Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue sky vs. grey sky

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blue sky vs. grey sky

    Guys,

    Why are so many of my skies grey while the sky was perfectly blue on that day?

    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...7314046&nseq=4

    Has it something to do with light metering method?

    Cheers,

    Hinkelbein

  • #2
    It's mostly to do with exposure so in essence yes, metering, but it's perfectly natural. You could take a photo of a dark plane in a clear blue sky and then a light one straight after it and the sky would be a slightly different colour because the camera has metered differently for the two aircraft. Don't worry about it, just expose whatever you're shooting correctly. The differences aren't a flaw, they're just a natural part of the camera doing what it does.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

    My images on Flickr

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by PMN View Post
      It's mostly to do with exposure so in essence yes, metering, but it's perfectly natural. You could take a photo of a dark plane in a clear blue sky and then a light one straight after it and the sky would be a slightly different colour because the camera has metered differently for the two aircraft. Don't worry about it, just expose whatever you're shooting correctly. The differences aren't a flaw, they're just a natural part of the camera doing what it does.
      It still somewhat bothers me.
      Don't understand me wrong, I am happy with most of my pictures, but it's something I just don't master (yet?):
      to get well lit aircraft AND have blue skies (if available, of course).

      Comment


      • #4
        The skies above you might have been nice and blue but I would think that the reason for the greyish blue sky in the example you give is because you are shooting horizontally to the ground and from a high viewpoint as well. Doing this means that you are shooting through the lower lying smog and dust layers of the city which has given the greyish appearance. I'd guarantee that if you took a shot from there of an overhead aircraft then the sky would be a nice blue because you are shooting through a much thinner layer of dust/smog.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

        Comment


        • #5
          Witch i have perfect examples of. Picture are from the same aircraft, difference is only a couple of seconds. The pictures are un-edited but the difference in skycolor is clearly visible :





          Even on a winterday skies are not completely clearly blue

          Comment


          • #6
            Aaaah, Bjorn, you need to come to Heathrow again then. This was the 19th February.....

            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
              It still somewhat bothers me.
              Don't understand me wrong, I am happy with most of my pictures, but it's something I just don't master (yet?):
              to get well lit aircraft AND have blue skies (if available, of course).
              I think I understand more what you mean now and unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that. Getting those clear blue skies only happens when certain random circumstances just happen to stack in your favour. Sometimes conditions are perfect and everything comes together to give nice clear blue skies (including the things Brian has mentioned like the amount of atmosphere you're shooting through), and sometimes it doesn't work out like that. It isn't something you can change with camera settings, it just either happens or it doesn't.

              Just a quick addition, I'm probably not really qualified enough to talk about this anyway, as a Brit I haven't seen a blue sky for fecking years!
              Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

              My images on Flickr

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PMN View Post
                Just a quick addition, I'm probably not really qualified enough to talk about this anyway, as a Brit I haven't seen a blue sky for fecking years!
                Whuhaha!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  Aaaah, Bjorn, you need to come to Heathrow again then. This was the 19th February.....
                  Hahaha, i definitly have to do that Brian, next trip is planned in June so it's gonna take a while.....

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X