Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twr75
    replied
    Photos taken where the sun is in places other than directly behind you can work, but only in certain circumstances. This is the only way to get reflections on the aircraft, otherwise the sun overpowers them.

At some places however, most if not all the interesting movements occur when then sun is at it's worst, so there's no other option than to try your luck and give it a go....

[photoid=184696]

Leave a comment:

• Freightdogg
    replied
    Kat,

Usually mechanical locks of some type are employed since over a period of time hydraulic pressure would tend to bleed off. One of the most common things that must be done with an aircraft coming out of long term desert storage is to replace most of if not all of the hydraulic seals. When they are not used for a while they tend to dry out and leak.

Leave a comment:

• Katamarino
    replied
    Could it not be applied internally through the hydraulics, or are they bled out for storage?

Leave a comment:

• Freightdogg
    replied
    Oddly, whoever put the planes in storage seems to have forgotten to install/engage any kind of control lock. A real bad thing to overlook for long term storage.

Leave a comment:

• Derf
    replied

Plane was in storage at Goodyear A.Z. and they tape it up to seal the aircraft to keep the critters, sand, sun and me out!

Leave a comment:

• Katamarino
    replied
    Why are the wheels in the last shot wrapped in plastic?

Leave a comment:

• Derf
    replied
    Sky Harbor can be difficult. It is very hard to get pictures from the North unless there is some cloud cover at certain times of the year, which can take months there! Advice, try getting a long zoom and hitting the side roads to the south of the airport.

North side of the airport, service road (Touchdown point)

Another tip, If you hit the service road on the north side of the airport and take it west until it turns south past the nothern runway, there will be a turn around. I would park there and shoot (Will be in direct sun)

Here are some shots from the area with my old 1.3 megapixel and 100mm zoom (UGH)

View

Type of shots

Move 100-200 feet away

A far better place is going to Goodyear 20 min away and getting shots like these

[photoid=112617]
    [photoid=112599]
    [photoid=112613]
    [photoid=112612]
    [photoid=112610]
    [photoid=112603]
    [photoid=112620]
    And if you are really lucky, you may meet a nice guy and get shots like these!
    [photoid=112626](ME)
    Let us know how it goes. Good luck and hope to see more soon

Leave a comment:

• Stephen Toernblom
    replied
    Hi Brad,
    I rejected those photos because you basically were shooting into the sun. They are nice shots, just taken from the wrong side. Try to photograph the planes on the sunny side, with the sun behind you. Hope this helps.

Stephen

Leave a comment:

• Leftseat86
    replied
    Dont shoot from there if the sun is like that. Unlike some other sites we do tend to discriminate against backlit shooting.

-Clovis

Leave a comment:

• Freightdogg
    replied
    Brad,

If you have a spot metering mode on your camera you could get proper exposure of the airframe under backlit conditions, but then you will wind up with an overexposed and washed out sky. So the best thing to do is to make the light work for you and not try to force the photo no matter where the light is coming from. As a general rule the brighter the light the worse this problem will be for you. For example if you have a backlit shot on a day with a thin overcast the averaging meter on your camera may produce a well exposed shot though it will likely have low contrast. Tanuj has given you the best advice, if you can't change your spotting position to take advantage of the light, then change your time of day so the light is working for you.

Leave a comment:

• JeffinDEN
    replied
    Brad, the advice given above is sound. Don't think you can't take pictures under those conditions, just don't expect too much from them. Think about what is happening there....the camera see's all that light, and shortens the exposure to properly expose the bright background. Anything in the shadow will be dark and underexposed.

Leave a comment:

• greyfox
    replied
    Re: rejections

Hey all:

So the lesson learned here is....if the sun is either directly above or on the opposite side of the aircraft, dont waste your time shooting.

Leave a comment:

• SWA733Captain
    replied
    Always shoot the sunny side of the aircraft. The number one basic rule. That fourth one looks a bit unlevel too...

Leave a comment:

• indian airlines
    replied
    Brad,

Usually the sunny side of the aircraft must be shot.

What u could do is, if u went to the airport in the morning, go in the evening, or vice-versa. That way, standing in the same position, you will have the sun working to your advantage.

Leave a comment:

• greyfox
    started a topic Rejections: RE: Poor lighting

Rejections: RE: Poor lighting

HI all:

Got some rejections here in a batch....I was a little upset about these as I spent a lot of time working on them. That said, I CAN take criticism. These all came back poor lighting, backlit. It was a (obvisouly) severe clear day in PHX. Since I cant change the sun angle, are these trash photos??

Also, how can I alleviate this on future days?

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject.php?id=118683
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject.php?id=118669
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject.php?id=118662
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject.php?id=118650

Working...
X