Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military planes photography in Germany and Switzerland

I welcome all.
    I ask to excuse in advance if created a subject not in that section. Maybe whether who will prompt perhaps photography of military planes in Germany, namely in vicinities of Munich and in Switzerland, in the neighborhood of Zurich.

For Switzerland, the 2 most active bases are Meiringen and Payerne. Both are 2h drive from ZRH. Meiringen is famous for its fabulous background but watch out because in winter you get sun on the bottom of the valley (where the base is) only from the 20th February or so. The fence is 1m high and there's a public viewing deck at the base
    Payerne is the most active base but they have built a 3m fence around the base which makes photography much more difficult. There are still a few good spots though but a ladder might be useful.
    In Switzerland there's 4 missions a day, 2 morning, 2 afternoon. Missions are about 1h long and include between 2 to 6 aircraft per squadron

I hope it helps
    Alex

Comment

On the German side the closest base to Switzerland is Laupheim where HSG64 with the helicopters is based. The you have TLG74 at neuburg and WTD61 at Manching.

Comment

thanks. I plan to be in Munich in the spring, can and it will turn out to make a sortie

Comment

Might sound stupid for those who know but I have no clue: is it normally allowed to photograph such military activity in Switzerland and Germany?

Comment

In Switzerland there's no issues at all. When there's high fences, I just put my ladder against the fence and never got a trouble with anyone, security and police just passes by and says hi. Meiringen is extremely spotting friendly, fences are only 1m high and there's a nice viewing platform with great view on the apron and runway. Feel free to ask any security patrol about traffic, they would usually give you the daily schedule.
            Flights start at 8h to 12h, then 13h to 17h - No flights on Weekends

Comment

and vchy there can be difficulties? The sky it the general, secrets are not necessary to us - just planes in the sky

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                In Switzerland there's no issues at all. When there's high fences, I just put my ladder against the fence and never got a trouble with anyone, security and police just passes by and says hi. Meiringen is extremely spotting friendly, fences are only 1m high and there's a nice viewing platform with great view on the apron and runway. Feel free to ask any security patrol about traffic, they would usually give you the daily schedule.
                Flights start at 8h to 12h, then 13h to 17h - No flights on Weekends
                Thank you Alex! This is a hobby I personally enjoy only when stress free and that's hardly the case with military subjects. Although I love general and commercial aviation more I will happily include some F-18 LSMM action in my bucket list following your info!

Comment

Originally posted by nik-pilgrim View Post
                  and vchy there can be difficulties? The sky it the general, secrets are not necessary to us - just planes in the sky
                  I totally agree but this is still our - aviation photographers' - point of view, more than often not shared by the security bodies of each establishment, which of course I totally understand and respect, hence my question.
                  I have no idea what is the case in Russia (I see that is your location) where you have so many "treasures" for an aviation photographer but in Greece for example I recently noticed that even civil and international airports like our largest one, LGAV, are now... pixelated (!) on Google maps, although no real life restrictions on photography or being around apply.

Comment

On May 16 I plan to visit Meiringen airfield. Maybe who will keep the company?
                    I plan to leave Zurich by electric train

Comment

Working...
                    X