Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Post Processing

Hi all,

I added this photo and got rejected for bad post processing - I hardly did any except a little adjustment to the white and a tad bit of sharpening. Is there any saving this photo?

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=5970190

Thanks,

John

Originally posted by JohnNewsome View Post
    Hi all,

I added this photo and got rejected for bad post processing - I hardly did any except a little adjustment to the white and a tad bit of sharpening. Is there any saving this photo?

Thanks,

John
    Click on the "Check for dust" button to get the equalised view. You can see that there are very strong halos.
    sigpic
    --
    David W. Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by JohnNewsome View Post
      Hi all,

Thanks,

John

Hi John, welcome to the forums. David is indeed correct with reply. Even without equalising I can see very strong halos around the aircraft. There is a white halo around the wing and a dark halo along the top of the fuselage. There are a couple of ways this can occur.

Firstly, the halo your photo displays an often seen symptom of using D-Lighting (Dynamic lighting) on Nikon cameras. I don't know if you use a Nikon or not without checking your exif. Dynamic lighting is also found in Canon cameras too. If you have a Nikon with D-lighting please make sure it is switched OFF. It seems to kill pics of aircraft against blue skies. If this is a jpeg then there is probably no way of saving this but a good point for future reference. If you shot the photo in RAW then it might be fixable.

Secondly, the overuse of shadow/highlights functions in photoshop can also make halos occur so this needs to be used very carefully, as is especially visible against a plain background. If you use shadow/highlights, i'd suggest you equalise the image after to check you don't have any halos, as this will lead to the over-processing rejection. There are ways around this also using masking and layers to protect the parts of the image you don't want to use shadow/highlights on.

Hope this helps,

Regards, James.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
        Hi John, welcome to the forums. David is indeed correct with reply. Even without equalising I can see very strong halos around the aircraft. There is a white halo around the wing and a dark halo along the top of the fuselage. There are a couple of ways this can occur.

Firstly, the halo your photo displays an often seen symptom of using D-Lighting (Dynamic lighting) on Nikon cameras. I don't know if you use a Nikon or not without checking your exif. Dynamic lighting is also found in Canon cameras too. If you have a Nikon with D-lighting please make sure it is switched OFF. It seems to kill pics of aircraft against blue skies. If this is a jpeg then there is probably no way of saving this but a good point for future reference. If you shot the photo in RAW then it might be fixable.

Secondly, the overuse of shadow/highlights functions in photoshop can also make halos occur so this needs to be used very carefully, as is especially visible against a plain background. If you use shadow/highlights, i'd suggest you equalise the image after to check you don't have any halos, as this will lead to the over-processing rejection. There are ways around this also using masking and layers to protect the parts of the image you don't want to use shadow/highlights on.

Hope this helps,

Regards, James.
        Thank you! As a matter of fact I did just get a brand new Nikon camera, and I have not turned off D-lighting. That tip probably saved me numerous rejects! I'll check for halos now when I check for dust spots - I must have just gotten lucky with all of my previously accepted photos. On the plus side I do shoot in RAW, but if it is still unsalvageable I can probably catch the same plane departing tomorrow morning with some nice morning light.

Thanks again!
        John

Comment

Working...
        X