Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Shot Category

Hello Colleagues.

I would be grateful for further clarification regarding the category 'Night Shot', as this is something that has caused me to receive a few rejections of late. It could simply be that, at my age, I am now a slow learner, but I would be interested to hear the views of others.

I had a couple of photos rejected this week, in part because I had failed to tick the 'Night Shot' category. These photos were taken at about 10am on a mid February morning, so something around 3 hours after sunrise. Rejections in the past for the same reason had shown me that I needed to remember that the category 'Night shot' was not, in fact, what it said on the tin (i.e taken during the night time, or at least once the sun had gone below the horizon), but included where there were long shadows in the image, created by a low sun. I found this very counter-intuitive, but that was the rule. Evidently I have now been remiss in determining what count as 'long shadows'. The latest rejection was in bright sunlight and there are no 'long shadows' that I can see.

Maybe Brexit is increasing my irritation levels (and, if so, I apologise) but if the site insists on the need to categorise such shots differently, do others agree with me that calling the category 'night', yet requiring that category checked for photos in bright sunlight, taken hours after sunrise, could be seen as rather misleading for unloaders.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Anna'sDad View Post
    Hello Colleagues.

I would be grateful for further clarification regarding the category 'Night Shot', as this is something that has caused me to receive a few rejections of late. It could simply be that, at my age, I am now a slow learner, but I would be interested to hear the views of others.

I had a couple of photos rejected this week, in part because I had failed to tick the 'Night Shot' category. These photos were taken at about 10am on a mid February morning, so something around 3 hours after sunrise. Rejections in the past for the same reason had shown me that I needed to remember that the category 'Night shot' was not, in fact, what it said on the tin (i.e taken during the night time, or at least once the sun had gone below the horizon), but included where there were long shadows in the image, created by a low sun. I found this very counter-intuitive, but that was the rule. Evidently I have now been remiss in determining what count as 'long shadows'. The latest rejection was in bright sunlight and there are no 'long shadows' that I can see.

Maybe Brexit is increasing my irritation levels (and, if so, I apologise) but if the site insists on the need to categorise such shots differently, do others agree with me that calling the category 'night', yet requiring that category checked for photos in bright sunlight, taken hours after sunrise, could be seen as rather misleading for unloaders.

Thanks.
    Hi Paul,

As mentioned in the upload guide, the 'night shot' category applies "for photos taken at dawn, dusk and night. For Dusk and Dawn photos these should show a red-orange glow and long shadows. Dusk or dawn shots where the aircraft is a silhouette in front of a rising or setting sun".

This is different from how a.net applies the category, which is only when the sun is below the horizon. Applied practically here, it means anytime there is a low angle of light, and the associated warmer tones. In more northern areas during winter, this time may extend several hours beyond actual sunrise/sunset.

In any case, it shouldn't be a huge concern, as we would rarely reject an image for this category (or any category) alone, and only in cases when the uploader has been warned multiple times about it. If you are unsure if the category applies to a given image, just leave a note for the screeners when uploading, and if all else is well with the photo, we will almost always fix it for you.

Comment

Hello Dana.

Great to hear from you. I did in fact try to contact you personally a couple of times to discuss this but, like my inability to post until now, it seems those attempts didn't get through.

I have read the upload guidelines and work hard to try to keep in mind the different rules for different sites. Despite its title, I could cope with the definition of 'night' to include dawn and dusk, but where I really struggle is this interpretation of 'long shadows'. Let me see if I can post the latest rejection .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	GJZHU15219PRM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	820.2 KB
ID:	1033776

I see no long shadows or anything which could be seen to fit the definition as you have explained it above for me. I am afraid this doesn't feel like a helpful way of going about things. There is nothing at all about this photo which will help me think 'could reasonably be considered to be taken at dawn' when I am uploading.

Cheers.

Paul

Comment

As I said, low angle of the sun + warmer hue can be classified as night shot, whether technically dawn/dusk or not. And again, this not something to waste a lot of time worrying about as we will always correct any borderline cases, especially if you’ve left a note expressing uncertainty.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
          ........And again, this not something to waste a lot of time worrying about as we will always correct any borderline cases, especially if you’ve left a note expressing uncertainty.
          Notes to screeners are a very useful tool.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I appreciate the time to respond Dana. I have to admit it doesn't sit comfortably in my head though, because I just cannot understand how classifying such shots as 'night' helps anyone (in terms of searching etc). But I will try to express my uncertainty in uploads.

I have a number in the queue now taken in February, so am left with that uncertainty. Should a shot like this correctly be coded as 'night'?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	GTUMC26219PRM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	874.9 KB
ID:	1033789

I wouldn't assess this one as having a warmer hue there. But, as it is currently in the queue, I could go in there and correct the omission if necessary.

Paul

Comment

best tip :

- in case of doubt just leave a nice message like "Hi, not sure if this is night, please correct if wrong, thanks" - and I guarantee you that our team of screeners will pay attention to it and correct it if needed.

Cheers
              Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                best tip :

- in case of doubt just leave a nice message like "Hi, not sure if this is night, please correct if wrong, thanks" - and I guarantee you that our team of screeners will pay attention to it and correct it if needed.

Cheers
                Alex
                It might be nice to leave a message to the screener, as we say in Italy to indicate that you are a kind person: "paid coffee".

Comment

Working...
                X