No announcement yet.

lens converters, how good are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the AF will work. I can put a 1.4TC on my Sigma 135-400 5.6 and the AF still works on the D200/300. Not fast and not good under bad light, but it works. (Although the resulting image quality is not worth the effort any way and the TC 1.4 usually goes with my 80-200 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe View Post
      Nope GD wasn't thinking about me
      Damn

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
        I bought a Kenko 1.4TC exactly for these reasons: I can attach it to far more lenses, than the Canon TC. I can even use it on my 24-105, which is not possible with the Canon TC.
        Sorry Hinkelbein (fellow dutch spotter ) for using your topic, got one question left :

Kenko 1.4TC is much cheaper than original Canon 1.4TC, here in holland Kenko costs € 164, original Canon costs € 459. What is the difference in quality compared to difference in price (almost € 300)

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
          Maybe the AF will work. I can put a 1.4TC on my Sigma 135-400 5.6 and the AF still works on the D200/300. Not fast and not good under bad light, but it works. (Although the resulting image quality is not worth the effort any way and the TC 1.4 usually goes with my 80-200 2.
          Maybe. I don't know how Nikon bodies are supposed to work, but with Canon, I believe that only the 1D (not the 1Dx) and maybe the 5D bodies are capable of autofocusing at f8. All other bodies will have poor autofocus or the camera will simply refuse to autofocus. I know some people have used the 7D with the 100-400 and a 1.4x and use live view / contrast detection AF to focus. Good for spying on your neighbor, not so good for photographing the Thunderbirds.

The Canon TC is definitely expensive. I was able to get the version II (I believe the III was already out by then) for a much lower price than the current III. I believe Kenko is owned by the same company as Tokina and Hoya, and they say their TC's use glass supplied by Hoya. That said, I use both Tokina and Hoya products and have no complaints about the optical quality of them.
          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn1979 View Post
            Sorry Hinkelbein (fellow dutch spotter ) for using your topic, got one question left :

Kenko 1.4TC is much cheaper than original Canon 1.4TC, here in holland Kenko costs € 164, original Canon costs € 459. What is the difference in quality compared to difference in price (almost € 300)
            I can't tell you a difference based on own experiences, but I checked online reviews and most mentioned, that there was hardly any difference in optical quality. Unfortunately, I don't remember, where I read those tests .
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I use the Canon L f/4 70-200 with a Kenko 1,4 TC for years and I am very,very happy with that combination.
              Many,many times I have thought about changing to a L 100-400, but for me it's not wort the extra money so far.
              When I have to change, than it will be the 70-200 f 2,8 for sure.

Freek

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                Unfortunately, I don't remember, where I read those tests .
                Hopefully not after a few beers !

Thanks Gerardo.

Cheers
                Bjorn

Comment

What's the difference between a teleconverter and an extension tube?

Yes, this does sound newbish, but Wikipedia is blacked out at the moment.
                  And I've never used anything but a lens.

And another question:
                  On eBay there's a lot of affordable converters that all fit Canon-FD. What's FD and does it fit with the EOS 400D that I have and/or the EF70-300mm lens that I have?
                  Last edited by Hinkelbein; 2012-01-18, 21:24. Reason: added another question

Comment

Something that i found on this link :

A teleconverter is designed to increase the apparent focal length of a lens. For example, in the Canon system, a 135mm lens can become 189mm or 270mm lens with the addition of the proper teleconverter. This increased focal length comes at the cost of speed of the lens, in the previous example, the f2 135mm becomes an f2.8 or an f4 when the teleconverter is attached. An extension tube is designed to increase image size on the film or sensor so that macro / extreme close up photos can be taken

Hopefully i'm correct but most Canon EOS camera's have EF mount, FD is a different mount so doesn't fit on your Canon EOS 400D.

Like Gerardo said on the first page a converter on a 70-300mm doesn't gonna work because of the lack of autofocus.

I remember reading something about taping of 3 contactpoints on your camera to get the autofocus working when you have a 70-300 with converter but thats probably not ideal.

I think you could better save some extra money and buy a 100-400. The Canon 100-400 is still quit expensive, maybe you could look for Sigma but don't witch brands you like.

Bjorn

Comment

The FD mount is the pre-EF mount. It's manual everything, but it will only mount to the F-1, T-series (and I believe the A-series will also accept FD)
                      [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Based on all your answers (thank you!) and some additional research on the web, I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed wiser to wait some time and get myself a 400mm lens.
                        I think a Sigma or Tamron will be alsmost as good as a original Canon lens, yet they're more affordable for me

Comment

For lens tests, try here for example:

Cheerio
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

This site also has some good reviews: www.photozone.de

If you want a "cheap" solution, I would try to find one of those used: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/30...review?start=2

Comment

Working...
                            X