Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macbook Pro Editing

Hi all.

I'm a little confused as to why the image looks pin sharp on my Macbook Pro screen (yes I know it's Retina etc.), but when it's uploaded to JP in the upload queue it doesn't look sharp at all. What am I missing or doing wrong? Hopefully someone editing on a Retina display can shed some light on this.

These following examples are quick photos taken of my screen..

Image viewed from Photoshop
    Click image for larger version

Name:	File 2017-04-19, 7 43 30 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1044924

Image viewed from JP Upload Queue

Name:	File 2017-04-19, 7 42 41 PM.jpg
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1044925

Unfortunately Retina displays are just about the worst choice you can make for photo processing and display monitors. They artificially hide problems, look wonderful to you but awful on an industry standard LCD monitor.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I edit all my photos on a Macbook Pro with Retina Display since 3 or 4 years and have never had this problem as in the original posting. The only thing I can think of, is that these are photos in different sizes. Apart from that ... no idea.
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
        I edit all my photos on a Macbook Pro with Retina Display since 3 or 4 years and have never had this problem as in the original posting. The only thing I can think of, is that these are photos in different sizes. Apart from that ... no idea.
        If I view the photo in question (which is in the queue) on my PC, then it looks much better online, than what it looks like on my Mac online.

Here is the link to the photo, how does it look on your side? Is it anywhere close to the bad photo in my example?

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Doesn't nowhere look as bad as the photo you posted. Are you looking at the original size?
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Did you change Photoshop to open in low-resolution mode?

Right click on the PS icon and Get Info. Then check "Open in Low Resolution."

Comment

Originally posted by scmerrim View Post
              Did you change Photoshop to open in low-resolution mode?

Right click on the PS icon and Get Info. Then check "Open in Low Resolution."
              Thanks for the tip scmerrim, but taking a photo that looks sharp on my PC, looks horrible in LOW RES mode. So guess that solution is out of the window.

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                Yeah it's kinda weird. It's not always THAT bad. I manage most of the times. But it remains a little bit frustrating taking the cost of the MBP into account...

Comment

I have the a similar problem, and I think that website may have issues with displaying photos on smaller screens. There's a huge difference between the same queued photo displayed on my 13.3" FHD laptop screen and 23" FHD PC monitor. That very same image looks like crap on laptop and perfectly normal on bigger screen. They even look worse than on an old 1280px 7" tablet. Ofcourse everything looks fine in PS. The weird thing is, that even 1400px images are displayed almost on a full scren. I didn't notice any of these problems before website redesign.

So maybe it's some sort of scaling problem.

Comment

The website fits the image to the size to the browser screen. So if your monitor displays only 1280px in width and the image itself is more than 1600px width it will look indeed horrible.

A Retina display need the double size of an image. If an image is 1600px it must be 3200px to be shown clear and sharp on a Retina display. iPhones and iPads have the same issue if an image is too small for the display.

THis can cause the problems...

Comment

Here's what I meant.

1400px image displayed on 1920px 16:9 23" monitor

Name:	01.jpg
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	1015793

And same photo, but displayed on 1920px 16:9 13.3" laptop screen (not a Retina)

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	1015794

As you can see 1400px image almost completly fills smaller screen, eventhough it's the same resolution as the bigger one.

Comment

Maybe your browser and OS bar needs more space on the laptop so you have less for the picture itself. That's why it's cutted off at the top and bottom

Comment

Working...
                        X