• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Kesternich
    replied
    Hello everybody,
    I have another suggestion to improve the re-designed site:

On the front page, when you mouse over the preview pictures, a pop-up appears quoting the notes given with the picture. However, I think it would be much more helpful if the pop-up showed the location of the picture. In the current design you have to click on the picture to find out where it was taken, which is somewhat inconvenient, especially since the picture then opens in the same frame rather than a new tab (see my comments above, posted on 12 Feb 2017).

I hope this comment will help you with fine tuning the new site design. In general, I can say that I still love it

Cheers,
    Peter

Leave a comment:

• SIA_744
    replied
    Can we have the "Photo date" and "Uploaded" date displayed as (for example):

"February 11, 2017" instead of "2017-02-11"?

Leave a comment:

• laurencefr24
    replied
    Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
    Hello...in your "aircraft" search field it says:

If i write for example 747-200 on the keywords i only have a dozen of pics, cause as we know the the -200 includes as written above hundreds os series (212, 282, 285,etc)
    Tanx in advance.
    If you want your search to include everything in the series then search for 747-2 and that should cover everything in the 200 series.

Leave a comment:

• MarkLawrence
    replied
    Just thought of something - because it happened to me yesterday - and - if it has already been mentioned - my apologies for the duplicate request - but - on the correct info page for a picture in the queue, can you add the tags like special scheme, cargo, etc. I was doing a large upload and forgot that I had put the special scheme on one - and not turned if off - I had to delete the picture from the queue and re-add it. Be so much easier if it was on the correct info page.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Petertenthije
    replied
    On the previous version of the site it was possible to submit photo corrections to other people's photos (location, registration etc). Could this option be returned please? A few days ago I noticed a few photos with the wrong location, this was changed after I contacted the photographer, but not everyone keeps an eye on their e-Mail.

Also, is it possible to show photos in their original size when pressing the thumbnail? Right now you have to open the thumbnail, and then again click the photo for the full size. I can imagine this would be preferable for a tablet, but on my PC this makes no sense.

Leave a comment:

• Alex - Spot-This !
    replied
    Peter,
    Thanks a lot for the very complete review. It'll be very useful an there are definitely points that we'll take into consideration. The one about the rejection is being tested right now and we got the same conclusion as you did so some adjustment is definitely needed there.

Thanks again

Alex

Leave a comment:

• Peter Kesternich
    replied
    Hey everybody,
    I am finally getting around to sending in some feedback about the new site design. First of all, let me say: I love it. Looks much more modern and especially the front page puts the pictures really "in front".
    Here are something I noted, though, that I feel are missing, or functions from the old version that I miss, or some glitches you might not yet be aware of, or some things I liked in particular and for which I want to pay a compliment:

1. General
    a) Suggestion: clicking on a picture on the front page should automatically open that picture in a new tab, not in the same frame. This way you don't have to hit the back button to go back to the front page or use the "right mouse click -> open in new tab" function... just a bit more convenient.
    b) Bring back the different display modes for searches: Full info, Just Photos, Tiny Photos... when searching for a particular picture, where you don't need to see all the info, that is going to be very helpful.
    c) In the search results: when there are more than 10 pages of results, double arrows show besides the listing of page numbers (<< or >>). These will take you either to the very first or the very last page. In the old version there were also single arrows (< or >) that let you skip to the next listing, like from the lististing of pages 1 to 10 to the listing of pages 11 to 20. [I hope I explained that right. If not, please send me a private message or email ]

2. Uploading
    a) Taking the photo date from the imbedded data in the picture file is AWESOME... A+++
    b) On the upload page, the preview pic only shows the first picture of a batch. It doesn't change, when I select the next pictures from my hard drive.
    c) The "Now select a watermark..." function is way too prominent at the top of the upload page for my taste.
    d) If you write something in the "Info to screeners" field, or select a category, the field and especailly the category do not reset after the upload. You have to manually de-select the category or erase what you wrote in the "info to screeners" field. The latter is just a nuisance for the photographers and probably more bothersome to the screeners. However, if you have to de-select the categories when uploading a batch of mixed pictures of airliners and biz-jets for example, you always have to remember to unclick the categories correctly. It would be much simpler and easier if the categories reset themselves after each upload.
    e) Once a picture is uploaded, you may realize there was a mistake made. In the old version you could also edit the "categories" by de-selecting them in the "manage queued pictures" -> "correct info" function. This is no longer possible, but would greatly help both photographers to correct their own mistakes or incorrect mouse clicks, and it would reduce the screeners' need for the "Wrong category" rejection.

3. Rejections
    a) I received a rejection today, but the reason for the rejectin - while correctly stated in the email - was not given on the rejected phot view and on the appeals page.

Well, so much for my input. I realize that I seem to be focussing on the negative aspects here, but I consider these things rather minor. I really like the re-design and I am sure you will have ironed out the kinks and teething troubles in no time. Keep up the good work

Cheers, Peter

Leave a comment:

• Vishal Jolapara
    replied
    Hi Brian,

I did add a winking smiley about the political comment, made in jest - no malice intended.

I also have absolutely no bones to pick about the screening standards here either. My suggestion was/is just that, a suggestion to speed-up the process. Do excuse my strong difference of opinion on your social media usage, let's agree to disagree.

Fair enough, I put my point across - you spoke your mind.

Lets look ahead, peace

Leave a comment:

• B7772ADL
    replied
    Originally posted by akerosid View Post
    One thing I did spot: when you select your photos under the "Advanced Search" option, you only get a page or so - not the full complement, that you can scroll through.
    I believe this is a deliberate measure at the moment to protect server demand.

Leave a comment:

• akerosid
    replied
    I'm glad to know that the there will never be a "non-screening" option; really, as frustrating as it can sometimes be, it is far more important that there is consistency across the board; otherwise, the very integrity and reputation of the site could be undermined.

One thing I did spot: when you select your photos under the "Advanced Search" option, you only get a page or so - not the full complement, that you can scroll through.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara View Post
    Hello James,

Thank You for your input. I get where you're coming from which is why i'm suggesting the following:

and i'm not saying let all the immigrants in/have open borders. I'm just proposing the following as against the current extreme vetting

Just try the above once. Just try devising a system on these lines internally in your crew forum.
    See the kind of rules you would want around such a system and for it to succeed - if at the end of that process all of you disagree then you can just have Stefan come here and tell me off in his trademark rude fashion
    Hi Vishal,
    I am the duty "Screener with a rude attitude disciplinarian" today.

The idea of No screening, instant upload will never be seen here at Jetphotos.com. It is not in our psyche to work that way. Everyone from newbie up to most senior member gets screened and that's the way it should be. It's the reason why I fell out with A-P when I found I was being rejected for minimal, petty little reasons which were often a figment of their screeners imagination versus full members uploading total shit without screening.

A couple of points to note from your reply which are somewhat rude. You talk about Jetphotos spamming their social media page. That's just the point though, it's OUR social media outlet. We post what WE feel the majority would like to see. We get many positive comments about our Facebook account and a few negative comments from some who feel they are being hard done by by not getting any Facebook exposure. They are normally the ones who build up an impressive portfolio of rejections in their uploads.

Your immigrants comment is unacceptable and not particularly funny in the current political climate. We'll leave that one here.

You talk about EXTREME VETTING ? If you see a screening system that goes as far as potentially three screeners and an appeal screener and then a potential for a senior to further override a rejection as being Extreme then you need to start your own website. JetPhotos.com has a solid base for how we do things. We regularly discuss potential changes, some of which are being implemented in the new site. Non screening was discussed some time ago and received a 100% no vote.

So, to summarise. No screening for a chosen few is never going to happen. We have enough Prima Donnas prancing around the site as it is and introducing non screening will only serve to create another ill perceived Elite.

Leave a comment:

• Vishal Jolapara
    replied
    Hello James,

Thank You for your input. I get where you're coming from which is why i'm suggesting the following:

Suggestion 2:

If this person abuses the system or uploads really sub-standard content (unlikely) then the insta-addition privilege can be withdrawn & he can be asked to go back and stand in line.......

This ensures a fresh Top of 24 (if its allowed to stay organic by JP not spamming non-newsworthy photos across their social media) and a leaner queue/lesser workload for the screeners (some of whom can skim over the insta-added photos to ensure adherence with standards and if needed ping the uploader about a category he may have missed or an editing flaw etc.....
    and i'm not saying let all the immigrants in/have open borders. I'm just proposing the following as against the current extreme vetting

why not float the idea and just try framing some rules around it internally. See where that private discussion in your crew forum goes. It may just grow on you.
    Just try the above once. Just try devising a system on these lines internally in your crew forum.
    See the kind of rules you would want around such a system and for it to succeed - if at the end of that process all of you disagree then you can just have Stefan come here and tell me off in his trademark rude fashion

Leave a comment:

• B7772ADL
    replied
    AirplanePictures has the screening waived for members meeting certain criteria and I think its working out just fine for them.

I disagree. It really doesn't work and makes a total mockery of their site ethos. The full members are allowed free reign to upload anything (and quite a lot of standard non creative images) and some have been heavily criticised for uploading sub standard photos which have later been pulled from the site (I watched an entire discussion on FB where one full member got ripped to shreds for a pic he uploaded). In the meantime standard members, whose work is screened are facing even stricter hurdles as the website admitted some time back that their screening had got tougher which makes the goal for getting the full membership even harder.

It's something I don't want to see here.

Leave a comment:

• Nikolai
    replied
    Hello...in your "aircraft" search field it says:
    "Selecting 'Boeing 747,' for example, will show results featuring all Boeing 747 jetliners in our database, while selecting '- Boeing 747-200' will show all Boeing 747-200 variants in our database (Boeing 747-200, Boeing 747-212B, Boeing 747-283F, etc.)"
    However in none model we have the subtype option to select, as written above, eg: only 747, only 737...no 737-300, no 727-200, no 747-300, etc.
    So, how can we choose the subtypes when you write "while selecting subtypes"???
    If i write for example 747-200 on the keywords i only have a dozen of pics, cause as we know the the -200 includes as written above hundreds os series (212, 282, 285,etc)
    Tanx in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Vishal Jolapara
    replied
    Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    I have to say Vishal, firstly thanks for your input.
    Regarding your suggestion 2.... I am against the concept of non screening addition of images.
    Originally posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions Vishal,

It's very refreshing to have dedicated contributors want to improve their first port of call where uploading. I don't mind the idea of having some sort of link to Flight logs to coincide a little more with FR24 for example this link VH-VOZ Flight Log.

Definitely agree with Brian on the screening though, sorry. That might get a bit carried away with

Since it is only day one, there will be many improvements and fixes to come I'm sure.
    Hello Brian & Tim,

AirplanePictures has the screening waived for members meeting certain criteria and I think its working out just fine for them.
    Even though I barely upload anywhere, I do find myself visiting AP a lot because of the fresh stock - case in point: The LH A350 event. They're the only ones who have its picture. #JustSaying

You guys and the few others I know of are open-minded folks, why not float the idea and just try framing some rules around it internally. See where that private discussion in your crew forum goes. It may just grow on you.

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
    I always like to keep up-to-date with whats going on around the world and whilst I realize a lot of hot photos will make the front page, not all do.
    That's because of JP's wild spamming of freshly accepted random, non-newsworthy photos on their social media. Its termed as "could be interesting for the wider public"
    The above causes the following effect:

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
    I now find I go to a rival site for the news but would prefer if it were here.

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
    scrolling is the future! Works really nicely on my iPhone.
    I agree.
    Earlier, I would never bother going beyond the first/second page or the moment I saw a sky/landing shot.
    However, with the ease of scrolling I just scroll past the landing shots and actually see a lot more thumbnails than ever before.

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
    VJ is back again - if he was ever away from the forum. Hi VJ.

My very first impression (only a few minutes old) concerning the shiny new front page: wow, somebody has made an effort! It took me five or fifteen seconds to find the "new" access to the forum via the front page, which is my normal way to the forum, but I finally found it.

VJ, almost a decade, loyal to Jetphotos. That wasn't bad faith or a plan, it just happens. Or what would you say?
    I'd say good things simply happen.
    Hello buddy, Yes its been that long! I miss the old JP forums gang.
    I always lurked around once in a while. This is a time to speak-up and so I did
    Last edited by Vishal Jolapara; 2017-02-04, 20:41.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X