 is a sweet value. Everything is accessible. Good lens options out there-I was surprised with my choices. D5000 requires DX lenses and 3rd party lenses utilizing AF. Yes the GUI is amateur in design but it can be changed. Menu systems are a little cumbersome when switching the ISO, metering, or exposure compensation. I can usually get around 800 shots on one charge. Burst mode shooting is fast, power-up times are almost instantaneous.

First major gripe is the annoyingly slow auto focus in live view...it is useless. Secondly, the viewfinder only covers around 95% of actual view, so I'm constantly trying to maximize my zoom without chopping off a nose or tail

All in all, I have become hooked to photography because of my camera. Even though the model has been discontinued, I would say D5000 is still a very, very strong choice for entry-level or the photog hobbyist.

Only differences between D90 and D5000 are lens mounting options, viewfinder on D90 covers 100% and D90 body is magnesium alloy to protect from harsh weather conditions.

Hope that helps you in the decision making process

flickr

Comment

Be careful what you pay, because there is now the D5100 released for a similar price point.

Comment

Working...
      X