X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mahagonny
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

This discussion is nearly four years old. Not sure it's entirely relevant anymore.
    I'm sorry. I didn't pay attention to the date

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by mahagonny View Post
    Hi to all.
    Frankly, I don't understand the thinking of user Vishal Jolapara.
    Sorry if I interfere in the discussion, but I think that those who publish (ask to be able to publish), one of his shots on JP does it mainly to share the result of his passion. Then, if someone has other purposes, such as a counter for unspecified purposes, it cannot be a problem for the crew. I also share my shots on one or two Fb groups, but certainly not to attract clicks. I am convinced that what the crew decides to share on social networks is considered and, in any case, should not irritate any of the users.
    Sorry for my bad English.
    This discussion is nearly four years old. Not sure it's entirely relevant anymore.

Leave a comment:

• mahagonny
    replied
    Hi to all.
    Frankly, I don't understand the thinking of user Vishal Jolapara.
    Sorry if I interfere in the discussion, but I think that those who publish (ask to be able to publish), one of his shots on JP does it mainly to share the result of his passion. Then, if someone has other purposes, such as a counter for unspecified purposes, it cannot be a problem for the crew. I also share my shots on one or two Fb groups, but certainly not to attract clicks. I am convinced that what the crew decides to share on social networks is considered and, in any case, should not irritate any of the users.
    Sorry for my bad English.

Leave a comment:

• TwoforTwo
    replied
    Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara View Post
    I see random, non-newsworthy (except the Tiger Meet shots & the pvt 787) being promoted by JP completely drowning out the organic viewership & meritocracy of the Top of 24.

Its more like the person promoting the shots (often routine & un-Important photos) is picking what the front page should look like, shouldn't the viewers decide?

I uploaded a hot photo of an Indian Navy Sea Harriers from their retirement ceremony on their final flight, and as soon as the shot got to #4, it was drowned out & pushed to #7 or 8 by a Robinson helicopter, an Embraer 712, a DL MD-90, AF 380 landing @ LAX, Thai DC10 & so on....... 20 hrs later i uploaded another hot photo of another new frame and same story......

I only added the type Sea Harrier FRS.51 to db a few hours before the photo, brand new type & regs for the db. Aircrafts the world will never see again. Please don't promote my shot but, this is what drove so many people away from other places, don't follow in those bad footsteps.
    You can easily post all you want on Instagram, where you can find more audiences. It's just a matter of time when people will start to follow you. Of course, it can take a lot of time, maybe a year maybe two or three depending on how lucky you are. However, it's not the only way to become popular on Instagram. There are not so many ways but the easiest one is to buy real Instagram followers. It's the most cheapest and rapid way to gain how many followers you want. Just visit the site choose the package you want and enjoy your followers, without risks.

Leave a comment:

• Vishal Jolapara
    replied
    Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
    The more I think of it, the more I am convinced, that we should simply not show the view numbers anymore. As mentioned by Stefan: it has caused us too much trouble already.
    I respect your conviction Gerardo.

Many JP uploaders (many i haven't interacted in years) connected with me after i started this thread to express their frustration.

Among the many things that folks mentioned to me was the futility of having the following on the front page:

The ticker on the left that says: Most Popular Photos

- of all time
    - of last 24 hours
    - of last 48 hours
    - of last week
    - of last 30 days

Top Shots ticker
    Top Shots of Past Week ticker
    Top Photographers ticker

The datum for ALL of these are the viewership figures and since almost all of you posses zero desire for any views on your photos since you only upload for the fun of uploading lets overhaul the slightly dated JP frontpage and replace it with something that better reflects the crews beliefs?
    Afterall, JP has (unfortunately) made any measure of popularity completely impossible to determine by having an almost 100% curated front page.
    I offer my congratulations on what must have been a lot of hard work on the part of the site crew.
    Just logged on and I must say, Good Job guys! The site looks good

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    Dear Mr. Jolapara,

I am sorry that you do not agree with how we find content for our social media outlets. (facebook ,twitter, maybe more in the future) This has been noted, however I can not promise any changes to the current system, as we see it as a success.

If you are not happy with the way this is done, I unfortunately can offer no other solution for you, than to find another outlet to showcase your work to the public. Look on the bright side of this, no long wasit for the photo to be screened, no unfair screeners, no social media promotion by others than yourself.

But we will consider the problems you laid out when redesigning the front page. This should solve the problem.
    Last edited by seahawk; 2016-06-12, 08:01.

Leave a comment:

• Vishal Jolapara
    replied
    Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    Hi Vishal,
    Unfortunately Jetphotos is being taken over by groups of picture takers (I find it hard to use the term "photographers")
    Hey Brian! Hope you're doing well my friend.
    On this, I cannot agree more, thanks for coining this term

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    Whatever happened to simply enjoying a hobby and displaying the results with no other expectations ?
    That is called Flickr.
    By choosing to participate in the uploading process, you're basically entering a contest - your entry (your photo) is judged after a long screening process (a beauty pageant for airplane photos), if they're good enough then they enter the playing field. For the ones better looking than others (or if its a fellow screener screening a buddy's image ) it exits the screening round with a badge next to it.

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
    The more I think of it, the more I am convinced, that we should simply not show the view numbers anymore.
    I respect your conviction Gerardo.

Many JP uploaders (many i haven't interacted in years) connected with me after i started this thread to express their frustration.

Among the many things that folks mentioned to me was the futility of having the following on the front page:

The ticker on the left that says: Most Popular Photos

- of all time
    - of last 24 hours
    - of last 48 hours
    - of last week
    - of last 30 days

Top Shots ticker
    Top Shots of Past Week ticker
    Top Photographers ticker

The datum for ALL of these are the viewership figures and since almost all of you posses zero desire for any views on your photos since you only upload for the fun of uploading lets overhaul the slightly dated JP frontpage and replace it with something that better reflects the crews beliefs?
    Afterall, JP has (unfortunately) made any measure of popularity completely impossible to determine by having an almost 100% curated front page.

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    So if i understand your logic Stefan, some people loot & steal - so should we, coz hey so many others out there are doing it¿

Being on the front page is a matter of pride, its is such a prestigious event by JP's own admission that the site owner sends the lucky ones an email titled, "JetPhotos.Net 'Top Shots' Photographer Notice"

Some people's efforts to share their photo in whatever place can in no way match the leverage of the 365k (and growing) eyeballs that a JP promotion does.

Indirectly, you're doing almost exactly what you're attempting to condone, that others minor promotion here or there which dosen't really make any major dent on the front page is frowned upon & label it, "hunt for views"
    Now, let us go & do the same thing on a much larger scale and label it, "interesting for the wider public"

The point of the facebook page is to promote jetphotos.net and aviation photography in general to the wider public. Considering how big it has become, I would say that is does this with quite some success. When we started posting pictures on it regularly we had a few thousand fans, now we have 365k. Obviously people seem to like the selection we are showing and I see no reason to change the way the facebook page is working. It is no different to the Screener´s Choice which is also selected by the crew and gives the pic a higher exposure. Most photographers seem to understand the selection of their photographs as a reward for sending an interesting photo. Sadly you wanted your Sea Harrier withdrawn, it was interesting and would have made a nice photo. But as you asked us to not promote your shot, we respect your choice.

Anybody who does not want his or her pictures posted just needs to contact us and they won´t be posted.
    Last edited by seahawk; 2016-05-23, 08:01.

Leave a comment:

• LX-A343
    replied
    The fb site, well any fb site FWIW, is here to promote something and to share interesting informations with the fb community. Looking at the stats, our fb site is doing a wonderful job. But now, because some don't get the views they expect, we should do the job less good? I don't get it ....

The more I think of it, the more I am convinced, that we should simply not show the view numbers anymore. As mentioned by Stefan: it has caused us too much trouble already.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Hi Vishal,
    Unfortunately Jetphotos is being taken over by groups of picture takers (I find it hard to use the term "photographers") whose only interest seems to be to get more "hits" than anyone else. The lengths these people go to to achieve these dubious targets astonishes me. Geographically, the main proponents of these efforts are South Americans - especially Brazil, Eastern European, Chinese and sadly, Indian.
    Quite what these folks get out of this is beyond me. Whatever happened to simply enjoying a hobby and displaying the results with no other expectations ?

Leave a comment:

• Vishal Jolapara
    replied
    So if i understand your logic Stefan, some people loot & steal - so should we, coz hey so many others out there are doing it¿

Being on the front page is a matter of pride, its is such a prestigious event by JP's own admission that the site owner sends the lucky ones an email titled, "JetPhotos.Net 'Top Shots' Photographer Notice"

Some people's efforts to share their photo in whatever place can in no way match the leverage of the 365k (and growing) eyeballs that a JP promotion does.

Indirectly, you're doing almost exactly what you're attempting to condone, that others minor promotion here or there which dosen't really make any major dent on the front page is frowned upon & label it, "hunt for views"
    Now, let us go & do the same thing on a much larger scale and label it, "interesting for the wider public"

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    Thank you for your suggestion, but the idea would only improve the system for those who care about views, and this "hunt for views" is something that already has caused us enough trouble in the past with people sharing their shots on various social media portals just for that. Most photos reaching the top 4 slots have been shared a lot by the photographers (yes we can see the links), so those photographers should live with the fact that jp also shares photos we think could be interesting for the wider public.

Leave a comment:

• Vishal Jolapara
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
    but please feel free to share any constructive suggestions on how to improve it

Regards
    Alex
    Hi Alex,

Nice to hear from you bro & appreciate your polite reply which is a lot more becoming of a crew member

I'm sure you are pleasing your followers on fb, only way to improve it would be to let photos cycle to the front page on their own merit, and only promote a newsworthy/important photo from the tiny, minuscule pool of freshly added photos that haven't completed 24/48 hours in the system.

I can't think of any negative impact of such an action.

Cheers - VJ

Leave a comment:

• Alex - Spot-This !
    replied
    Vishal,
    We share a mix of newsworthy pics, rare planes and just nice pics - The purpose of the FB is to promote a bit of everything - Honestly the hits are not what we care the most, we care that viewers of the FB page get a nice bunch of pics to look at - it's not only for the aviation geek that absolutely needs to see only a type of shot promoted - Seriously, if people run away from JP only because of hits, I'm sorry but so be it - JP should be way more than hits and promotion on pics over the others

I honestly think a very nice work is done on the FB page, but please feel free to share any constructive suggestions on how to improve it

Regards
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex - Spot-This !; 2016-05-22, 15:42.

Leave a comment:

• Vishal Jolapara
    replied
    Ofcourse Stefan, Robinson helicopters, Embraer props & MD90s i'm sure are absolutely fascinating to your fans, can't imagine how anxiously they would be waiting with baited breath to see those.

I'm very glad you feel so much about your adoring fans on facebook, may i also request you to think a little about the far larger bunch of people who come directly to the site & visit the Top of 24 to see the latest & greatest from around the world?

i don't mind you sharing my photos of the Sea Harrier on social media, i mentioned against sharing that particular image as i didn't start the thread to ask for it to be promoted but bring attention to the larger issue which you have conveniently brushed to the side by your mildly hostile reply.

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
    Thank you for your understanding.
    Sorry mate but, i don't agree.

Ofcourse people connect through social media is important, least you can do is see what's really that Important and share that. Almost all that i see shared could easily be picked up from our incredibly vast pool of fine photos, shots which have passed the 24/48 hr time period so that they don't destroy the organic meritocracy of the Top of 24!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X