Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exporting Images from RAW files to Jpeg

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exporting Images from RAW files to Jpeg

    to dlowwa:
    There are cases when picture appearing well, as one picture of UAL B777 rejected the original post for " too much or too little contrast", corrected the contrast and re-uploaded, than rejected with a diff. reason (not sure right now about what) > appealed and merely got "appeal rejected".
    Also, few months ago I was limited to a max. of 1280 pixles and immediatelly after recieved multi-rejections with JPEG-Compression. An issue I could not solve until nowadays. My argument was that as a result of the 1280 limit, I found myself in such a situation that one picture (an example to this) of B747 reg. 4K-SW008, with a slight compression rejected with no explanation, just saying "JPEG Compression".
    ( as told you before I do not use Photoshop, I take pictures with RAW at 20+MB and process on Canon DPP 4.0 which is great - but as said, only recently encountered with multiple-isuues of JPEG Compression).
    Hope to be active again, when I will "decipher" the way out of this issue.
    Sincerely,
    Ike Harel
    Last edited by dlowwa; 2018-06-07, 09:39.

  • #2
    Maybe the Canon software has a setting to manage the jpg quality for jpg export from RAW? That is where I would look. You want to go for best quality / largest file size.

    Regarding the appeals, just moments ago I came across one with the appeal reason given as: "please accept it" It is very hard to give a helpful reply to that.
    My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
    My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
    ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

    Comment


    • #3
      To Seahawk:
      I contacted Canon support by E-mail, and got several answers stated there is no function on DPP for JPEG-Compression settings. Do you suggest I should take picture with "Small-RAW" instead?
      So I read through the line written,
      Ike

      Comment


      • #4
        No, Small-RAW just reduces the quality of the RAW file.

        I am not a Canon user, but I found that link: http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/...ional-ver.-4.0

        Seems like you need to use convert and save and there seem to be some settings that can be adjusted.
        My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
        My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
        ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

        Comment


        • #5
          I always do "convert and save " as the process described in the link you added.
          Thanks Stefan, sincerely,
          Ike

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ikeharel View Post
            My argument was that as a result of the 1280 limit, I found myself in such a situation that one picture (an example to this) of B747 reg. 4K-SW008, with a slight compression rejected with no explanation, just saying "JPEG Compression".
            JPG compression has nothing to with photo size, but only with ...:
            - how many times you save a photo as JPG and
            - The image quality settings (or compression settings in some other photo editors)

            Originally posted by ikeharel View Post
            I always do "convert and save " as the process described in the link you added.
            Thanks Stefan, sincerely,
            Ike
            Just save once, after all your photo editing.

            In DPP:
            - Convert and save
            - Image quality: 10
            - Inser ICC-profile
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
              JPG compression has nothing to with photo size, but only with ...:
              - how many times you save a photo as JPG and
              - The image quality settings (or compression settings in some other photo editors)



              Just save once, after all your photo editing.

              In DPP:
              - Convert and save
              - Image quality: 10
              - Inser ICC-profile
              For sure I do this precisely, instead of " Inser ICC-profile" I have "Embed ICC profile". Seems I do all required - but still pic.s come out just as same, ie with JPEG compression.

              Many thanks, hope to solve this somehow.
              Good evening,
              Ike

              Comment


              • #8
                Do you have al ink to a recent reject? Compression like artefacts can also be caused by noise reduction tools or sharpening tools.
                My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
                My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
                ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                  Do you have al ink to a recent reject? Compression like artefacts can also be caused by noise reduction tools or sharpening tools.
                  Good morning Stefan,
                  http://www.jetphotos.com/viewreject_b.php?id=6455080

                  All I could find is this link, in an earlier forum post, as more than two weeks past from other rejections.
                  Appreciate any help about this issue. And one more thing: I use Canon 60D with canon 28-135 lens, which is fast and easy to use - but maybe this can be a reason? I had the sensor cleaned just one month ago.
                  Ike

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ikeharel View Post
                    Good morning Stefan,
                    http://www.jetphotos.com/viewreject_b.php?id=6455080

                    All I could find is this link, in an earlier forum post, as more than two weeks past from other rejections.
                    Appreciate any help about this issue. And one more thing: I use Canon 60D with canon 28-135 lens, which is fast and easy to use - but maybe this can be a reason? I had the sensor cleaned just one month ago.
                    Ike
                    Hi, Ike.

                    I use Canon. I had the 60D some time back and uploaded to the dB without issue. That said maybe I can help you with some thoughts of my experience with Canon and their software compared to Adobe.

                    I do use the latest Canon DPP software (4.5.20) for some editing albeit not for here. It’s great for correcting in house canon foibles e.g. lens correction, ALO, DLO etc.. however once you start to process the RAW file be mindful of the “preferences “ tab which selects by default certain aspects (you can of course change them).

                    Under preference have a look at output dpi mine is 300 to start with, image processing -1 noise setting 3 and 4, sharpening default (all) 3. Image process -2 colour space sRGB.


                    If I assume you are doing a standard workflow in DPP I.e. brightness, WB, contrast, shadows, highlights etc... be again mindful that these adjustments are not selective in the main, which is were ( for me) Adobe has the edge.

                    As to saving the file once you have done the edit and now want to resize to jpeg for here, all of the above will be there in the file, which normally doesn’t matter unless you have a large proportion of sky and hence run a risk even at the highest save setting of compression. I do batch convert commercial images for business like restaurants and only ever use the 16bt Tiff process.

                    See Canon USA - https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/ind...888B&actp=LIST


                    Crew put together various help articles for editing I.e. https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ips-and-tricks, sorting things like, selective sharpening, halos etc... however really needs the ability/ option to separate the sky/ image.

                    I am sure images will and have been accepted using DPP, however working to the guidelines here I suspect they are the exception.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      To 777MAN,
                      Thanks, will look to your full article at home / on evening, I will have more time to see details.
                      Appreciated,
                      Ike

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 777MAN View Post
                        Hi, Ike.

                        I use Canon. I had the 60D some time back and uploaded to the dB without issue. That said maybe I can help you with some thoughts of my experience with Canon and their software compared to Adobe.

                        I do use the latest Canon DPP software (4.5.20) for some editing albeit not for here. It’s great for correcting in house canon foibles e.g. lens correction, ALO, DLO etc.. however once you start to process the RAW file be mindful of the “preferences “ tab which selects by default certain aspects (you can of course change them).

                        Under preference have a look at output dpi mine is 300 to start with, image processing -1 noise setting 3 and 4, sharpening default (all) 3. Image process -2 colour space sRGB.


                        If I assume you are doing a standard workflow in DPP I.e. brightness, WB, contrast, shadows, highlights etc... be again mindful that these adjustments are not selective in the main, which is were ( for me) Adobe has the edge.

                        As to saving the file once you have done the edit and now want to resize to jpeg for here, all of the above will be there in the file, which normally doesn’t matter unless you have a large proportion of sky and hence run a risk even at the highest save setting of compression. I do batch convert commercial images for business like restaurants and only ever use the 16bt Tiff process.

                        See Canon USA - https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/ind...888B&actp=LIST


                        Crew put together various help articles for editing I.e. https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ips-and-tricks, sorting things like, selective sharpening, halos etc... however really needs the ability/ option to separate the sky/ image.

                        I am sure images will and have been accepted using DPP, however working to the guidelines here I suspect they are the exception.
                        To: 777MAN,
                        My DPP software was upgraded on May 18th 2018 to DPP4.8.30 (the latest), the page looks a bit diff. Checked the preferences according to your guidance and found the following:
                        1. Color space sRGB .
                        2. DPI output at 350 .
                        3. Camera default settings at : sharpness - 4 , noise both at 3 ( and usually I use 4),

                        Found something that I have no idea about, bellow the noise reduction" slider there is another slider "Reduce color moire' " which I did not find anything on the web.

                        I appreciate your will and effort - probably I will have to learn to use PS some day when I will retire... until than, I will make field tests yet more times again.
                        Good evening,
                        Ike

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 777MAN View Post

                          I am sure images will and have been accepted using DPP, however working to the guidelines here I suspect they are the exception.
                          I have photos accepted here which have been edited with DPP and some even edited with the standard Mac Photos app. I don't use those software more, because of my shortcuts in Photoshop, which make me edit photos very fast.
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                            Do you have al ink to a recent reject? Compression like artefacts can also be caused by noise reduction tools or sharpening tools.
                            Hello Stefan, and I'd like to refer this to Geri (LX-A343),
                            For the last three weeks I contacted Canon support in England and Canon-DPP software support as well other experts on the internet about the issue of JPEG-Compression.
                            Answers I recieved were that my camera (Canon 60D) settings were precisely as requiered, and when presented the original JPEG photo of Reg. 4K-SW008, and the Equalized picture sent to me in the rejection E-mail I had recieved elaborated replies stating that this was not a case of an excessive compression.
                            One surprising answer was that it was a case of intense hazy sky which had an excessive 8000 Kelvin light-color-temprature, on the upper part of the sky, caused a blotchy sky's.
                            I was also suggested to a minor alteratins on the original picture which I will do .
                            My question is:
                            How can I re-upload the picture, and make it going through for screening and rerconsider by a senior member? For me it is importent.
                            Sorry to be a bit conceren with this issue.
                            Wish you all a nice new day,
                            Ike

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              hi,
                              Could you please send me the raw file, out of the camera to [email protected] so that I can have a look at it ?

                              Thanks
                              Alex

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X