No announcement yet.

JP Site Redesign: Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VJ is back again - if he was ever away from the forum. Hi VJ.

My very first impression (only a few minutes old) concerning the shiny new front page: wow, somebody has made an effort! It took me five or fifteen seconds to find the "new" access to the forum via the front page, which is my normal way to the forum, but I finally found it.

There's one clear advantage of the new design. If someone's ever doubted what this platform is good for, he or she does no longer have to be uncertain:
    Jetphotos!

So, my congrats for that shiny new thing!

PS: Was the previous version a little bit more bandwidth friendly? I only ask because the jet who welcomed me on the front page, a really brilliantly photographed AA-MD82, was
    "decorated" with an hour glass for several seconds...

VJ, almost a decade, loyal to Jetphotos. That wasn't bad faith or a plan, it just happens. Or what would you say?
    I'd say good things simply happen.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-02-04, 03:02. Reason: VJ
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post
      Good point. I really don't like scrolling either. I will go to any given page with one mouseclick, not after scrolling for minutes.
      I like the new design but also I don't like the scrolling..takes to long time when I want to see my pictures from the beginning!

Comment

Originally posted by CO777/200 View Post
        Dear Admins please DON'T remove the endless scrolling on the homepage for the newest photos. It's a great feature especially if you use a mobile device. And I bet there are more visitors using a smartphone or tablet than a desktop PC.

I don't really understand why some people want the page navigation back. It's absolutely outdated and I can't see an advantage compared to endless scrolling which makes sense especially for the new regs. I watch way more pics than before where I had to click through plenty of pages.
        Therefore my suggestion with a mobile site and a PC-Version. Than you can choose what you prefer.

Comment

Im trying to upload a few rampshots, but the site wont allow me to upload with "Operator" being blank. Any idea how to work around that?
          Before we were able to select "Airport" under Operator/Airline, and then again "Terminal", "Ramp", "Spotting Location" and so on.
          Only possibility now is to choose "Other", and then untitled, or unknown??
          Last edited by Roxman; 2017-02-04, 13:25.

Comment

I'm also in the camp of those who don't like endless scrolling. Please bring back the pages!

And while on the subject, what's that?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1015361

It's my photographer page. There too I have endless scrolling for some reason.

Another issue I'm having is with my albums. All of their contents changed for some reason.
            None of the images I added prior the change in design are there. I have some random stuff inside I did not even click on.

The previews are correct when you click on the "Albums" button on your page, but inside, none of the images I added are there.

Comment

Originally posted by laurencefr24 View Post
              Thanks for the positive feedback.

We currently only show airports with IATA codes on the map (Currently just under 8000 airports). Any airport that has only and ICAO code will not be shown. This is on our list of things to look into in the future but it could be very difficult to get coordinates for every small airport. Also photos marked as "in flight" will not appear on the map.
              I think that at least for Russia you can use AOPA (maps.aopa.ru) to add coordinates to even tiniest possible airfield.

Comment

all my photos waiting for screening have disappeared ... can you check please?

Comment

Originally posted by medo View Post
                  all my photos waiting for screening have disappeared ... can you check please?
                  Was is your display name or your photographer id ?

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    I have to say Vishal, firstly thanks for your input.
                    Regarding your suggestion 2.... I am against the concept of non screening addition of images.
                    Originally posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
                    Thank you for your suggestions Vishal,

It's very refreshing to have dedicated contributors want to improve their first port of call where uploading. I don't mind the idea of having some sort of link to Flight logs to coincide a little more with FR24 for example this link VH-VOZ Flight Log.

Definitely agree with Brian on the screening though, sorry. That might get a bit carried away with

Since it is only day one, there will be many improvements and fixes to come I'm sure.
                    Hello Brian & Tim,

AirplanePictures has the screening waived for members meeting certain criteria and I think its working out just fine for them.
                    Even though I barely upload anywhere, I do find myself visiting AP a lot because of the fresh stock - case in point: The LH A350 event. They're the only ones who have its picture. #JustSaying

You guys and the few others I know of are open-minded folks, why not float the idea and just try framing some rules around it internally. See where that private discussion in your crew forum goes. It may just grow on you.

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
                    I always like to keep up-to-date with whats going on around the world and whilst I realize a lot of hot photos will make the front page, not all do.
                    That's because of JP's wild spamming of freshly accepted random, non-newsworthy photos on their social media. Its termed as "could be interesting for the wider public"
                    The above causes the following effect:

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
                    I now find I go to a rival site for the news but would prefer if it were here.

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
                    scrolling is the future! Works really nicely on my iPhone.
                    I agree.
                    Earlier, I would never bother going beyond the first/second page or the moment I saw a sky/landing shot.
                    However, with the ease of scrolling I just scroll past the landing shots and actually see a lot more thumbnails than ever before.

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                    VJ is back again - if he was ever away from the forum. Hi VJ.

My very first impression (only a few minutes old) concerning the shiny new front page: wow, somebody has made an effort! It took me five or fifteen seconds to find the "new" access to the forum via the front page, which is my normal way to the forum, but I finally found it.

VJ, almost a decade, loyal to Jetphotos. That wasn't bad faith or a plan, it just happens. Or what would you say?
                    I'd say good things simply happen.
                    Hello buddy, Yes its been that long! I miss the old JP forums gang.
                    I always lurked around once in a while. This is a time to speak-up and so I did
                    Last edited by Vishal Jolapara; 2017-02-04, 20:41.

Comment

Hello...in your "aircraft" search field it says:
                      "Selecting 'Boeing 747,' for example, will show results featuring all Boeing 747 jetliners in our database, while selecting '- Boeing 747-200' will show all Boeing 747-200 variants in our database (Boeing 747-200, Boeing 747-212B, Boeing 747-283F, etc.)"
                      However in none model we have the subtype option to select, as written above, eg: only 747, only 737...no 737-300, no 727-200, no 747-300, etc.
                      So, how can we choose the subtypes when you write "while selecting subtypes"???
                      If i write for example 747-200 on the keywords i only have a dozen of pics, cause as we know the the -200 includes as written above hundreds os series (212, 282, 285,etc)
                      Tanx in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara View Post
                        AirplanePictures has the screening waived for members meeting certain criteria and I think its working out just fine for them.

I disagree. It really doesn't work and makes a total mockery of their site ethos. The full members are allowed free reign to upload anything (and quite a lot of standard non creative images) and some have been heavily criticised for uploading sub standard photos which have later been pulled from the site (I watched an entire discussion on FB where one full member got ripped to shreds for a pic he uploaded). In the meantime standard members, whose work is screened are facing even stricter hurdles as the website admitted some time back that their screening had got tougher which makes the goal for getting the full membership even harder.

It's something I don't want to see here.

Comment

Hello James,

Thank You for your input. I get where you're coming from which is why i'm suggesting the following:

Suggestion 2:

If this person abuses the system or uploads really sub-standard content (unlikely) then the insta-addition privilege can be withdrawn & he can be asked to go back and stand in line.......

This ensures a fresh Top of 24 (if its allowed to stay organic by JP not spamming non-newsworthy photos across their social media) and a leaner queue/lesser workload for the screeners (some of whom can skim over the insta-added photos to ensure adherence with standards and if needed ping the uploader about a category he may have missed or an editing flaw etc.....
                          and i'm not saying let all the immigrants in/have open borders. I'm just proposing the following as against the current extreme vetting

why not float the idea and just try framing some rules around it internally. See where that private discussion in your crew forum goes. It may just grow on you.
                          Just try the above once. Just try devising a system on these lines internally in your crew forum.
                          See the kind of rules you would want around such a system and for it to succeed - if at the end of that process all of you disagree then you can just have Stefan come here and tell me off in his trademark rude fashion

Comment

Hello James,

Thank You for your input. I get where you're coming from which is why i'm suggesting the following:

and i'm not saying let all the immigrants in/have open borders. I'm just proposing the following as against the current extreme vetting

Just try the above once. Just try devising a system on these lines internally in your crew forum.
                            See the kind of rules you would want around such a system and for it to succeed - if at the end of that process all of you disagree then you can just have Stefan come here and tell me off in his trademark rude fashion
                            Hi Vishal,
                            I am the duty "Screener with a rude attitude disciplinarian" today.

The idea of No screening, instant upload will never be seen here at Jetphotos.com. It is not in our psyche to work that way. Everyone from newbie up to most senior member gets screened and that's the way it should be. It's the reason why I fell out with A-P when I found I was being rejected for minimal, petty little reasons which were often a figment of their screeners imagination versus full members uploading total shit without screening.

A couple of points to note from your reply which are somewhat rude. You talk about Jetphotos spamming their social media page. That's just the point though, it's OUR social media outlet. We post what WE feel the majority would like to see. We get many positive comments about our Facebook account and a few negative comments from some who feel they are being hard done by by not getting any Facebook exposure. They are normally the ones who build up an impressive portfolio of rejections in their uploads.

Your immigrants comment is unacceptable and not particularly funny in the current political climate. We'll leave that one here.

You talk about EXTREME VETTING ? If you see a screening system that goes as far as potentially three screeners and an appeal screener and then a potential for a senior to further override a rejection as being Extreme then you need to start your own website. JetPhotos.com has a solid base for how we do things. We regularly discuss potential changes, some of which are being implemented in the new site. Non screening was discussed some time ago and received a 100% no vote.

So, to summarise. No screening for a chosen few is never going to happen. We have enough Prima Donnas prancing around the site as it is and introducing non screening will only serve to create another ill perceived Elite.
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I'm glad to know that the there will never be a "non-screening" option; really, as frustrating as it can sometimes be, it is far more important that there is consistency across the board; otherwise, the very integrity and reputation of the site could be undermined.

One thing I did spot: when you select your photos under the "Advanced Search" option, you only get a page or so - not the full complement, that you can scroll through.

Comment

Originally posted by akerosid View Post
                                One thing I did spot: when you select your photos under the "Advanced Search" option, you only get a page or so - not the full complement, that you can scroll through.
                                I believe this is a deliberate measure at the moment to protect server demand.

Comment

Working...
                                X