Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few 5D3 images and some thougths about the camera.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to disable my half-press focus on the 7D for a night shooting session next week, as it might be painfully bad to do the half-press unfocus and then refocus that is characteristic of night shots. I need to go through the manual and figure out if I can have that assigned to one of the custom settings, so leave like C1 for night shots with the half-press focus disable and set it only to AF-ON (and probably set to AI Focus or one shot)
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Some interesting tips, specially for upcoming night photo trips. Thanks a lot.
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
        I need to disable my half-press focus on the 7D for a night shooting session next week, as it might be painfully bad to do the half-press unfocus and then refocus that is characteristic of night shots. I need to go through the manual and figure out if I can have that assigned to one of the custom settings, so leave like C1 for night shots with the half-press focus disable and set it only to AF-ON (and probably set to AI Focus or one shot)
        It is possible, on a 7D Custon function 4.1 is the custom controls. Then remove focus from shutter button (I have it as metering start) then AF-ON as AF and metering start. Then If you're shooting something thats always the same distance away, you focus it once, then your shutter button will only do metering allowing you to snap away.
        And you hould be able to set that as a custom control on the dial, though i've forgotten how!
        Sam Rudge
        A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Jeeeez ....and I thought my Nikon D7000 was complicated !

These days it's getting like you need a degree in computer sciences just to take a picture !!
          My Nikon D7000's are pretty good on grain control at high ISO but I must say that that 5DIII grain control is something else.

I'm getting a mental image of a users manual that weighs around 1 kilogram ????

Well, the quick reference manual is 400+ pages long (including over 40 on the AF system). Though I do like how now when you are scrolling through the menu, holding the info button basically has all the text from the manual, but no figures. But generally gives you the jist of what you are doing.
          Sam Rudge
          A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Well, I had the pleasure of my first short photo trip with my brand new EOS 5DIII. My goodness, what a camera!!!! It feells great and is great!!! Lots of possibilities make it hard at the beginning to set up comfy preferences. But all in all it's a steady move from a 100% top notch camera to a 101% top notch camera.

Oh, and Brian: the beauty of todays technologies is, that I have the manual as PDF on my Iphone

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
              ......that I have the manual as PDF on my Iphone
              I'm an old fashioned kind of old fart.....I keep the book in the camera bag !!
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

After the first photo shootings with my 5D3 I have to say, I'm more than happy to have gone for it. Together with a 100-400 it's a beast for aviation photography.

ISO 1600, no noise reducer at all:
                [photoid=7407511]

ISO 1000, just resizing, adding standard histogram adjustment and sharpening:
                [photoid=7398214]

And I have still to wade through the 40 pages on AF settings in the manual

Comment

Holy crap
                  [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Gearardo, that is incredible not to have a speck of noise at 1600! The 5D3 is outstanding! Just a couple of weeks after the 5D3 announcement, I went to my local photo store and tested it out. The quality was second to none, it performed very well and overall was very very impressive. If only I had 3,5K and man'y "L"s I would get this in a heartbeat . Too bad all my money is going towards a 400 f/5.6L soon...
                    Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

It's impressive isn't it Geri! Shot a wedding with mine a few weeks back, F1.2 and ISO 25,600 produced some stunning shots with no more noise than my 5D2 at ISO1600-3200! I seriously love this camera!
                      Chris Sharps
                      5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                      17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                      24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                      1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Working...
                      X