No announcement yet.

Anyone use Tamron's super zoom lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use Tamron's super zoom lenses?

I'm currently looking into a new lens for aviation photography and have found that for my style of shooting a super zoom lens would most likely fit the requirements I need for the mix of both wide angle and telephoto aircraft images.

Im aware that because of the large focal range that image quality may be slightly reduced so i'm interested to know if anyone on here has used or owns either the Tamron 16-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC PCD or the Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 II VC HLD for photographing aircraft and how the quality stacks up as well as any advantages/disadvantages with either lens?

Especially interested in hearing from anyone who uses the 16-300mm as this is the most price friendly option out of the two.

Thanks in advance,

Kindest Regards,
    Jordan W

Hi, a friend of mine is using Tamron 18-400 for military photography but it is not as sharp as other tamron lenses. I am using Tamron 70-300mm VC USD and I am satisfied with it. I suggest you to go for Tamron 100-400mm for Aviation photography.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by hamza_397 View Post
      Hi, a friend of mine is using Tamron 18-400 for military photography but it is not as sharp as other tamron lenses. I am using Tamron 70-300mm VC USD and I am satisfied with it. I suggest you to go for Tamron 100-400mm for Aviation photography.

Regards.
      Thanks for your reply! Will look into the 100-400 as an option

Comment

definitely go for the 100-400! if u need something biggger, tamrons 150 600 is excellent too

Comment

Originally posted by Desert.aviation View Post
          definitely go for the 100-400! if u need something biggger, tamrons 150 600 is excellent too
          Cheers for the suggestions! 150-600 may be a bit long for round here but definitely the 100-400 is an option at this stage! Thanks for your help!

Comment

Thanks for your help all! I have taken a completely different turn an ordered a old used Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG, for the price couldn't say no despite the age. I look forward to sharing images from it soon, Merry Christmas!

Comment

Hello. I recently bought the Tamron 100-400, this is one of the results (apart from the rejection not due to the quality of the lens).
              JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The focal length of this shot is 400mm
              This, however, is 100 mm
              F-GSLZ. Dassault Falcon 100. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Originally posted by mahagonny View Post
                Hello. I recently bought the Tamron 100-400, this is one of the results (apart from the rejection not due to the quality of the lens).
                JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The focal length of this shot is 400mm
                This, however, is 100 mm
                https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9173146
                Hey There,

Great shots and looks like a awesome bit of kit! I ended up getting a deal on a second-hand Sigma so no need to hunt for a new lens anymore however thanks for your help and suggestion!!

Kindest Regards and Merry Christmas,
                Jordan W

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Williams View Post
                  Thanks for your help all! I have taken a completely different turn an ordered a old used Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG, for the price couldn't say no despite the age. I look forward to sharing images from it soon, Merry Christmas!
                  Good lens. This at 400mm on a Nikon D70S 6mpixel...... https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5814171

....and this at 310mm....

Arriving at the first Lydd Airshow. The aircraft was late to arrive due to having to assist the Essex Air Ambulance at a serious road accident.. G-KAAT. McDonnell Douglas MD-902 Explorer II. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!
                  Last edited by brianw999; 2018-12-25, 11:11.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    Good lens. This at 400mm on a Nikon D70S 6mpixel...... https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5814171

....and this at 310mm....

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5814169
                    Stunning shots! Looking forward to giving it a go on some aircraft soon!!

Comment

Working...
                    X