Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What camera is suitable for taking photos at HKIA T2 Skydeck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What camera is suitable for taking photos at HKIA T2 Skydeck?

I just only have a Nikon Coolpix P7100 camera and i always take blurry photos as the focal length of the camera is too short.
    Any suggestions for ideal cameras and lenses for HKIA T2 Skydeck spotting?

(P.S.: i am new to JetPhotos Forum)

The camera you have is still ideal. In fact any camera is suitable, even point and shoot and cellphone cameras. You just need to play around with the settings and maybe get a longer lens for the distant shots.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1BBC3E7C-663C-4B18-8D01-62F7D273058F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	1030530

Just like this

Comment

Originally posted by KA9608 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]18875[/ATTACH]

Just like this
        Way too large for an upload here. In addition too noisy and dark. Maybe you want to start with easier subjects, like taxiing or static aircraft. No camera will help you if you don't master the basics of photography.
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by Pta Aviation View Post
          The camera you have is still ideal. In fact any camera is suitable, even point and shoot and cellphone cameras. You just need to play around with the settings and maybe get a longer lens for the distant shots.
          Whilst not being ideal your point and shoot will, with careful use produce uploadable pictures, especially ground based pictures. Cellphone cameras rarely produce pictures of sufficiently good quality for use on Jetphotos.

You ask for a recommendation ? The answer for me is any mid range DX format DSLR with a 70-200 or 70-300 zoom lens.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hong Kong Skydeck

Originally posted by KA9608 View Post
            I just only have a Nikon Coolpix P7100 camera and i always take blurry photos as the focal length of the camera is too short.
            Any suggestions for ideal cameras and lenses for HKIA T2 Skydeck spotting?

(P.S.: i am new to JetPhotos Forum)
            Put VHHH into the search on the database and see what others are getting at Chek Lap Kok. Some (including myself) are revealing their cameras, lenses and EXIF settings. A key ingredient is sun. You can get fully cooked on the Skydeck in the middle of summer so stay in the limited shade and dash to the barrier when your target is coming. Have you seen the guy who dresses completely in white even covering his face? There is one spot where the aircon spills out of the building. Come December you can get beautiful sunshine and low temperatures but there seems to be a lot off pollution hanging round the Pearl River Delta these days. Typhoons sometimes scrub that out of the air so go the day after the typhoon and you might get clean air, cool temperatures and sunshine. I other words - choose your day.

Further, don't limit yourself to the Skydeck. I've never been asked what I'm doing around the airport in Hong Kong (unlike Heathrow and Incheon) so feel free to wander around as long as you don't climb fences into airside. I gather some local photographers take long hikes after ferry rides but mostly I take the bus to the catering area or the other end of the runway.
            sigpic
            --
            David W. Wilson

Comment

Going by the EXIF there a few basic setting wrong.

- You seem to use spot metering - this is not good. Use centre weighted or matrix metering
              - with the small sensor you must find out how high you can go with the ISO and how far you can open the aperture and still keep sharp pictures - I guess ISO100 and probably F7.1 or F8 on the long end

Do you understand the connection between ISO, shutter speed and aperture?

200mm effective focal length is probably too little for departure shots and you should limit yourself to taxi shots. With the low MP count you want to fill the frame as much as possible.
              My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
              My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
              ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Working...
              X