Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planespotting in Salt Lake City

Hi All,

I am currently planning a trip to Salt Lake City and are considering to spend a day or two planespotting.
    As I have been able to see the only two places is 2100N and the garrage as it looks like the bike trail south of the airport has been closed (looks like itīs fenced off on Google map).

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or experience planespotting in SLC ?
    Best regards

Peter Lund

SLC is my hometown airport. So prepare for a long reply. 2100 N is a good spot when the 16L is in use which is usually in the mornings and the police will be on you pretty fast. The parking garage is good in the evening but it's very hard to avoid heat distortion. You'll want to go to the southeast corner of the building on the third floor. If you go to Hyatt place just west of the airport there is a fence with a few no trespassing signs which scares most people off. But under the BP5A sign there is one with bike trail hours on it. As long as you are within these hours you can open the door and go out on the trail. My favorite spot is 4700 west street. On terminal drive coming towards the airport you turn right at air cargo. At the end of this road turn left onto 4700 W and there is a turnout where you can park. I like to go a little further up the road. If you walk all the way to the end of the the road you will see the same set up as the previous location. From here you can take the bike trail all the way out the end of 35 which makes this work as a morning spot too. The police will drive by every now and again but they hardly ever talk to you. Salt Lake is dominated by Delta so a 34R/16L spot will give you the best airline variety. And it helps to bring a water bottle. And if you have time the Hill Air Force Base Museum up in Ogden is a good visit to.
    My sincerest apologies if this seemed boring or unhelpful.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thank you for replying, I really appriciate your reply and time.
      I have looked on Google Maps and the only 4700W I could find is a good distance from the airport and seems hard to take pictures from due to the distance.

Do you by any chance know the bike trail hours ?
      Best regards

Peter Lund

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lund View Post
        I have looked on Google Maps and the only 4700W I could find is a good distance from the airport and seems hard to take pictures from due to the distance.
        I think Michael meant 3700W. Must be close to the former golf course entrance.

Comment

Thanks Julian,
          That would make more sense and I think I have found the mentioned spot.
          Best regards

Peter Lund

Comment

Working...
          X