Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on kit

Hey everyone!

So after a few years, I'm finally replacing my trusty Fuji S5600 and moving on to the big bad world of a DSLR.

I'm going across to America in April so the plan was to buy kit over there as it does seem to be cheaper than buying over here. I was initially looking between the Canon 550D/600D and the Nikon D3100/D5100 for the body in order to stick to the sort of budget I have.

The issue is what lens to buy. Even with the amount of reading I've done, I really don't have a clue where to start. The camera won't just be for aviation use, so I'm thinking having two lenses would probably be best? Most of my shots will be taken at Edinburgh airport so most of the time I will be relatively close to the fence. My budget is around $800 when I'm over there, which equates to £504 here, which may not seem like a lot, but I feel I can still get a decent kit for the money. With that budget is it better to just stick to one lense?

Any advice on the camera body and lense(s) would be gratefully appreciated

Cheers,

Mike

On the Nikon side the best lens for a limited budget is the AF-S 70-300VR.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
      On the Nikon side the best lens for a limited budget is the AF-S 70-300VR.
      Absolutely. Tie that in with a D3100 kit with the 18-105VR and you'll have a nice focal length coverage.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Lens wise on the Canon side, the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS lenses are amazing for their price.
        Sam Rudge
        A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

A D3100 kit and extra 70-300VR lens will actually come out at around US$950 so maybe I'm advising outside of your budget.

I've been having a look on Ebay at US availability. Worthwhile looking there and maybe arranging a pick up in the states when you get there. One word of caution...there are some multi lens kits around which advertise an 18-55VR with a 70-300 as well. Be aware that most of these are not the 70-300VR, they are the older and 3 times cheaper non VR version.

Comment

Nikon D3100 Kit incl. AF-S DX 18-55 mm VR und AF-S DX 55-300 mm VR - might just be inside the budget The 55-300 is not as good as the 70-300 but imho one of the best lenses for the price and although it has noticeable softness at 300mm and wide open, it is improving even if just stepped down by one stop. At f8 it performs decently over the whole zoom range. CAs are very small, vignetting no issue.

Comment

It might also be worthwhile looking around for a D5100 kit with the 16.2mpixel sensor much the same as the the D7000 has. Several offers around with an 18-55VR and 55-300VR. Some very reasonable deals on the US market.
              Out of interest, whereabouts in the states are you going ?

Comment

Thanks for all the comments so far! I'll have a look at the suggestions and see what sort of deals I can get just now. You never know if the prices will drop in a couple of months!

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                It might also be worthwhile looking around for a D5100 kit with the 16.2mpixel sensor much the same as the the D7000 has. Several offers around with an 18-55VR and 55-300VR. Some very reasonable deals on the US market.
                Out of interest, whereabouts in the states are you going ?
                I'm heading to New York.

Comment

New York. OK, in that case....

Scroll down for current Nikon offers. Most expire on Feb 25th but they might let you buy now and hold it for you.

or...

We provide all types of services to suit all your NEEDS such as nikon d7500, canon 80d body, nikon d500 body and more.

Currently selling a D3100 with 18-55VR and 55-200VR for $749.

I just Googled "New York Camera Shops". There's more to look at. Looks like there's some good deals out there at the moment.
                  Last edited by brianw999; 2012-02-03, 00:12.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    New York. OK, in that case....

Scroll down for current Nikon offers. Most expire on Feb 25th but they might let you buy now and hold it for you.

or...

We provide all types of services to suit all your NEEDS such as nikon d7500, canon 80d body, nikon d500 body and more.

Currently selling a D3100 with 18-55VR and 55-200VR for $749.

I just Googled "New York Camera Shops". There's more to look at. Looks like there's some good deals out there at the moment.
                    Cheers for that. The other bundle I saw was at http://www.adorama.com/INKD3100KL2.html

The store isn't too far away from my hotel, along with B&H store so I'll probably have a good look around them all.

Comment

Visiting B&H is a must for camera enthusiasts. Its our sacred holy place.
                      Sam Rudge
                      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

One thing to check for is a worldwide warranty. Many items, not just cameras bought in the US are not warranted in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                        X