Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a DSLR...

Yes, I do.

My friend Jay Piboontum recently upgraded from his D30 to a 10D, and subsequently, his Sigma 28-300EX to the 75-300 III IS Canon. So he let me use his D30 and the sigma all week! (Thanks Jay!)

I had much too much fun...the flexibility is amazing, even with the D30's 3.2 MP I get images clearer than my camera would ever produce...
    And if I could get a nice lens to go with it, who needs 6MP...!

This was 1/90th of a second, f/11 (I think) ISO 100, at 300mm (480mm)...

And not even Canon Glass!

I can say I will be saving every PENNY at my new job towards this camera...

-CLovis

Damn! If you can get this stuff with 3.2 mp's think what can you do if you get a 300D.

Comment

Greg, I learned its not the MP with a DSLR, more so the glass...better the lens, more images will be sharp, more you can crop, more you can have fun...

A 300D with a cheap Sigma IMO is worse than a D30 and good Canon glass (L or a 75-300IS USM)

-Clovis

Comment

True, 3.1 mp on my Kodak at close range yielded quite nice results. I like the ability to crop tight with 6.3mp and I have the Canon 75-300mm non-IS so I can get some good results from a distance. Of course how much do you need for SWA 737's.

Shouldn't you be screening? It's backing up.

Comment

Would this Sigma - 135-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO-Aspherical lens for Canon AF(worth 519.99) be a good match for my 300D.

Nick

Comment

300D has a EF mount not AF. Also I would go for a Canon lens as I find those more reliable.

Comment

I know AF means auto focus but what does EF mean.

Nick

Comment

Ah you meant Auto Focus.

EF means the type of lens mount that a Canon has. The 300D has a EF lens mount. My old Canon SLR has an AF mount. It just designates the type of attachment it has.

Comment

So that lense will work on the 300D

Nick

Comment

Well it should, you can get it if you want. I would go for a canon lens still. My 75-300mm lens was $139.99 and is quite decent.

Comment

I would not put too big a lens on the 300D, although I'm sure the mount is not as fragile as it seems, simply for "feel" purposes, I wouldnt.

Another reason why i think I will opt for D30 over 300D...better feel, better build.

-Clovis

Comment

The mount is actually quite sturdy. The body though is plastic so I don't want to hit anything on it when it's cold.

Comment

300D is a treat.
                          i use it with a canon 300mm USM lens and its amazing, much better than the D60.

i have put some heavier lenses on it, no problems for me, heaveier lens on the D60 is awful, it adds way to much weight! having tried the 10D, D60 and 300D i find the light feel of the 300D suits me best.

you will also need to sharpen quite a bit more with the D60, the sensor on the 300D is more superior.

Clovis,
                          why dont you ask Jay if you can buy his old camera?

taken from a 300D

next trips
                          USA/DXB August.

Comment

Jay is maybe thinking of selling, not sure yet, but if he does I am a taker!

-Clovis

Comment

Originally posted by Longreach747
                              you will also need to sharpen quite a bit more with the D60, the sensor on the 300D is more superior.
                              Not quite. IIRC, the sensor on the D60 is the same as the one on the 300D, it's just that the default sharpening setting on the 300D sharpens more than that on the D60.

Comment

Working...
                              X