Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rejected Photos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rejected Photos

    Hello all....

    I'm going to make this sound very ranty.... I've hit 75 rejected photos in both A.net and JP.net....

    First of all, a lot of my photos come back with Over Processed / Bad postprocessing, when none of my photos are processed in any way at all...


    And a lot come back with bad framings.. when it's meant to be that way..
    Like this.
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=4623968

    And contrast is also a thing... You know what, I will just leave you all my recent 8 rejects....

    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=4623937
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=4623962
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=4623968
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=4623973
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=4623977
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=4623982
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=4623988
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=4623991

    Any suggestions for PHP based gallery systems? I don't want to use any of these websites to host my photos.

  • #2
    I don't fully understand you. Do you want some hints, how to get better photos to reduce the number of rejections, or are you looking for hints tomset up a PHP gallery by your own? I can help with the first question, undortunately not with the second one.
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

    Comment


    • #3
      Do you use a Nikon camera by any chance. If you do, are you using "Nikon D Lighting" ? It might be set by default. If it is in use then stop using it as it will cause the halos that you are getting the over processing rejections for.

      You say you don't use any processing at all ? Every image needs some post processing of some kind. No image is the same as the next and lighting will change by the minute during the day.

      Take a look at this thread, especially items 6, 7 and 8. Item 8 will help with your centreing issues.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
        I don't fully understand you. Do you want some hints, how to get better photos to reduce the number of rejections, or are you looking for hints tomset up a PHP gallery by your own? I can help with the first question, undortunately not with the second one.
        Well, this thread was half rant half question... I guess... I am sorta pissed about my rejections, never had an accepted photo in a website like A.net or JP.net... Second part is just asking about recommendations for PHP gallery.. I really don't feel much into JP or AL...

        Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        Do you use a Nikon camera by any chance. If you do, are you using "Nikon D Lighting" ? It might be set by default. If it is in use then stop using it as it will cause the halos that you are getting the over processing rejections for.

        You say you don't use any processing at all ? Every image needs some post processing of some kind. No image is the same as the next and lighting will change by the minute during the day.

        Take a look at this thread, especially items 6, 7 and 8. Item 8 will help with your centreing issues.
        Yeah, D-Lighting is on as default, as my other spotter friends who have Nikons have them on and get spectacular images... me... not at all...

        And I don't post-process at all.. except just scale down the image to sizes acceptable by JP...

        I tried cropping them, but they won't fit into JP's &*%(# image dimensions...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BCPTF View Post
          Yeah, D-Lighting is on as default, as my other spotter friends who have Nikons have them on and get spectacular images... me... not at all...

          And I don't post-process at all.. except just scale down the image to sizes acceptable by JP...
          I honestly doubt many if any, of them get photos on either site if they use D-lighting as that is a VERY common reason for editing/halo rejections. Photos with a 'clean' background like a blue sky will really show them. You might be able to get away with it on photos with busier backgrounds such as buildings or trees but if you want to have a chance of getting a photo accepted I would turn it off.

          I tried cropping them, but they won't fit into JP's &*%(# image dimensions...
          What software are you using? Most image editors should have a way to crop using a ratio like 3:2 or 4:3.

          Looking at your photos you really aren't that far off. Turn off the D-lighting, figure out the cropping, and maybe make some basic adjustments then your chances should go way up. Although if you want to do off-center crops then you may want to set up your own site. They aren't "wrong" but if you want to get a photo accepted here or the other site it does need to be centered correctly for this type of DB.
          Last edited by RCoulter; 2014-08-03, 01:28.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RCoulter View Post
            I honestly doubt many if any, of them get photos on either site if they use D-lighting as that is a VERY common reason for editing/halo rejections. Photos with a 'clean' background like a blue sky will really show them. You might be able to get away with it on photos with busier backgrounds such as buildings or trees but if you want to have a chance of getting a photo accepted I would turn it off.


            What software are you using? Most image editors should have a way to crop using a ratio like 3:2 or 4:3.

            Looking at your photos you really aren't that far off. Turn off the D-lighting, figure out the cropping, and maybe make some basic adjustments then your chances should go way up. Although if you want to do off-center crops then you may want to set up your own site. They aren't "wrong" but if you want to get a photo accepted here or the other site it does need to be centered correctly for this type of DB.
            Photoshop CS6... and will try..

            Some of my photos after crop are still too small, they don't fit into JP's guidelines..

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BCPTF View Post
              Photoshop CS6... and will try..

              Some of my photos after crop are still too small, they don't fit into JP's guidelines..
              OK, here is how I crop in PS:

              1. Choose Rectangular Marquee Tool (second down)


              2. Choose 'Fixed Ratio' from menu in the middle and put in 3 and 2, or 4 and 3 (or reverse [2/3,3/4] for vertical shots)


              3. Make selection of area to crop


              4. Image > Crop:


              5. Image > Image Size


              6. Put something like 1200 in the width box and it should come out to 1200w 800h if a 3x2 ratio


              Hopefully this makes sense, it should fix the crop and size issues.

              Make sure you are shooting at the best quality and largest file size your camera can produce.

              Comment


              • #8
                An even easier way to set and maintain your crop size is to

                1. select the crop tool. ( it looks a bit like the # symbol )
                2. At the top left side of the window you will see width and height selection boxes.
                3. Type "1200 px" in the width box and "800 px" in the height box. This is the standard 3:2 crop format ratio. (Don't use the speech marks).

                Every time you crop an image from now on, provided you don't change the numbers, you will crop to an image size of 1200 x 800 pixels and maintain that aspect ratio. This means that you won't suffer from any squashed or stretched images and you will always crop to 3:2 ratio.
                -You can select the part of the image you want to use.
                -You can move the crop area using the mouse to drag it around or using the up/down/left/right keyboard arrows. (My preference as it is more exacting.) doing this you can accurately centre the image.
                -Use the advice given in the "Tips and Tricks" especially item 8 and you should never get another centreing rejection.

                You have the latest, very powerful software available from Adobe which is far more useable and modifiable than anything that Nikon can come up with. Use CS6 rather than the camera to process your images.
                Here's some simple guide advice to help you...

                -Shoot in Nikon .nef Raw format. It is an uncompressed format and can be more easily modified in CS6. .jpg or .jpeg are a compressed format and you will lose detail in your image when you take it.
                -Set in-camera settings for Contrast, Sharpening and Color to none, normal or standard whichever applies. There is a much wider range of adjustment in CS6.
                -Turn off D Lighting.
                -Set your colour space in-camera to sRGB.
                -Set your colour working space in CS6 to sRGB. (See Tips and Tricks on how to do this) sRGB displays colours best in web based applications.
                -Use the lowest ISO setting when shooting balanced with a useable shutter speed.
                My basic camera settings on my Nikon D7000 are aperture priority set to f9 (the lens "sweet spot"), ISO 100, centre weighted metering, 0 exposure compensation in bright cloud, -0.3 in sunny cloud and -0.7 in bright sun. Those last three may differ slightly for you depending on your camera model.

                Finally.....KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS HERE ! We are more than happy to help you out.
                Last edited by brianw999; 2014-08-06, 02:02.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would be happy to assist you with editing aviation shots. Send me a PM if you're interested. I have over 560 shots on the site. I am always adjusting the way I process a photo to get the most out of each image.
                  Click below to See My Photos On:


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Alright, thanks a lot you two!

                    I'll try it when I go spotting next week...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi
                      Asks for an explanation to me of what direction rotate on the picture, right or left?

                      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...7232170&nseq=0

                      Siegi.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Siegi N. View Post
                        Hi
                        Asks for an explanation to me of what direction rotate on the picture, right or left?

                        http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...7232170&nseq=0

                        Siegi.
                        Left just a bit please.
                        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X