Sony Cybershot DSC-HX300 Settings for Aviation Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Cybershot DSC-HX300 Settings for Aviation Photography

While I am not new to plane spotting, I am pretty new to photography. Recently got a nice deal on a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX300 and was wondering what settings I should use with it to capture great photos. I spot at KATL, KPDK and from my front deck as the WINNG1 arrival into Atlanta brings everything right over my house.

Any good advice will be grateful! Thanks!

Love this forum. 211 views in 3 weeks and not one response from anyone. Guess this isn't the place for me to seek help and advice.

Comment

Maybe there are no DSC-HX300 users
      “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

No experience with the specific camera, but it looks like a good start.

The most important "settings" are not necessarily on the camera; make sure you're shooting in good light, with the sun at your back, and not too far away from your subject.

I'm ATL-based, and unfortunately there aren't a lot of great opportunities to get up close to aircraft here. PDK is your best bet (afternoon only), but at this time of year heat-haze is killer (no camera will be able to correct for atmospheric distortions). ATL has some okay locations, but again the light and atmospheric conditions are not spectacular. My best suggestion would be to set the camera on auto to start, and head out and find good locations to shoot. Peach State's vintage fly-in is this weekend, Triple Tree the next weekend, and PDK's open house the weekend after that. Get used to the camera, start learning to frame your shots, and work on tweaking the settings once you're comfortable.

Comment

Working...
        X