No announcement yet.

Rejected for Horizon Unlevel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much better, Grant!! The grain is almost gone.

There 's just one minor thing I dislike: there's hardly a difference between the tail and the clouds. This happens in such weather conditions. I would perhaps played around more with curves and levels to get more contrast.

Cheers
    Gerardo
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Here's the steps I took: Adjust levels and contrast, resize, used the dodge tool to lighten the belly a touch, slight color balance adjustment, USM shapening, and filter for grain.

Comment

Thanks guys... Looks great. I just need the closeup though. Posted the original file cause it's better to work with. I used a combination of your tips to get to this result.
        End result should have been 50px next to the engins on fill size, crop, rescale to 1024w and then crop to 768h. Did that but forgot to save, was in a rush to get to the x-mas lunch at work

Where could I get more info on the color dodge and USM techniques.. I've fooled around with USM but hardly see any differance so end up jus tusing sharpen and some auto level things. Also I'll convert to CMYK and do some curve corrections.

I have a lot of pics but most get rejected cause of grain or blur, even when no blur is used or any sharpen. Mostly its when I sharpen a blury pic it gets rejected for grain and when I don't do anything It gets rejected for blurry.
        Is this a digicam prob or something. I can manualy set cam to sharpen hard instead of normal, tried it but then you can count the pixels

Any help welcome.. Pretty noob at digital photo correction.

Thanks,

Michael
        Profile | AVIATION-PHOTOGRAPHY.nl

Comment

It is extremely difficult not to wash the tail out!

Good luck with your queued photo!

Comment

Was this more like what you were shooting for?

Comment

All heil Freightdogg.

Awsome man... Any luck with the second image.. Was aiming on an 50px from nose to tail.

EDIT: Just added it and got accepted, thanks again.
              Taxiing to 36L.
              Camera: DiMAGE S414. PH-BQB. Boeing 777-206(ER). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Thanks,

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by xiphias
                EDIT: Just added it and got accepted, thanks again.
                Aw, i wanted to give that picture a try but didn't have the time earlier. Could you still upload the original picture again so i can have a go?

Comment

Originally posted by xiphias
                  ... Any luck with the second image..
                  I think you set up all the links in the earlier post to point to the same photo. At least I can't see any difference in the first and second trio of links you posted. Show me how to find the second one and I will see what I can do.

FYI in the last one in order to keep from washing out the tail I masked off the plane and then darkened the sky just a bit. By doing so it made the tail stand out without going to any extremes. Then I just added a bit of saturation to increase that effect, last step was to filter for grain. Glad you liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantT
                    Aw, i wanted to give that picture a try but didn't have the time earlier. Could you still upload the original picture again so i can have a go?
                    I can always upload a better version of this image Trying to get it accepted on Airliners also. Going to be hard I think.

Originally posted by Freightdogg
                    I think you set up all the links in the earlier post to point to the same photo. At least I can't see any difference in the first and second trio of links you posted. Show me how to find the second one and I will see what I can do.
                    My bad. Copy & Paste and forgot to edit. Only one in my department now at work cause of the holidays. 7 telephones to keep track off and 7 mail accounts. Besides my own work and JP.net I fixed them and should work OK now.

Thanks,

Michael

Comment

Here's the steps I took: Adjust levels and contrast, resize, used the dodge tool to lighten the belly a touch, slight color balance adjustment, USM shapening, and filter for grain.
                      Which filter do you use? Dust & Scratches followed by USM?

Michael

Comment

I had already visitied your website and thought that this might be the second photo so had this already done in case it was...

Grain filtering is best handled by Neat Image for most photos but for some I also use MediaChance DCEnhancer which has a useful noise filter as well as other features.

Comment

Be careful with NeatImage it can make certain parts of the picture look soft.

Comment

Had a go with the other image, i find it hard to not get a "washed out" effect on a white tail in overcast conditions without it looking unnatural so i didn't bother editing the tail.

As with before i changed the brightness and contrast and gave it some USM, i also ran it through Neat Image.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantT
                              Be careful with NeatImage it can make certain parts of the picture look soft.
                              Grant is correct, Neat Image can be a double edged sword. The same filtering that evens out grain can wash out areas of an aircraft or soften edges. It very commonly can cause large areas of grass (often found in aircraft photos) to appear as just a green smudge. It takes a lot of practice to use it to the best effect. Just keep working with it though and some very nice images can be saved from very grainy photos. As with all post processing techniques - practice, practice, practice.

Comment

I had already visitied your website and thought that this might be the second photo so had this already done in case it was...
                                Did you use the original image here or the already resized low-low res version on the site?

What did you think of images there? Anything worth tweaking and adding to JP.net?

Grain filtering is best handled by Neat Image for most photos but for some I also use MediaChance DCEnhancer which has a useful noise filter as well as other features.
                                I'm guessing those are plugins for PS or are they seperate apps?

Thanks,

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X