Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Range camera recommendation

Hi everyone,

I started spotting around five months ago with an old Nikon Coolpix 5700 but my camera stopped shooting two weeks ago, possibly because it got a bit wet when it started to rain heavily. The technical service said they couldn't repair my camera because it was too old so now I'm waiting for my birthday in two weeks to have a new one. Which mid-range camera would you recommend me? What do you think about the Canon 800D (Rebel T7i) or 80D?

Thanks,

J.Thort

Originally posted by J.Thort View Post
    Hi everyone,

I started spotting around five months ago with an old Nikon Coolpix 5700 but my camera stopped shooting two weeks ago, possibly because it got a bit wet when it started to rain heavily. The technical service said they couldn't repair my camera because it was too old so now I'm waiting for my birthday in two weeks to have a new one. Which mid-range camera would you recommend me? What do you think about the Canon 800D (Rebel T7i) or 80D?

Thanks,

J.Thort
    That's more or less like asking for car recommendation, or pizza, computer, ...

Anyway, it all depends on your budget and your requirements. The 800D is a very good entry level camera. The 80D even a bit better. I still have a 40D, which I use from time to time and am still happy with it!! Both cameras are good for spotting. If you go with the 800D, you will have a few more money left for lenses, which is more important, than the body IMO.
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

J.Thort
      Hi, either of the 2 would be a good camera to use for spotting. Personally, I'd buy the 800D & spend the money saved on a lens.

Comment

I use the 800D as my main body, and I absolutely love it. I also use a 1200D as backup (which you can pick up dirt cheap used), or for when I need to run two lenses at once.

Comment

I own some 3-digit and 2-digit Canon DSLRs, including the 80D. As mentioned above, either the 800D or 80D will serve you well.

With the 800D you will get the same resolution, same AF and same self-cleaning sensor. I thought I would mention what the real world differences are for the pricier option (80D):

- bigger buffer, which is good for continuous shooting in RAW
          - additional dial on the back allows nicer/quicker control for changing exposure compensation
          - more custom functions, including some for the AF
          - ISO in 1/3 stop increments (but I think this is a hidden feature on the 3-digit DSLRs also? Never bothered to check)
          - better body build quality - will not show wear nearly as readily, handy for resale value
          - better body build quality - feels much nicer to hold and operate... but this is only apparent if you use a 3 or 4-digit model first

The first item on the list is an actual limitation that one could run up against (I did), the rest are more like curiosities.

Now, I thought it was interesting that the guys both mentioned saving money on the body and putting it towards better lenses. I would offer a different view: considering how fantastic and cheap the basic 55-250mm is, and how expensive the L lenses are, I would argue that a few hundred dollars saved on the body would be difficult to spend on glass (maybe that new non-L 70-300mm? Or half way to a non-OEM 70-200mm f/2.8?). Those dollars could, of course, be enjoyed some other way.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

J.Thort
            Both are very good DSLR bodies, personally id recommend looking into the 80D if it's an option for you!

If you are willing to go second hand you can also get some pretty good deals on DSLRs on websites like eBay, I bought my Canon EOS 7D online second hand for $500 NZD ($340 USD) with around 30,000 shutter hours on it and it works a like a charm!

Comment

You are starting it from the wrong side, the first thing to ask is: What lens do I need?

The Coolpix 5700 gave you an effective 420mm focal length. So if you often had to use the maximum zoom on the Coolpix, you know that you will need at least a 300mm lens on a APS-C DSLR and at least 400mm on the FF DSLR.

Now as you are used to the Nikon system already and as I am more familiar with it, I will focus on the Nikon system for my reply.

As a lens the best choice is the Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-6.3G ED VR. So if you then add a Nikon D5600 Kit incl. AF-P DX 18-55 VR you end up around 10% over the price of an 80D body and should have a system that covers all focal lengths and should do just fine for spotting.
              Last edited by seahawk; 2018-11-20, 11:36.

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will also take in account the Nikon when I decide as I've seen good reviews and found packs that include the body and the 18-55 and 70-300 lens mentioned above for a good price.

I've also found some packs that include the Canon 80D or 800D with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM + Tamron AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro.
                Do you think they are good lens for spotting?

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

Comment

I've also found some packs that include the Canon 80D or 800D with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM + Tamron AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro.
                  Do you think they are good lens for spotting?

I wouldn't recommend the Tamron, I have an older version of the same lens that I got 15 years ago. It was somewhat adequate back then but these days I would really suggest something with a stabilizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Quebec Golf View Post
                    I wouldn't recommend the Tamron, I have an older version of the same lens that I got 15 years ago. It was somewhat adequate back then but these days I would really suggest something with a stabilizer.
                    Is the stabilizer of the camera useful?

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

Comment

Is the stabilizer of the camera useful?
                      In my opinion yes! That's because for aviation photography I generally shoot hand held. Plus, image stabilization is fairly common today even on non-expensive lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                        As a lens the best choice is the Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-6.3G ED VR.
                        Thatīs indeed a very good lens for a very affordable price. Used this one for at least 80-90 percent of my images you can find here on JP.

Comment

Originally posted by CO777/200 View Post
                          As a lens the best choice is the Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-6.3G ED VR. Thatīs indeed a very good lens for a very affordable price. Used this one for at least 80-90 percent of my images you can find here on JP.
                          +1. I’ve got one of them. Damn good lens.
                          Last edited by brianw999; 2018-11-26, 10:53.
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                          X