Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan is a Lucky Bastard!

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my excitement. I bought myself (with a bit of support) a brand new 70-200 f/4L USM Lens! I am really proud to step into the "L" series world and happy to be able to progress with my photography with something much better than a 55-250 IS lens. This lens so far feels amazing. The well built feel, the quality, the versatility, the weight, the nice big hood

Some pictures taken with it should come up sometimes this week perhaps.

Meanwhile here she is:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Wishing you many "L"'s
    Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Very nice! Congrats on the equipment upgrade

Comment

You call that lucky? You got the 4.0 instead of the 2.8!

Just kidding, that's a nice lense! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!
      Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

That's a nice piece of glass. No excuses now Jan.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

The Canon f4L glass is the best lens for the money, and I use it as my main telephoto lens, autofocus is the quickest that I have experienced across all my lenses. I would love to have the f2.8L IS lens but this would give the bank manager a heart attack.!!
          There is nothing like the smell of JetA1 in the morning!

Comment

oh my that is a $1,300 lens...congratulations on your purchase Jan and hoping to see some excellent shots on JP soon.

By the way, Ottawa was rather warm this winter would you agree?
            Remember on your hardest days, that the airplanes always take off against the wind... afterwards, the skies are all yours.

Comment

Just the basic one.... I would not get the f/4 without IS. Just not good enough range and can't use the converter.

Cant say I know any aviation photographers here using the 200/f4. The 100-400 is the lens of choice, if you cant afford the 200 f/2.8 IS, However seeing I got fed up with planes and many in the community I would like to sell my 100-400L

Side not, interesting to see you become senior in the forum by posting more, not by being a member longer.......
              Last edited by hkgspotter1; 2012-02-13, 02:36.

Comment

I have the non-IS f4. It has served me well for a year now. Not too good in low light, but great for travel. It does take the 1.4x converter (which I have), making it great for travel, as I have 2 ranges in one lens. My 80-400 OS covers more than that (and is stabilized), but weighs a lot more, which does make a difference when traveling.

I'm thinking about eventually upgrading to the f4 IS for traveling; and believe it or not, I've heard multiple people saying they wish they had kept their f4 alongside their new f2.8 for those times they didn't need the extra stop, as the f2.8 is also heavier.
                [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by hkgspotter1 View Post
                  interesting to see you become senior in the forum by posting more, not by being a member longer.......
                  So, for example someone could be a member for 10 years and post 3 times and you think that should give a more 'senior' position than someone who's been registered for 4 years and has 1500 posts? What kind of bizarre logic is that?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, it's just that point made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
                  Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

......Side not, interesting to see you become senior in the forum by posting more, not by being a member longer.......
                    Put up a few more posts, even if they are sarcastic ones, and you'll get the senior member rating. It's an automatic rating based on post count, you don't apply for it, you don't get it by length of service, it just happens.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                      Very nice! Congrats on the equipment upgrade
                      Thanks!
                      Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                      You call that lucky? You got the 4.0 instead of the 2.8!

Just kidding, that's a nice lense! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!
                      LOL!
                      Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      That's a nice piece of glass. No excuses now Jan.
                      Thanks. Lol, processing makes the biggest difference once submitting.
                      Originally posted by atsey64 View Post
                      The Canon f4L glass is the best lens for the money, and I use it as my main telephoto lens, autofocus is the quickest that I have experienced across all my lenses. I would love to have the f2.8L IS lens but this would give the bank manager a heart attack.!!
                      Haha I agree!
                      Originally posted by coke View Post
                      oh my that is a $1,300 lens...congratulations on your purchase Jan and hoping to see some excellent shots on JP soon.

By the way, Ottawa was rather warm this winter would you agree?
                      800$ lens... Thanks.
                      Ottawa is warm sometimes, last week it was +3 and yesterday -18C so it varies. It's still winter you know
                      Just the basic one.... I would not get the f/4 without IS. Just not good enough range and can't use the converter.

Cant say I know any aviation photographers here using the 200/f4. The 100-400 is the lens of choice, if you cant afford the 200 f/2.8 IS, However seeing I got fed up with planes and many in the community I would like to sell my 100-400L

Side not, interesting to see you become senior in the forum by posting more, not by being a member longer.......
                      No problem without IS for the f4, no one ever complained about it. I'm 14, so if I were to own 2.8 glass that would be rather surreal as even adults can't always afford such lenses.
                      Senior member, I don't give a crap! What's it change in mine or your life? I haven't even noticed until you brought it up. Like seriously, that's childish.
                      Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
                      I have the non-IS f4. It has served me well for a year now. Not too good in low light, but great for travel. It does take the 1.4x converter (which I have), making it great for travel, as I have 2 ranges in one lens. My 80-400 OS covers more than that (and is stabilized), but weighs a lot more, which does make a difference when traveling.

I'm thinking about eventually upgrading to the f4 IS for traveling; and believe it or not, I've heard multiple people saying they wish they had kept their f4 alongside their new f2.8 for those times they didn't need the extra stop, as the f2.8 is also heavier.
                      It's a great lens, it's very light and small but sharp. Low light, 2.8 is great but not something I can afford. 100-400L I also want but I don't even work so tough luck! Owning both f/4 and 2.8 is great.
                      Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      Put up a few more posts, even if they are sarcastic ones, and you'll get the senior member rating. It's an automatic rating based on post count, you don't apply for it, you don't get it by length of service, it just happens.
                      Yeah been some spam past 2 years, much less posting from me since a while.
                      Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

if you just plan on shooting in the daytime without an IS function is fine...but if you want to do some panning/low light photography of an moving object or motionless object, IS is much preferred. It depends on your style...generally though, IS is a great + in every situation.

Comment

I've been able to do a few pannings at 1/125 with no stabilizer, but it's a hit and miss. For not spending an extra $500 which I later put into another lens (a stabilized one), I can live with the decision of going with the cheapest one.
                          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

And again, it really depends on what type of photography you want to be able to do. Everything takes practice, I have done a few successful panning shot with my old 75-300mm in the past too, but even with my current L IS lens I still find it a hit and miss.

What I meant by much preferred, is that the success rate is higher with an IS lens. What the IS does is that it compensates the side motion...you can do a panning with 1/125 (if the object is moving fast), but with an IS lens, and with skill/luck you can do it with a shutter speed of as low as 1/20 (some photos were taken at a lower shutter speed). Bare in mind it depends on the situation, for example how much light you have and how fast the object is moving...

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7230048

Comment

Nice pickup Jan!!

We'll see you at the fence!!

Photosmart55

Comment

Working...
                              X