No announcement yet.

Nikon D50 Performance/Photo Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the factory refurbed D3400 is a bargain with the lens included. I personally prefer to buy used gear and well known shops, as they have a return policy and the description of the condition is reliable.

The D300 is interesting because it has the better autofocus (compared to a D3400) and can use older AF-D lenses. But if you do not plan on using those, I think the D3400 with the 55-300 should work just fine. I used the 55-300 on holidays. Steeped down to F8 is is sharp and the biggest editing obstacles is a bit of vignetting correction needed.
    Last edited by seahawk; 2019-05-09, 17:42.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
      I think the factory refurbed D3400 is a bargain with the lens included. I personally prefer to buy used gear and well known shops, as they have a return policy and the description of the condition is reliable.

The D300 is interesting because it has the better autofocus (compared to a D3400) and can use older AF-D lenses. But if you do not plan on using those, I think the D3400 with the 55-300 should work just fine. I used the 55-300 on holidays. Steeped down to F8 is is sharp and the biggest editing obstacles is a bit of vignetting correction needed.
      I have had a look at lenses actually and for £150 there's a Nikon 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 G AF-S DX VR. Looking at sharpness tests it does come out much stronger than AF and AF-P lenses. Also the future proof of this lens is quite appealing. Using this chart https://www.nikonusa.com/Images/Lear...lity-chart.pdf it's compatible with all Nikon DSLRs, so I could stick with the D50 for a little while then move upwards later on. Here the sharpness tests https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...mp=0&APIComp=0

Comment

In reality, I think the new P versions are better overall, but the 55-300 is good enough to last you a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
          Do I sense a Nikon Fanboy
          Noo, not at all
          For me the body size and control layout was always the reason to stick with midrange Cams. Plus the capability vs size vs price -ratio is best imho.
          Well the 70-300VR is, despite its age, a good lens especially on Crop sensors! You get what you paid for...
          And if you save a few months, you'd be in the market for a D7200 which is imho the best solution these days if you want size, very capable crop sensor and reasonable price in one body. If you buy cheap now, you'd be back in the market for an upgrade in no time. It's a nature's law (the "gear acquisition syndrome") kicking in soon!

Comment

Working...
          X