Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to see if a lens would fit on my EOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to see if a lens would fit on my EOS?

Hello guys,

Once again I seek your advice.

This may be a newby's question, so please don't shoot me

I am looking for a lens on the internet, mainly on sites like eBay or, for the Netherlands where I'm from, on Marktplaats.

My question is: how can I see if a lens will fit on my EOS 400D?
    Some descriptions say that the lens will fit on a Canon, but does this automatically mean that it will fit on my EOS as well?

I am just a bit confused, and I haven't been drinking ... yet.

Cheers,

Hinkelbein

The lens needs to have an ef or ef-s mount to fit on your 400d.

Comment

Okay, so the description should say something like EF70-300 etc.?

For instance, this one would fit, too? EF 80-200mm tele zoom 4.5-5.6
      (Just an exemple, not the one I want to buy.)
      Last edited by Hinkelbein; 2012-02-03, 13:56. Reason: added an exemple

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
        Okay, so the description should say something like EF70-300 etc.?

For instance, this one would fit, too? EF 80-200mm tele zoom 4.5-5.6
        (Just an exemple, not the one I want to buy.)

Yes.

Comment

And what does AF mean in for exemple Tamron AF 18-200mm f3.5-6.3?
          Does it stand for Auto Focus?

If so: if a lens is offered with a description like this AF18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI-II IF Macro for Canon, than technically you still can't see from the description if it fits on the EOS, because I don't see EF somewhere ...
          Last edited by Hinkelbein; 2012-02-03, 14:27.

Comment

You might find this link useful...

The Canon Rebel film bodies use the EF mount lenses. All modern Canon EOS cameras, including all digital EOS cameras will also accept EF mount lense. The EF and EF-S lenses are compatible with the Rebel series. However, the lenses that typically come with a Rebel (EF-S) are compatible only with Canon cameras that have a 1.6 crop factor. Cameras with the 1.3 or no crop feature will not accept the EF-S lenses. The lens mounts deeper than the mirror will tolerate.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              Thanks Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post

If so: if a lens is offered with a description like this AF18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI-II IF Macro for Canon, than technically you still can't see from the description if it fits on the EOS, because I don't see EF somewhere ...
                Yes, I believe EF/EF-S is protected by Canon, so 3rd party mfrs use different names, but if it says for Canon / for Canon EF/AF/EOS it'll work.
                [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Yet another additional question:

Do lenses that are offered (ebay etc.) together with analog EOS cameras fit on digital EOS cameras as well?

Comment

ANY Canon EF lens will fit ANY Canon EOS Camera.
                    However, this does not apply to EF-S, These only fit APS-C Cameras.
                    For third party lenses, it should be an AF lens for Canon. If its designated a DC (Sigma), Di II (Tamron; Note Di Lenses will work on all cameras!) or DX (Tokina) lens, it will only fit APS-C Cameras.
                    Sam Rudge
                    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Talking about lenses, has anyone here experience with:
                      Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (for Canon).

Reviews are very diverse so it's not easy to decide.
                      Some even says that an earlier version gives sharper pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Louwen View Post
                        Talking about lenses, has anyone here experience with:
                        Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (for Canon).

Reviews are very diverse so it's not easy to decide.
                        Some even says that an earlier version gives sharper pictures.
                        Wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. That may be a bit hard, but a 5 foot poll nonetheless.

Assuming your photog profile is correct, I'd sell these two lenses Canon EF 28-90 1:4-5:6 & Canon EF 75-300 1:4-5:6 III then buy a Canon EF 18-55 IS.
                        You could probably do that with no real loss of money and then your 18-55 and your 70-300 IS will outperform the tamron at all zoom ranges, well except at 55-70! If you wanna spend some money there are other options.

While superzooms may look attractive, never needing to change lenses or such, they generally are soft at the long end, have huge barrel distortion at the long end and less than ideal AF accuracy. Most people buy a DSLR for better image quality so why spend all that money on camera then put bad glass in front of it?
                        Sam Rudge

Comment

@ Simpelboy, it's indeed the comfort of not changing lenses (so much). But at the end the result of course is what one goes for. It's like having a very good HiFi device, the sound have to comes out of the speakers and if these are not of a good quality, every sound produced will be S..!

Comment

Originally posted by J.Louwen View Post
                            @ Simpelboy, it's indeed the comfort of not changing lenses (so much). But at the end the result of course is what one goes for. It's like having a very good HiFi device, the sound have to comes out of the speakers and if these are not of a good quality, every sound produced will be S..!
                            Speaking of a HiFi devices, I need some good speakers to pair up to my fathers old amp he's lent to me!
                            May I suggest then a Canon 18-135 IS (about same price as that Tamron) or Sigma 18-125 OS (Much cheaper). Between the Canon and Sigma theres not much in it, however they both outperform the Tamron. You can check out how much 'zoom' you get by using one of your 70-300's, however, you'll notice a world of improvement going from a 28mm lens to a 18mm lens.
                            Sam Rudge

Comment

Have to say that since I settled on a Sigma 17-70 and Nikon 70-300VR I really don't need anything else. I'm also lucky in that I have two camera bodies so I don't have to change lenses and therefore avoid the dreaded dust induction.
                              I do have a Sigma 120-400 OS, Sigma's version of Nikon's VR but it's a huge lump at 1.7kg that needs good light so it doesn't come out of the bag too often.
                              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                              X