Canon 300D & EF 100-400 L IS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 300D & EF 100-400 L IS

We all know that the 10D and the 100-400 is a great combination, and no doubt using it with the 300D will produce great results, but has anyone had experiece of using one with a 300D - in terms of weight distribution, how it feels etc? I'm really interested in geting one, but fear for the life of my 300D if i add one on.
    Opinions please before i march off down to my local Jessops - it's either that or the 70-200 f4 + 1.4x convertor option.

Thanks all, James.

Even though the 300D has a plastic body the mount is quite sturdy. It handles my 75-300mm lens well. I don't think that it should be a problem.

Comment

A bit off topic James but it's good to see another person from the Steel City on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
        Even though the 300D has a plastic body the mount is quite sturdy. It handles my 75-300mm lens well. I don't think that it should be a problem.
        Greg,
        the 75-300 is hardly a challenge for any camera body.

Comment

Yea, Greg...

the 100-400 IS is like 2-3 times bigger and longer then an ordinary standard 75-300mm lense. I'm sure the 300D will be able to hold the 100-400 IS on the mount. I'm sure Canon had the design to make it study for heavier, longer, and bigger lenses.

Kevin

Comment

The mount really shouldn't be a problem.
            Given that the lens weighs far more than the body you will find the mount only has to support the weight of the body as you will be supprting the lens yourself or with a tripod or monopod.
            You don't hold onto a big lens like that with the camera but by supporting the lens so it really is not an issue.
            I am using a 10D withthe Sigma 500 which is not that much heavier than the 400 and you actually carry the lens rather than the camera so i think any canon mount should be able to support the weight of a 300D.
            Have fun with your new kit.
            Darren Howie

Comment

I have tried the 100-400 on the 300D, thank you Dan.

You really feel the lens is heavier, but not that much out of control (read:, the lens wants to go down, but it ain't that bad). I think the bigma will produce more trouble (I'm gonna buy that one), but I'm also buying a batteryack, might be an option for you too

Comment

I've had a chance to play with the 100-400 on a 300D. Not mine but an instore abused model. Seemed sturdy to me.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm already using the 75-300 at the moment, but its a fraction of the weight of the 100-400, so i was just wondering how it would feel with the extra weight slapped on the front.

Looks like a good option then....just have to find the money .

GrantT: hi, yep, i'm livin' in the steel city. MAN's my local though - not bothered with Leeds-Bradford . (no offence meant to any keen LBA spotters).

Comment

I've been to LBA once James. You just can't spot anywhere!

Comment

I am not a fan of the push-pull of 100 to 400.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by boeingbill
                        I am not a fan of the push-pull of 100 to 400.
                        Bill
                        Yeh well, it takes all sorts doesn't it Bill! :P

As far as the 100-400 is concerned, the mount on the 300D shouldn't be a problem but a friend who uses the 75-300 found the weight of the 100-400 in general rather difficult to handle at first especially when he'd got it zoomed right out so his left arm was supporting this great lead weight stuck out in front.

Andy

Comment

Start lifting weights...

-Clovis

Comment

or your 100-400L (and that improves other things as well )

Comment

Working...
                            X