Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Database Server

Hi all,

Within the next several hours, I will be taking the site offline for approximately 15-30 minutes to perform the final transition to our new database server.

For those who didn't see the thread below (and the specs have changed slightly as well), that means we'll now have two servers: one for processing PHP/Webpages/Serving Images, and the other dedicated solely to queries in our large SQL database.

The new server (4x Xeon 2.0 processors, 2gb RAM, 3x 72gb 10,000 rpm SCSI hard drives) should lead to a MARKED improvement in performance throughout the site.

Thanks for your patience while this necessary upgrade is completed!
    Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

Great job Chris, looking forward to a speedier surfing experience

Comment

Hi again all,

The new server is in place and operating normally.

Go try some searches on the front page... I guarantee you'll be amazed by the increase in speed, no matter what search criteria you use!

I'd like to give a big thank you to Gabe Basco for all of his assistance in getting this set up! Couldn't have done it without you mate!

One minor issue, which will be resolved soon... as of now, the [photoid=xxxx] links in the forum will not work properly.

Other than that, I hope you guys enjoy the speedier experience here at JetPhotos!
      Trump is an idiot!
      Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Kilroy
        I'd like to give a big thank you to Gabe Basco for all of his assistance in getting this set up! Couldn't have done it without you mate!
        Come on Chris, didn't do that much, just being right there with the wip screaming "Faster, Faster!".

Seriously, just did some beta testing . You're the man!!!

Cheers

Gabe

Comment

*done in his best special ed from crank yankers voice* "Yyaaaaaaay"

So that's why the site kinda freaked out on me for a while. Good job as always chris, you da man.

Comment

A second on that YAY, YAY, YAYYY!

I have to say that the site definitely will made the broadband users happy and the dial-up users estatic! I mean if it was a little bit slow on DSL, it must have been really really slow for those folks using dial-up.

Comment

WOW! jp.net really works faster now

btw. just out of curiosity...what OS you are running on your servers?
              http://ovp.fi

Comment

The [photoid=xxxxx] function is once again active. Thanks for your patience!

[photoid=173271]
                Trump is an idiot!
                Vote Democrats!!

Comment

nice work!!

next trips
                  USA/DXB August.

Comment

I'm impressed. Nice work! The search engine is a lot faster but for some reason it seems as if though the forums are working a little bit slower, at least on my computer.

Comment

wow

wow, the new server certainly is fast... I have DSL and I can really notice the difference! Top notch!
                      DFW Tower.com

Comment

Chris,

very nice. The site is zoomin' and boomin'!

gdg, why the pic?
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

photo

why not?
                          DFW Tower.com

Comment

"The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Chris,

I just wanted to say well done for installing the new server, the result is a noticeable increase in speed in ALL areas of the site.

Great job!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X