I need advice on Sigma Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice on Sigma Lens

I've been doing alot of spotting at L.A.X. this previous week with a Canon Rebel using a Sigma 70-300mm telephoto lens. I would like to sell this lens and advance to a Sigma lens that will extend to 500mm. Which model do you guys recommend and about how much should I pay. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated
    -Ralph Duenas

Knowledge & Power Overcome Superstition And Luck.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

sigma make only one 500mm lens
    50-500mm

checkout the photos by darren howie, he uses it!

monopod is needed!

next trips
    USA/DXB August.

Comment

Wrong,

Sigma also makes this lens:

It's focal length is 170mm to 500mm. You don't need a monopod to shoot with a 500mm lens..

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
        Wrong,

Sigma also makes this lens:

It's focal length is 170mm to 500mm. You don't need a monopod to shoot with a 500mm lens..

Jeff
        50-500 is pretty damn heavy at 2kgs.

forgot about the 170-500, though i did enquire about that and was told it would have to be rechipped for use on Canon 10D and 300D. 50-500 needs no rechipping to my knowledge.

next trips
        USA/DXB August.

Comment

re-chipping is only needed if the lens was manufactured before a certain date.

Comment

who says you need a monopod at high lengths? Just learn to keep steady

If you shake like an 85 year old Grandma though, you may want to invest in a monopod

-Clovis

Comment

G'day Spartan
              The 50-500 is sharper at pretty much all focal lengths than the 170-500 from reports by people who have used both.Particularly beyond 350mm.
              I would recommend a monopod for two reasons.
              1/ Using the pod means you don't have to stand around holding the beast and it does weigh a bit.
              But it is built like a tank and from reports from several nature photographers can stand alot more punishment than many far more expensive lenses when treated poorly.
              2/ It really does help when shooting at 780mm equivalent which you get with my 10D.I don't often shoot that long but given the weight of it the pod helps quite a bit for both steadiness and most importantly taking a load off.
              Have fun its an excellent lens.
              Darren Howie
              Sydney
              Australia

Comment

truely,

for the 50-500mm, a tripod or a monopod is recommended. Darren said it, becuase the monster weighs a good 4 lbs and would you want to hand held the lense for 2-3 hours at the airport? no, your arms would fall apart, lol.

Kevin

Comment

Thank you all so much for the advice...now I need to sell my current lens and save for the new one . Next ? Do you guys recommend I find one on ebay or should I get it directly from a store. It seems like you could get good deals on Ebay.
                  -Ralph Duenas

Knowledge & Power Overcome Superstition And Luck.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Hi all

I use the Sigma 170-500 and try to steady it whenever I can.

I attached it to a tripod one and was pretty heavy, nearly toppled it over.

Cheers

Gary Watt

Comment

G'day
                      Doesn't surprise me.
                      When was taking the photo'f of the fireworks down on Sydney Harbour the other night i thought my little tripod was going to give way.
                      WIth the weight of the 10D plus Vert grip and the 50-500 it was almost to much for one of the legs!!
                      A for where to get one i'd definitely get one direct new from a shop.
                      That way you can
                      A)Take some test photo's to see the AF system works nicely with your body.
                      B)If something does happen you have a warranty to rely on.
                      I heard hear all sorts about the Sigma AF not working withCanon so iwas particularly careful buying this lens and it paid off.
                      The AF is pretty quick for a long lens and pretty much spot on which is what i would be looking for.
                      Have fun
                      Darren

Comment

darren,
                        the 50-500 has a connection i hope to attach it to the monopod?

if i put the camera on the pod the lens would snap the mount of the 300D.

next trips
                        USA/DXB August.

Comment

G'day Monty
                          It comes with a Titanium tripod mount that also acts as a camera grip which is veryhandy for hauling the lot around.
                          It looks quite a bit better than the tripod mount on the 100-400IS which from looking is only a tripod mount.
                          The mount is light/removable and strong as an ox.
                          Seeya
                          Darren

Comment

Is the Sigma 50-500mm lens heavier than the Canon 100-400mmL lens.
                            When you say you need a monopad or a tripod to shoot with the Sigma is this just because of the weight of the lens,or because of camera shake.
                            Has this lens got any kind of stabilization on it.
                            The reason i am asking this is because i am buying a 100-400L lens on praise and advice from other people and because of the IS in the camera i don't think any of them use a mono or a tripod,just handheld,although it must get heavy after a time.

Ian
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=2633

Comment

Is the Sigma 50-500mm lens heavier than the Canon 100-400mmL lens.
                              When you say you need a monopad or a tripod to shoot with the Sigma is this just because of the weight of the lens,or because of camera shake.
                              Has this lens got any kind of stabilization on it.
                              The reason i am asking this is because i am buying a 100-400L lens on praise and advice from other people and because of the IS in the camera i don't think any of them use a mono or a tripod,just handheld,although it must get heavy after a time.

Ian
                              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=2633

Comment

Working...
                              X