Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 400/2.8II amazing..

G'day all
    A couple of weeks i was lucky enough to pick up a Canon 400/2.8 II when on a trip to Singapore. Its hard enough to even find one even if your in the position to be able to afford one!!
    Anyway having seen what a 400/2.8 I could do as several friends have used them and i have played with them in the past.
    So for a visit to Sydney over the last week i put her through her paces at different times and locations pretty much most of which where to see what you could get out of it.
    To say its a brilliant lens is the understatement of the century.
    To me its a game changer.
    Canon has somehow got its weight down to be easily hand holdable which is a miracle in its own right and almost a kilo lighter than the Nikon.
    The big difference is in the balance its cg is right where you rest the lens on your hand making it so easy to use where the old one was very heavy at the end of the barrell.
    It is a major engineering achievement.
    Using it on the Wimberley is a joy...a few pics from my first night out..most of these where shot in the region of 1/13th to 1/25th which when combined with a MK4 means an effective focal length of 550mm...pretty decent.
    a few images from the first night.

As you can see pretty much the sky is the limit!!

The big surprise however is just how amazing it is with converters. I have never seen anything like this performance from any other super tele.
    When using a 1.4x or 2x series III converters there is very little image degradation at all.
    As an example using a 2x

Original image

Crop unsharpened...

Please note the aircraft is around 4000' and a total distance away of around 2km.

What is even more amazing is stacking the TC's here is a shot with the 2x and the 1.4x
    Yes the AF still works..

Here's the crop again unsharpened etc

The performance of this lens is staggering at worst and utterley insane at best. It is by FAR the best long lens ever built bar none bar any manufacturer
    As someone who really didnt think these new Canon series II super's would be than much better i am pretty shocked.
    The TC performance of these lenses is staggering with very little difference if any with the TC fitted. I cant see any difference in speed and almost none in accuracy once locked.
    With one lens and some TC's you have every focal length covered...400...560 and 800 and all provide stellar results.
    What an amazing lens im glad i have one!!!!

Seems to be an amazing lens ... and then I checked the price ... I guess, it's not going be in my photo bag in the next few centuries
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Cmon Gerado start saving you know you want one!!!!

A few more from the second shoot where the wind was lighter letting shots down to 1/8th..

Comment

Oh my God! This monster in the Holy Land it's around 11,000 U.S. dollars!
        Sorry, but It's fell from my next purchase plan ...

Comment

I don't know what you do for a living Darren but......

........ you are paid FAR too much !!!
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Unbelievable price and unbelievable shots!! Well done!
            For 11K it better take extenders well haha! Would you say the 300f/2.8 IS II is sharper wide open than the 400 2.8 II?
            The 300f/2.8 should be in my hands in the next few years =D
            Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Aren't most of these new "II" primes in short supply due to last year's tsunami?

I got a chance to play with a 300/2.8 IS and that thing is amazing. Heavy, but amazing. Maybe in a few years... I'm dying to try the 200-400 f4 with the integrated 1.4x TC though, I'll have to rent it for a weekend.
              [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
                Aren't most of these new "II" primes in short supply due to last year's tsunami?

I got a chance to play with a 300/2.8 IS and that thing is amazing. Heavy, but amazing. Maybe in a few years... I'm dying to try the 200-400 f4 with the integrated 1.4x TC though, I'll have to rent it for a weekend.
                Actually the 300 f/2.8 isn't too bad, compare it to the 500 f/4L it's great. Very sharp wide open, not that big, easily hand holdable and rapid.

Comment

Hey Brian I sold the 600 I owned to help pay for it!!
                  Lol..
                  On a serious note they are expensive and a big sacrifice. However once you have used a super you will be hooked for life.
                  There is nothing like using a piece of gear made from he most advanced materials that is built and assembled by hand and then individually tested and calibrated.
                  Reminds me of how much care the Japanese used building Samurai swords to me it's a similar process.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=OkWsk9rXpcU

Comment

And just like a Samurai sword, this lens can kill ... at least my wallet
                    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I think in that case Gerado I have a serial killer buried in my wallet somewhere!
                      Next airport in Europe on the list is Zurich Gerado be looking forward to it or to long.
                      Sure the 400 will find some great night action there somewhere!

Comment

Great shots as always Darren. What a lens I am sure it's one of the best Canon has ever produced.

$11,000 is not that much for a lens like that I guess. But I still think I am getting my BMW M3 this summer...so haha...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                          Great shots as always Darren. What a lens I am sure it's one of the best Canon has ever produced.

$11,000 is not that much for a lens like that I guess. But I still think I am getting my BMW M3 this summer...so haha...
                          Not that much...
                          BMW M3, damn! That's a rocket of a car

Comment

Working...
                          X