Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 megapixels cams??

hi fellas

this is my first post on this forum.. i'm really a totally newbie in aviation photographing(since last sunday) and i have some questions.

i have a 2 megapixels diditalcam Panasonic DMC-FZ2.
    i have already 4 photos at this database you can see them here:

Summer vacation is over for these passengers.. HB-IHZ. Airbus A320-214. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

About to touch Swiss soil. Arriving from Paris CDG.. F-GRHE. Airbus A319-111. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Smoky touch-down. Arriving from Antalya.. HB-ISE. Boeing 767-3Q8(ER). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Arriving at cloudy Zurich from sunny Madrid.. HB-IPU. Airbus A319-112. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

obviousely the screeners like them but i don't really. i want them sharper and cleaner. i also tried editing with photoshop but i can't improve them soooo much. i know that they are taken not to the best weather conditions but i also took some shots today in nice and sunny weather and had not much more luck i just wanted to ask:

is it not possible to take any sharper, cleaner pics with a 2 Megapixels cam??
    or are there any photographers out there that take very nice and sharp shots with a 2megpixels cam?? could you give me some tips??

what do i need to do better??
    maybe there's a photographer that has the same cam like me??

those questions may sound stupid to you but i'm really a bit lost

would be so nice if anybody of you routined photographers could give me some tips

thanks so much IA
    greez to you all

Sandro

Just practice more. It's not the camera. Read the manual, try some different settings.

Comment

Hey Sandro...no question is stupid man! We all learn

Try to play around the settings of your camera, and feel free to edit it with photoshop...the pictures will come out nicer

good luck
      Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

I started out with a 2mp camera about a year ago (currently using a S602), and compared to my old Canon A40, those pictures are of much better quality .

Comment

Hey Sandro,

I guess your results will improve once you shoot on a sunny day (with the sun in your back). This usually helps a lot. Also, try to set the highest quality possible on your camera (usually JPEG fine) & the lowest ISO speed (ISO 50 is, as far as I know, the slowest speed you can get with your Panasonic cam).

You can try to play around with your image files in Photoshop (or any other decent post-processing software). I'm not an expert, but I think all 4 photos could need some level adjustment. "Auto Levels" & "Auto Contrast" (or "Auto-Tonwertkorrektur"/"Auto-Kontrast") won't produce perfect images, but I would first try these. Also, they look a little soft so you need to apply more sharpening.

Here's a good beginner's tutorial for post-processing:

If you want to go a bit deeper:

I think this link was posted before in this forum -- so just in case you haven't read it yet. It's one of the best threads I've ever read about post-processing. Try some of the suggestions -- I'm sure you'll find a workflow that will fit.

Thomas

Comment

thank you so much guys for all those sweet answers!!
            i'll go to LHR on saturday for a spotting trip and let's see what i can make out of it

maybe anybody could post a pic taken with a 2MP cam so i could see what i can do for it

thx a lot again!!

have a nice day
            sandro

Comment

Sandro!

We all have to start somewhere! And you are starting right where I started about 2 years ago now. Basically all I can say is play around with your camera, until you find a setting that gives you better results than any other. At LHR you wont have any problems with the amount of time you can play around and amount of subjects you have.

Then id say take a peak at my tutorial I wrote a while back on editing photos in photoshop, and then from that basic tutorial build your own methods.

Today I still use a 2MP camera, the Fuji Finepix 2600Z and its proven to be a very reliable little camera that has, over the past 2 years, produced my best photography ever. Let alone well over 500 photos on here! But the time has come to move onto bigger and better things and its taking its last outing this sunday, and then its off to a DSLR .

If you ever need any help at all just drop me an e-mail and id be more than happy to help you out, and if LHR is your local next time im down I could drop you an e-mail if you can make it for a little meet up.
              E-Mail Me - My Photo's - My Photographer Profile

Comment

thanks so much for motivating me mate

i really hope i can play abit around with my cam and hope to catch some sweeties at LHR..maybe you could give me some ideas what your settings are and what i could try out??.. and yes!! sure we can meet next time.. i'm in London quite often.. aren't you around on saturday??

btw look what i catched this morning:

what do you mean?? did i improve myself?? i was at the airport today morning and really wanted to play a bit around with my cam you really have brilliant shots in the database.. i'm quite impressed what you can do with the 2MB cam.. the fact is that i bought my cam last saturday and i already was afraid that i bought a bad cam and can't taky high-quality shots but when i see your shots ii know that it's vice versa
                i also have one more question: when you spot a movin plane.. for example an arriving plane. do you focus a place where the plane will touch-down for example or do you focus the plane and then move with it??? i take option NR2.. is that ok??

cheers mate

thx again

sandro

Comment

for example an arriving plane. do you focus a place where the plane will touch-down for example or do you focus the plane and then move with it???
                  I would say both. Focus on the touch down point to give the autofocus a starting point and then pan with it as it lands.
                  Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Getting decent shots with a 2mp cam isn't impossible. My camera is only 2mp (fuji finepix 2800z) and I'd like to think that some of my shots are pretty decent. Check them out by clicking ont he link in my signature.

Comment

2 MP cameras

Hi Sandro,

your pictures are not bad for a 2 MP camera, you can not expect too much unless you go real close to the object. Check out all my pictures here, they are all made with a 2,1MP Canon Ixus 300 by searching Alexander Portas.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Sandro

First of all: if you want to have your pics accepted, don't touch a screeners turf. ZRH is reserved already for three screeners, including me

And now the serious part of the answer:

Jeff is totally right (as many times): it's the photographer who makes the pictures. Easy to prove: give your camera to a monkey and look at the results...

But of course, using the available technology (in your case a 2 MP camera and a PC with a photo editing software) as best as possible is also part of the game, and - let's face it - the available technology sets the limits. You will not be able to take such perfects shots as if you would be using a top notch DSLR. Under certain conditions, you won't get any useful results at all. So, stick to the possibilities you have and inprove where you can.

Looking at your pics, one thing which simply jumps into my eyes is the weather. Your pics were taken with overcasted sky, typical ZRH if you ask me. If the same shots had been taken with full sun, you would have got better results, in my opinion.

Cheers
                        Gerardo
                        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

thx...

hehe Gerardo.. well i'll see ya at ZRH.. we can fight it out then
                          cool to know that there are screeners at ZRH maybe we can meet once and you can help me a bit that would be cool

thx again for your replies...
                          cheers

btw Gerardo where do you live exactly??

Comment

A fight in ZRH? Hmmmm, you can always upload, what you want, let's see, what the screeners say

Seriously: I'm living close to Winterthur, so not very far from ZRH. Where do you live?

Gerardo
                            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

aah i also live between ZRH and Winterthur.. in Bassersdorf.. it's next to Kloten and you??

Comment

Working...
                              X