Canon 100-400 f/4-5.6L IS II Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 100-400 f/4-5.6L IS II Coming!

Looks promising but with a price tag of at least 2,700$ it's not something i'll be getting anytime soon...

More announcements coming I've been told to expect two more announcements before Photokina begins in September. It'll be a nice mix of DSLRs and lenses, as wel
    Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

It's not an f4.5-5.6, it's an f4-5.6, supposedly that's the reason of the higher cost (that and the fact that it's a Canon, and they've been steeply jacking up the price of the lenses every time they update them).

I've heard that they're changing the design to a more conventional rotating zoom ring instead of the push-pull mechanism. For such a big lens the push-pull can bring issues like dust, but at the same time it's quite easy to zoom in or out. I don't have one but I borrowed one for a few minutes.

Now, for $2700? I'll keep my Sigma 80-400 and save the money to get either a FF camera or a fast prime (like a 300/2..

Also, Canon has been pretty slow with getting products out. The 1DX shipped with a 3 month delay. The 24-70 f2.8 II is still nowhere to be seen and keeps getting delayed.
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

It would be nice to see it, but my 100-400 works pretty damn well so it would have to be something special to tempt me to change.

My 70-200F2.8LIS is a Version 1 and hasn't got any worse since the Version 2 came out!
      Chris Sharps
      5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
      17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
      24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
      1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

I'll believe it when they see it, there has always been rumors of a revamped Canon 100-400mm but nothing ever happens. All it really needs is a better IS system, to go from the 2 stop stabilisation up to the more recent 4 stop IS.

As for loosing the push-pull system, I would see that as a negative, as I loved the push-pull mechanism, it was so quick and easy to change the range and I never once had an issue with dust with mine.

Anyhow, I recently sold my pin-sharp Canon 100-400mm and upgraded to a Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS which I should be sticking with for the next few years. F2.8 at 300mm...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Chips View Post
          I'll believe it when they see it, there has always been rumors of a revamped Canon 100-400mm but nothing ever happens. All it really needs is a better IS system, to go from the 2 stop stabilisation up to the more recent 4 stop IS.

As for loosing the push-pull system, I would see that as a negative, as I loved the push-pull mechanism, it was so quick and easy to change the range and I never once had an issue with dust with mine.

Anyhow, I recently sold my pin-sharp Canon 100-400mm and upgraded to a Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS which I should be sticking with for the next few years. F2.8 at 300mm...
          Or F4 at 420mm with a TC, if you need the range. For the $3200 (B&H price), it sounds like a much better option than the newer Canon, if the Canon ever goes into production.
          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Or 600mm at F5.6 (should be sharp enough at F8, in good light) when using a 2x extender which will come in handy at airshows F2.8 is a tad soft but still usable however at F3.2 it's pretty much pin sharp... perfect low light lens!

Comment

That works too, but I've never used a 2x before, and I've heard they do rob the lens of some sharpness.
              [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
                It's not an f4.5-5.6, it's an f4-5.6, supposedly that's the reason of the higher cost (that and the fact that it's a Canon, and they've been steeply jacking up the price of the lenses every time they update them).
                Well, if the jump in quality is the same as the 70-200 f/2.8 IS -> IS II then its pretty justified.
                Also, If you compare the price of most of their lenses on release and adjust for inflation, they have been released at the pretty much the same price.

Completely stolen from POTN

Sam Rudge
                A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I've heard that they're changing the design to a more conventional rotating zoom ring instead of the push-pull mechanism. For such a big lens the push-pull can bring issues like dust, but at the same time it's quite easy to zoom in or out. I don't have one but I borrowed one for a few minutes.

Now, for $2700? I'll keep my Sigma 80-400 and save the money to get either a FF camera or a fast prime (like a 300/2..

Also, Canon has been pretty slow with getting products out. The 1DX shipped with a 3 month delay. The 24-70 f2.8 II is still nowhere to be seen and keeps getting delayed.
                  It'll be about 50% more expensive indeed. It will be zoom ring as many people disliked that feature. I personally liked it as it was fast but the extension would tire out the arm very quickly and the constant dust entering the lens was something that disturbed many many people from buying the lens. A lot of people are wanting a MKII of this lens.
                  I'll be buying a 400mm prime now and will also start saving for a 5D2 or a 300 f/2.8L IS, that's the plan
                  Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Here's the thing, I have an 80-400, which is about the same physical size as the 100-400 but the zoom ring rotates instead of push/pull.

I like the push/pull mechanism, but you have to get used to it, otherwise it's somewhat counter intuitive, also, the position of the zoom stiffening ring is something you need to get used to.

On the Sigma it does take quite a turn to go from 80 to 400, so if you have to drastically zoom out the push/pull works better, however, you end up with your arms very extended.

So I think that in the end you can't really win with either system, half the people will prefer one, and the other half the other.
                    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

I like the push/pull mechanism, but you have to get used to it
                      Exactly. I wonder how many people who say they don't like push/pull zoom have actually spent any real time using it, I suspect not many!
                      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X