X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me please Andy Hunt

hey andrew
    i noticed you have spotted at Haneda!
    i am headed over to tokyo for some spotting in march for 5 days, i booked a hotel not to far from haneda, can you advise me of some spots and how to get to them, same with narita too. or if you have some contacts that may help me out will be great.

thanks

LR.

next trips
    USA/DXB August.

why dont you contact him via email?

btw, he probably is still in Portugal.
    greetings,
    Philip

Comment

Nope, back from Lisbon, and had a great time.

Regarding Haneda, the only spot that I used was in the terminal, top floor there is a viewing area. It is very easy to get to, just go to the middle of the terminal (shopping area) and take the lift to the top floor. Get out and there you are.

Can't recommend any other spots as this was the only one I used. Becuase of the light, this is only a AM spot. Not sure about PM locations.

What I did was AM at Haneda and PM at Narita. There are two terminals at NRT and both have viewing terraces. The JAL / ANA terminal is a PM location and the other terminal is the AM location.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by andyhunt
        What I did was AM at Haneda and PM at Narita. There are two terminals at NRT and both have viewing terraces. The JAL / ANA terminal is a PM location and the other terminal is the AM location.
        and just to add to this, JAL/ANA terminal referred here is the terminal 2 of NRT, and the AM location is terminal 1. Both have good terraces, I found terminal 1 good because you can see the runway clearly, and terminal 2 viewing deck is just taxi-way and the gates. In AM, you can see quite a few european aircrafts landing at T1, I've taken pictures (tho not uploaded coz of poor quality) of KLM, BA and VS as well as many JAL/ANA, etc.

Ive heard that there's a good viewing spot from the Aviation museum by the runway for good landing/takeoff photo opportunity too, personally ive never been there yet. Maybe you can try there for PM tho i cant guarantee it. There's also a viewing park but I dont know much about that.

Maybe some other ppl here (andyhunt?) who might be able to extend this...

p.s. it costs quite abit if you take a Narita Express train from Tokyo to NRT, i cant remember but try alternatives if you want to save some cash, there's a cheaper but same time alternative leaving from Ueno and another station, train is called Keisei Skyliner. Or you could take a rapid train which takes longer but much cheaper, you can catch this from Tokyo station with JR service.

Comment

I've done some PM spotting at both places and both turned out quite well. I prefer spotting at NRT much more than I do at HND. NRT has much more variety. In addition to the spots that Andy has mentioned at NRT, I have read that there are a few other places to spot on a website. I attempted to find these this summer while I was out in Japan, but by the time I got there from the suburb in tokyo where my parents live, the particular bus line I needed had stopped running. Here is the website with more information. http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~ito-nori/spot/spot_nrt1.htm Those other spots look to be quite nice if you have the right equipment. I have found that the spotting terraces are best for ramp/taxi shots, but anything on the runway is a bit too far away for my 6x zoom. Anyway, here are some shots that I took while spotting in the evening at both places.

[photoid=70921]
          [photoid=71520]
          [photoid=143860]
          [photoid=143856]
          [photoid=143836]

oops, how'd those get in there?

Also, let me know when you'll be out there, my parents live in Japan and there's a slight chance I might be out there visiting them for spring break in March. I might be able to meet up. Same goes for anyone else.

Comment

i might be goin to NRT in spring, maybe in march time (maybe april...) although chances are, im only goin to be at actual NRT for a little while, like for the day I arrive and for the day before I depart and the morning of my departure (I always stay at Holiday Inn Narita hotel for the night before setting off because it's a mid-day flight and i like to have some time at the airport)

anyway keep me updated

Comment

u2,
              i am staying at the nikko winds narita from 29-30mar and rest of the time is in downtown tokyo.

thanks for help guys.

philip,
              i think it is obvious why i put it here, so i could get as many opinions as possible! or is that not allowed

next trips
              USA/DXB August.

Comment

BTW Andy....Big Rodent? Nasty!

Comment

Originally posted by andyhunt
                  Nope, back from Lisbon, and had a great time.

Andrew
                  nice to hear, and you brought great shots like that 743!
                  greetings,
                  Philip

Comment

Emu International Photography
                    Careful, the aboriginals claim the Emu as their national symbol and use of it by others without their permission is, in their opinion, unlawful. They even scaled the walls of the old Parliament House and took the Aussie coat of arms down in protest!

ADG
                    ADG
                    No makeovers please .....

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                      Emu International Photography
                      Careful, the aboriginals claim the Emu as their national symbol and use of it by others without their permission is, in their opinion, unlawful. They even scaled the walls of the old Parliament House and took the Aussie coat of arms down in protest!

ADG
                      Then I'll just pull the same thing that my school does with our mascott (the fighting sioux) and claim that it was out of honor. If they want to come all the way out there to North Dakota to tell me that, then I'll change it

Comment

Working...
                      X