Photo Database Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Database Problems

Tonight (2/27) while trying to program in the new re-upload photo feature, I mistakenly overwrote every photo path in the database. What does this mean? The photos are still on our server, but the database has no idea which photo goes with a photo id, so the only thing we could do was restore the last backup of the database, which was on Feb. 16th. So that means that approximately 4000 photos have been lost in the database. We are still trying to figure out a way to recover the links to the photos, but at this point it looks very grim. I ask that you don't lose faith in this site, and reupload any photos that may have been lost. If you don't want to, then that I respect your decision. Our backup script was operational but somehow the cron job to execute it never functioned since the last manual backup. Measures are being take to assure this doesnt happen again. Thanks for your understanding.

The database has been restored, and it is now safe to continue uploading once again.

:flamesuit on:
    JetPhotos.Net Lead Programmer
    www.jetphotos.net/matt/

I for one am very pissed as I lost stuff last time and have again lost stuff. Whats to say this will not hapen again ??

Comment

Originally posted by hkgspotter1
      I for one am very pissed as I lost stuff last time and have again lost stuff. Whats to say this will not hapen again ??
      Daryl,

Along with Matt, I sincerely apologize.

This was a freak occurance, caused by the inadvertent ommision of two words from a 20,000 character script.

It was compounded by the fact that our automated 3-hour backups had stopped functioning some days ago, which has been remedied already.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience, but I can honestly promise it won't happen again.
      Trump is an idiot!
      Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Life's too short to get upset over things like this It is disappointing.. hope you guys get things under control soon..

Comment

Last time this "rare" occurance happened I lost something like 25 pictures. This time (now not such a rare occurance) it was 16. This is getting real old fast.

Jeff

Comment

"Last time this "rare" occurance happened I lost something like 25 pictures. This time (now not such a rare occurance) it was 16. This is getting real old fast. "

You think Im not pi*sed at Matt either eh? My valuable upload time was wasted hehehe. I do agree with you. If this happens one more time...
            Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
            Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
            http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

It was bad enough to loose 5 pictures last time - this time it was 70!!!!

To have a server crash with no backup once is bad - to have it occur again within a month with a lot of data loose is unforgivable really.

This has the potential to be a great site but a lot of people are going to be very very unhappy at this given the 'assertions' made after the last time.

Get your act together on this or people will start leaving

Comment

I`m so pissed off!!!!!
                Few days ago You changed the way without any notice how to upload planetypes and factorycodes... I had 17 pics rejected. So I changed the way how I wrote them and uploaded them again... Now they are gone with over 100 other uploads!

I spent hours trying to make sure that every detail was ok, construction numbers, line numbers, manufacture years, names etc... now they are gone wit h many hours of uploading time...

Trust You after all this... Do I have any options? By all means even with all Your mistakes You are by far the best arena for me to show my photos!

I`m sure You must be as pissed of than I am...

well... no time for writing now, got to start uploading again...and again and again...

Harri

Comment

Hi all

Yep, another batch from me has been lost again.

I'm sorry to say this but will have to refrain from uploading until I get confirmation that this will not happen again.

A private website I know, but some re-assurances are needed.

Cheers

Gary Watt

Comment

I too have lost upwards of 90 pics , i am not very happy at all .

I personally think that this has now done more damage than you will think with regards to people stopping uploading ... i honestly hope im wrong !

I think a very good idea would be to perform a manual backup every 3/4 days , it may be time consuming but it would not require eveyone to loose heart in the site and or loose 2 weeks of uploads.

Comment

I am somewhat what with Gary, I’ve lost around 50 pics. I am not pissed, just frustrated. Since I work in the IT business, designing Internet DP sites (e-banking, e-government, etc.). I know the importance of setting up backup and most important recovery procedures against disasters. I always ask my clients “What is the maximum time for recovery?” not “How long will the backup window be?” Backups are only useful if the recovery works and works in a certain amount of time. No use having a backup on an e-bank which takes 12 hours to recover.

I am going to start uploading, but would like to know how is the backup going to be done, frequency, media and more important, recovery procedure and if its tested and will be tested in what frequency. Recovering from disaster must be a common practice, especially if this site wants to be big; it can only be big if it has a decent Service Level Agreement. Of course, better it happened now than in a year were instead of loosing 5000 pics you might loose 100000 pics.

I know Chris and his team has put a lot of hours and dedication in this project, I hope this does not stop their illusion in creating a wonderful site where everyone is welcomed.

Comment

Rest assured that no-one is more upset than the crew here.

Personally I have lost in excess of 150 photos in the two crashes, and it's very, very frustrating.

What I would say is keep the faith.

Something good is building here, it would be a shame to spoil it all now.
                        We are all human, we all make mistakes, and we all learn from them. I suspect serious lessons are being learned after this latest problem, which incidentally, was in an attempt to improve the site, by adding a requested feature.

It would be easy not to listen to you the users and not make improvements, but that not what this site is about. In doing this is does involve a small element of risk. Unfortunately things have conspired against us, not once but twice, and while a hard drive crash is entirely outside anyone's control, Matt held his hands up immediately and accepted responisbility for the latest problem. He could have lied, and nobody would have been any the wiser, but again, that's not this site's style. Let's at least give him credit for coming clean and admitting his error.

So at the end of the day it's your choice whether you continue to contribute to this site, but all I would say is think about what leaving here will actually achieve.
                        If this site closed, where would people put their shots who can't get them on a.net?
                        This is a vibrant, and active place to be, and it has a great future. If you are looking for gaurantees that there will be no problems in the future, I doubt you will get them........Can anyone get a gaurantee from Johan that a.net will never crash, or suffer any kind of hardware/software problem...........I doubt he would gaurantee that, so its a bit unfair to expect that here.

The staff here remain comitted to delivering the best aviation site around, all we ask is that you bear with us and keep the faith.

Regards

Garry
                        Garry Lewis

Air Team Images - www.airteamimages.com
                        Air Traffic Controller - Toronto ACC (West Low)

https://flic.kr/ps/AAWk8

Comment

The upload queue is still very healthy.

Thanks everyone who is sticking with us.... the whole scenario has been very testing to all of us , dont think we do not care ... i for one was VERY frustrated.... after a coffee and a sandwich ...i have regained my composure

please find the time to continue re-loading your lost images...

I have a feeling that this will NOT happen again

regards Tony

Comment

Hi all

Frustrated maybe but I am sure it will not put me off uploading.

Now that this has happened I am pretty sure the backup will be more 'backed up' now

Been having a great time scanning old prints on the flatbed and just a bit frustrated that all the work has been lost.

Never mind.........I am probably the only one scanning prints on a flatbed nowadays.....or am I
                            If I keep on getting good results, I'll be selling the DLSR!

Cheers

Gary

Comment

Well - in the two years I have been sending pictures to a.net - I have never lost any through a technical problem - only rejections

Comment

Working...
                              X