Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner Question - Which lens should I buy (Sigma vs Tamron )?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Question - Which lens should I buy (Sigma vs Tamron )?

Hello there.

My name is Kim and when it comes down to photography, I'm a hobbyist. When I was a kid I always had a general interest in airplanes and aviation. So I recently started taking pictures of airplanes and so forth. But I figured out, that my current equipment is not sufficient.

Right now I own a Nikon D7200 and a standard 18 to 140 mm lens. I think the camera is still fine, but I would like to buy a telephoto zoom lens. I found a Sigma and Tamron 70-300 mm lens suitable for my camera. So my first question is, is that OK or should I grab a 500 mm?
    Secondly, which one should I buy? I guess the Tamron is a bit more expensive the the Sigma.

And, last but not least, both lenses a pretty pricey. So I searched some websites for classified adds like http://www.cheap.forsale/camera-lenses and found some cheap ones for sale online.
    Is it advisable to by a used lens or should I get a new one? Are there some common pitfalls to avoid?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards. Kim.

D7200 is a very good camera. I would advise you to get the Nikon 70-300VR. The best value for money.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
      I would advise you to get the Nikon 70-300VR. The best value for money.
      http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300-vr.htm
      I disagree! Why?

1) I have the Tamron myself and it's amazing! Just check my gallery - most of the pictures are taken with it.

2) Although I do not own the Nikon (just tested it) they are quite similar in their performance. BUT:

Nikon 70-300VR 533 Euro on Amazon

Tamron 70-300VR 305 Euro on Amazon

For the difference you get another Nikon 35 1.8 or 1/2 a wideangle

Comment

Originally posted by PeterB View Post
        I disagree! Why?

1) I have the Tamron myself and it's amazing! Just check my gallery - most of the pictures are taken with it.

2) Although I do not own the Nikon (just tested it) they are quite similar in their performance. BUT:

Nikon 70-300VR 533 Euro on Amazon

Tamron 70-300VR 305 Euro on Amazon

For the difference you get another Nikon 35 1.8 or 1/2 a wideangle
        I totally agree. The price is nearly twice as much as the Tamron. I can easily get another lens for that.

How about the Sigma lens? Anybody got an opinion in that? Especially in comparison to the Tamron?

Comment

If you buy cheap you buy twice.

The Nikon tested clearly superior to the Tamron at DXO mark, the Sigma was closer but in my experience Sigma has quality control problems. One lens can be great and the next sample from the same model average or outright bad. I have sold most of my Sigma and Tamron lenses and replaced them with Nikons. Some of my Nikons are 25 years old and work just fine today.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
            If you buy cheap you buy twice.
            In principle you are right. That's also the reason why I bought the Nikon 200-500 and not the equivalents of Tamron or Sigma.

Back to the story:
            In case of the Tamron 70-300 VC, there is really no need to get a Nikon 70-300. It would be another story when we talk about the Tamron 70-300 vs. Nikon 70-200 or the Nikon 300 prime lens. I would also try to avoid the Sigma tele lens (although I have to say I am happy with my 10-20).

Btw: There is also a Nikon 55-300 (tested my fathers one for quite some time). It's cheap, light, small and performs surprisingly good. Its 270 Euros on Amazon.

Comment

I have the 55-300 for holiday use, but the 70-300VR runs circles around it when it comes to image quality.The AF-S 70-300 on DX has little on a AF-S 80-400VR on FX it normal conditions. We have been shooting those 2 side by side for years and our sample of the 70-300VR is outstanding. But the tests of the Tamron read good as well. It seems to be a bit of give and take between the 2. My only concern would be compatibility with new cameras after some time.
              Last edited by seahawk; 2017-01-26, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                My only concern would be compatibility with new cameras after some time.
                Compatibility is fine on my D7000. If Nikon changes the F-Bajonett all lenses are anyway affected.
                However, I have to admit: My Tamron 70-300 tends to overexpose images by 0.7 to 1.0. But in the RAW format it is not a major issue.

PS: If money doesn't matter get the Nikon. If you have a reduced budget get the Tamron.

Comment

D7000 is not that old. For comparison I use a AF-D 80-200 2.8 that I got with a Nikon F90X and it still works fine on a D7200 and D800. All Sigma or Tamron lenses from the 1990ies did not work with todays DSLR though and have been sold.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterB View Post
                    Compatibility is fine on my D7000. If Nikon changes the F-Bajonett all lenses are anyway affected.
                    However, I have to admit: My Tamron 70-300 tends to overexpose images by 0.7 to 1.0. But in the RAW format it is not a major issue.

PS: If money doesn't matter get the Nikon. If you have a reduced budget get the Tamron.
                    Yeah. This is what I'll do. I'm on a budget so the Tamron should be fine.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X