Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpness, depth of field and screening result

Hello,

I am curious to know if the screeners expect sharpness throughout the all airframe for each photo. There are configurations with subject distance, focal length and aperture that results in unfortunate lower depth of field, where the all aircraft cannot be in focus, and especially prints on the front (airbus type for instance) vs prints of the back ( registration). This is obviously happening if the shot is not full side but partially angled. I
    Do the screener need the all airframe strongly within the depth of field, or can for instance a good picture with strong sharpness on the front part be accepted. I believe I have seen some of these but I would like to have your thoughts of this. Thanks.

Originally posted by RSD View Post
    Hello,

I am curious to know if the screeners expect sharpness throughout the all airframe for each photo. There are configurations with subject distance, focal length and aperture that results in unfortunate lower depth of field, where the all aircraft cannot be in focus, and especially prints on the front (airbus type for instance) vs prints of the back ( registration). This is obviously happening if the shot is not full side but partially angled. I
    Do the screener need the all airframe strongly within the depth of field, or can for instance a good picture with strong sharpness on the front part be accepted. I believe I have seen some of these but I would like to have your thoughts of this. Thanks.
    Unless there is justification for it not to be so, we generally expect the whole aircraft to be in focus.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
      Unless there is justification for it not to be so, we generally expect the whole aircraft to be in focus.
      May I ask what conditions would justify not having the whole aircraft in focus?

Comment

Originally posted by jvdl View Post
        May I ask what conditions would justify not having the whole aircraft in focus?
        Such instances would be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
          Such instances would be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
          To be clear, I am not looking for a loophole, it's just curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by jvdl View Post
            To be clear, I am not looking for a loophole, it's just curiosity.
            As other techniques, DOF and sharpening are techniques to compose a picture. There is no rule for such a question. As mentioned above, photos are judged on a case-by-case basis. Some photos work and are accepted, others not.
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I've done the math before and f/8 really does have you covered for DoF for most aviation photography situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Quebec Golf View Post
                I've done the math before and f/8 really does have you covered for DoF for most aviation photography situations.
                The point in discussion is about DOF/ acceptance?

As Geri and Dana point out its about a case by case assessment . You are right, a lot of accepted images are "f8" and above and some less/more.

The site has guidelines, however there is flexibility.

If trying to be creative it really helps if the photographer puts in some annotation in the comments to screeners.
                Regards T
                Last edited by 777MAN; 2019-05-17, 19:54.

Comment

Originally posted by 777MAN View Post
                  The point in discussion is about DOF/ acceptance?
                  My reply was in response to:

Originally posted by RSD View Post
                  There are configurations with subject distance, focal length and aperture that results in unfortunate lower depth of field, where the all aircraft cannot be in focus
                  My point is that for typical combinations of distance-to-subject and focal-lengths, an aperture setting of f/8 will provide enough DoF to cover the subject. In some more exotic scenarios I assessed even f/4 would do. f/8 is just easy to remember for all those folks who think such a setting will give them better pictures due to lens sharpness.

Lots of other reasons why a portion of an aircraft could end up blurry though.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                  X