Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night photography at Haneda

Hi there,
    I am planning to try some night photography on the observation decks at Haneda and seem to be all ok with the settings (first time optimism). However, the wire fence is causing me some trouble. If you set up the tripod behind the fence and shoot is its case of the fence somehow magically disappearing? During daylight I put my lens right up to the fence and yet other photographers didn't seem to do that, my brain never suggested I should try the same technique myself! I can't imagine how you can set up a tripod there such that the lens is able to be between the wires. The fence slopes outwards and is relatively far away from where you stand, to take a photo you have to lean in quite a bit.
    I realise this question is very specific to this airport, if anyone has any suggestions then I would be very happy to hear them.
    Cheers,
    Bob

Originally posted by bobh View Post
    Hi there,
    I am planning to try some night photography on the observation decks at Haneda and seem to be all ok with the settings (first time optimism). However, the wire fence is causing me some trouble. If you set up the tripod behind the fence and shoot is its case of the fence somehow magically disappearing? During daylight I put my lens right up to the fence and yet other photographers didn't seem to do that, my brain never suggested I should try the same technique myself! I can't imagine how you can set up a tripod there such that the lens is able to be between the wires. The fence slopes outwards and is relatively far away from where you stand, to take a photo you have to lean in quite a bit.
    I realise this question is very specific to this airport, if anyone has any suggestions then I would be very happy to hear them.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Since the wires are somewhat moveable/flexible, it's easy - just get yourself some laundry-type pins or ties and use them to create a temporary gap in the wires that is big enough to fit your lens through. Pick two wires, and pin/tie the upper one to the wire above, and the lower one to the one below. The gap should be big enough to fit a lens up ~80mm through. When you're done, remove the ties and the wires go back to their normal positions. Done it myself, and seen the locals do it as well.

Comment

I did what dlowwa suggested, just moved the wires and poked the lens through.

Comment

Working...
      X