Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[quick reply wished] Spotting at Boscombe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [quick reply wished] Spotting at Boscombe?

Hello guys,

My apologies for my rather impertinent title of this thread, but I'll explain.

I'll be off to England for four days on 24 May, visiting a friend. I'll be landing at Southampton. This friend suggested we go to Boscombe, but he does not know if there is any chance of doing some spotting there.

I used the search option, but could not find anything useful about it.

I have two questions actually:

1.) Is there some spotting to do at Southampton airport?
    2.) What possibilities are there for Boscombe?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers,

Hinkelbein

Here is a link to spotting at Southampton..... http://mobile.plane-mad.com/airport-...-sou-eghi.html

And here for Boscombe Down..... http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...combe-down.php

Be careful at both places. The police at Southampton can be rather anal regarding spotters and the police at Boscombe are the same....but they also have guns ! Happily I've never known them to open fire
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks Brian, this really helps me and my friend.

Too bad I won't have time to meet you, I really would like to meet the Big Boss behind all this

No, then I would not give others the credit they deserve. I was just exaggerating

Now, there's one thing to hope for: good weather in the coming days.
      Here, in the Netherlands, it's actually warm today, it's a summer day. Great temperature, great sun

Cheers,

Hinkelbein

Comment

Rumour has it that the UK is looking forward to a bit of a heatwave. I see from your avatar that you have the same hairstyle as me !!! so bring a hat !!

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Rumour has it that the UK is looking forward to a bit of a heatwave. I see from your avatar that you have the same hairstyle as me !!! so bring a hat !!
          Hahaha, Brian! I'll make sure to bring a hat, thanks for the good advice!
          It would be nice if the weather would be good.

I just sat in my garden, it's really hot today, it's 26 Celcius. I hope this year will be different from last year. Back then, we had several good days in May, but those warm days turned out to be the only warm days that year

Comment

That hairstyle becomes a family tradition.
            At my head it's natural, at the head of Hinkelbein it's more artificial!

Comment

Well, I have returned from my small trip to England.
              We've seen a lot of Chinooke helicopters high in the sky and saw them land at Boscombe (at least that's what we suspected), and on the day that we actually went there, we haven't seen any air traffic. How unlucky can you be.
              After we had left and gone to my friend's house, we saw from afar two Hercules aircraft heading for Boscombe! We missed them!

Still I had a great time an d that's what really matters!

EDIT:
              I forgot to mention that we visited Popham Airfield. Nice smaller props, nice people there too. One of the men in charge told us we could go anywhere we wanted as long as we would keep off the actual runways. SO that gave us good opportunities to take pictures.
              Last edited by Hinkelbein; 2012-05-28, 09:44. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Glad you enjoyed Popham. It must rank as one of the all time top enthusiast friendly GA airfields. Our only rule there is "don't walk into a turning prop"

If anyone visits during a fly in and you want to get on the other side of the runway then please come and ask one of the marshals for assistance as it can get very busy sometimes. There is one particularly fat bastard ( AKA .... Me ! ) who can often be found running around in a golf buggy with a "Follow Me" board on the back. The generally accepted currency for a lift somewhere is a can of beer !!!

By the way, if you are visiting be aware that we often use both runways during fly ins, one for landings and one for takeoffs so keep your eyes peeled.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  Glad you enjoyed Popham. It must rank as one of the all time top enthusiast friendly GA airfields. Our only rule there is "don't walk into a turning prop"

If anyone visits during a fly in and you want to get on the other side of the runway then please come and ask one of the marshals for assistance as it can get very busy sometimes. There is one particularly fat bastard ( AKA .... Me ! ) who can often be found running around in a golf buggy with a "Follow Me" board on the back. The generally accepted currency for a lift somewhere is a can of beer !!!

By the way, if you are visiting be aware that we often use both runways during fly ins, one for landings and one for takeoffs so keep your eyes peeled.
                  Brian, I was at Popham last Friday, 25 May. Were you there? I suppose not, I would have immediately recognized you, especially now that you described yourself so accurately I would have enjoyed drinking a beer with you, and maybe two, since it was a very warm day. But it certainly wasn't my last visit, because my friend lives not far from Popham (Andover). It was very busy at that day, aircraft coming in and going out almost every minute. Many landing practicing. And indeed, both runways were in use.

Comment

My last visit was on May 13th for the Piper anniversary fly in. Pictures are in the queue as we speak. Next visit is June 10th.

Comment

As a frequent visitor to Popham, surely you recognize this, Brian!

Comment

In the signal square I believe ?

Comment

This toilet bowl, which you can see from the picture has not been cleaned for ages, sits at the small gate to one of the runways.
                          I don't know if it's a comfy toilet, I dared not step on the grass surrounding it

Comment

Working...
                          X