Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Shooting Modes on DSLR

Hi Team!

I now have had my second photo accepted on JP https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9138033 and I have to say it has given me more encouragement!

My question is what mode is best for shooting in such as the photo above? or in general Aviation photos my camera is a Canon EOS 60D and I use a Canon EF-S 18-200mm 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Dash8captain View Post
    Hi Team!

I now have had my second photo accepted on JP https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9138033 and I have to say it has given me more encouragement!

My question is what mode is best for shooting in such as the photo above? or in general Aviation photos my camera is a Canon EOS 60D and I use a Canon EF-S 18-200mm 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

Thanks in advance!
    I usually go with:
    - AV mode
    - f/8
    - ISO 100, as long as shutter speed is fast enough, otherwise I adjust ISO to 200 or 400, depending on available light
    - exp. comp: +1/3
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Great thanks for that will have a go with those settings and see how I go!

Comment

Hi Team!

Thanks in advance!
        First of all congratulations!

Secondly much like LX-A343 said I usually always have my camera set up in full manual for F/8, ISO 100 and typically a Shutter speed of 500, however, this I've found normally only works well on nice weather 'blue sky' kinda days.

If you get things like cloud covering the sun.ect I normally will set F/7.1 and then i'll adjust the ISO accordingly to counter the darker light however my personal limit when i'm plane spotting is ISO 200 maximum, past that ill start dropping the shutter speed. Typically I'll also take a few practice shots on the adjusted settings aswell (normally of my car which is parked down the road from my regular spotting location) just to make sure that the settings for that particular light are correct before shooting any aircraft

I hope this helps in some way, keep up the photography and I look forward to seeing more from you on here!!

Kindest Regards
        Jordan

Comment

Here are two images i've taken over the last few months Terry, just to better describe what I mean when adjusting the settings...

The first was taken with nill cloud covering the sun during late afternoon:
          [1280px]. ZK-MVW. ATR 72-600. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The second was taken with light cloud covering the sun early in the morning:
          [1280px] - Wearing the Air New Zealand 'ALL BLACK' livery. ZK-MVA. ATR 72-600. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

If you look at the EXIF data between the two images you will see the adjustments in the F-Stop and ISO too each photo under different meteorological circumstances,
          Last edited by Jordan Williams; 2018-11-20, 09:14. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Comment

Hi Jordan thanks for reaching out! great to see you on here too!

Thanks a miliion those tips are awesome!

Comment

Hi Jordan thanks for reaching out! great to see you on here too!

Thanks a miliion those tips are awesome!
              Anytime Terry! Feel free to flick me a Facebook message if you ever want anymore advice or tips!

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Williams View Post
                Here are two images i've taken over the last few months Terry, just to better describe what I mean when adjusting the settings...

The first was taken with nill cloud covering the sun during late afternoon:
                [1280px]. ZK-MVW. ATR 72-600. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The second was taken with light cloud covering the sun early in the morning:
                [1280px] - Wearing the Air New Zealand 'ALL BLACK' livery. ZK-MVA. ATR 72-600. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

If you look at the EXIF data between the two images you will see the adjustments in the F-Stop and ISO too each photo under different meteorological circumstances,
                Hello Jordan, that photo examples are nice.
                may i have your suggestion about my photo
                JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

when equalized, there are dark halos surrounding the airplane.
                what caused it exactly? and how to minimize it?
                i use a nikon d5500

Comment

Did you switch of the "D-Lighting" function on your camera ? If not, please do it. That usually creates this type of halo on Nikon users photos.

Regards
                  Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                    Did you switch of the "D-Lighting" function on your camera ? If not, please do it. That usually creates this type of halo on Nikon users photos.

Regards
                    Alex
                    ow, I didn't notice it. thanks for the input. I'll check about it

regards,
                    Cahyadi

Comment

Originally posted by Cahyadi Prabowo View Post
                      Hello Jordan, that photo examples are nice.
                      may i have your suggestion about my photo
                      JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

when equalized, there are dark halos surrounding the airplane.
                      what caused it exactly? and how to minimize it?
                      i use a nikon d5500
                      Hey there, thanks for your kind feedback and I’d take Alex’s advice onboard regarding the Nikon,

I’m a Canon man myself so I can’t help much outside of your typical ISO, Shutter and F-Stop

Kindest Regards,
                      Jordan

Comment

Hi Team!

Thanks in advance!
                        Hello
                        With my Canon 70D I use the TV mode for shutter speed because from my point of view the speed of the aircraft is very variable compared to the camera. As a result, the diaphragm will be the automatic one. Even the ISO I set up automatically. Very important is also the autofocus mode that I have set on AI-SERVO, except when the plane is stationary; in this case I use ONE SHOOT.
                        Sorry my bad english

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Williams View Post
                          I usually always have my camera set up in full manual for F/8, ISO 100 and typically a Shutter speed of 500, however, this I've found normally only works well on nice weather 'blue sky' kinda days.
                          This is known as the sunny 16 rule https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule

Note that fixing all three elements of the exposure triangle (e.g. ISO 100, f/8, 1/500) will only produce an ideally exposed image under one particular amount of light out of an infinite number of possible lighting conditions. That is why the semi auto modes such as Av and Tv are so popular.

Speaking of which, I got curious and took a quick sample of photos from the Random section on the homepage. I clicked around until I got 10 photos with visible EXIF. Out of the 10:

4 were taken using semi-auto modes (Av in all cases) - this is those of us that set ISO and Aperture (or shutter speed)
                          3 were on full manual - people that set everything
                          3 were on mostly auto (Program AE both cases) - people that set ISO only *

Edit: * ...and possibly tweak shutter vs aperture using Program Shift, can't tell from the EXIF

Comment

Originally posted by Quebec Golf View Post
                            This is known as the sunny 16 rule https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule

Note that fixing all three elements of the exposure triangle (e.g. ISO 100, f/8, 1/500) will only produce an ideally exposed image under one particular amount of light out of an infinite number of possible lighting conditions. That is why the semi auto modes such as Av and Tv are so popular.

Speaking of which, I got curious and took a quick sample of photos from the Random section on the homepage. I clicked around until I got 10 photos with visible EXIF. Out of the 10:

4 were taken using semi-auto modes (Av in all cases) - this is those of us that set ISO and Aperture (or shutter speed)
                            3 were on full manual - people that set everything
                            3 were on mostly auto (Program AE both cases) - people that set ISO only *

Edit: * ...and possibly tweak shutter vs aperture using Program Shift, can't tell from the EXIF
                            Wanting to also leave out many other things such as, for example, the depth of field (the A380 sometimes happens that the nose is in focus and the tail blurred due to the lack of depth of field) or the panning technique.
                            In short, take as much as possible and treasure the experience.

Comment

Working...
                            X