Question on buying a digital camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on buying a digital camera

Yes I am relatively new to the hobby, and am looking to get a new digital camera. I am at DFW and have access to a few cool spots on top of Founders to shoot. I took some shots on my old 70mm with 800 speed, but they seemed a bit grainy and only planepictures.net accepted even one. The rest were not very good I guess. (I have linked to a few at www.greggayden.com) my site.

Anyway, I was looking at maybe a Fuji Finepix s5000. I noticed one guy on here in Dublin has a few shots with that camera. The zoom is apparently pretty good, although is 3.1 MP decent enough? I like the Canon rebels 6.3MP, but a bit more than I care to spend frankly. What about the HP 945 photosmart? That is 5.1MP but only to 400ISO. Any other suggestions from you experts? I'd like a decent camera so I don't have to buy again in a few years time.

Also, what is a good speed to photograph the planes? I always thought I needed a higher ISO to capture the image, as when I took some at 400 they were all blurry. But one post said to shoot at 50!! So this amateur is confused.

Thanks for all your help!

Greg Gayden
    DFW Tower.com

Well remember the higher the speed the grainer the pictures. I generally shoot at 100 speeds only; I don't even like 200 speeds. As for cameras check out Cnet.com for the latest reviews. Cnet does a great job testing out digital equipment. I have an Olympus C4000 and I love, the zoom isn't all that great but the pictures come out great. Olympus just came out with the C750, which has a 10x zoom, and 4 mega pixels.

Comment

It's all about the lighting.

What you need to be concerned about is shutter speed, with less emphasis on film speed. Any shutter faster than 1/60 sec. should be efficient for broad daylight. I got this shot with 400 speed filmm, a Nikon N80 and a 70-300mm zoom lens.

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=767220

A negative with compact digital cams is that unless you are really close to the plane, the cameas zoom capability is often less than par. If you want to get into digital photography and if money allows I'd go with a digital SLR.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Shutterspeed isn't everything. In fact, with experience and luck it's nothing.

http://www.usefilm.com/image/109017.html as it says 1/4 second handheld with an F80 (was rejected here for being blurry which it isn't (at least not disturbingly so)).
        [photoid=98342] 1/30 second handheld, tack sharp. Same camera.

Note that both shots cost a roll of film to produce

Film is cheap (especially black and white if you do your own processing), so burn it.

I am considering going digital, but whenever I see a good colour slide or black and white negative I produced the divide between the digital and the real gets bigger.

Comment

all i can say is if your serious about, don't cheat yourself and get a halfass carmera. Go out and get a really nice one. If your willing to go.. go all the way

DeltaASA16

Comment

meaning D100 or D1x...

Comment

....Or Canon EOS 300D, EOS 10D, Fuji S2 Pro, or maybe even an older camera like the EOS D30 or D60. All excellent cameras!

Rez

Comment

Get a digital SLR camera, it will do the job for you
                Regards
                Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Comment

Originally posted by CPH Aviation
                  Get a digital SLR camera, it will do the job for you
                  no it won't. It will make the job possible, but you still need to do it yourself.

A 2000 camera might be enabling technology, but it's not going to magically give you good photographs.

Comment

Well jwenting I did not mean that you could send your SLR camera to the airport and it would come back with some nice shots. Offcause you have to do it yourself. What I meant was that a digital SLR camera (like the D100) gives you a lot more possibilitys when you photograph airplanes, than a cheap digicamera will
                    Regards
                    Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Comment

Every time I send my D100 out by itself.....
                      .....the damn thing comes back with lipstick all over it.....

Comment

Working...
                      X