Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focusing speed

Originally posted by http://www.creativepro.com/story/review/11530-2.html
    Most of the time you'll probably be using autofocus (assuming you're using an autofocus lens), so the D30's lack of focusing screen probably won't be a problem. The D30's autofocus is accurate and usually quite fast, but there's enough of a lag that capturing fast-motion action at just the right moment can be difficult: Sports photographers may want to let this bargain pass them by. For the great majority of other uses, the autofocus speed should be fine.
    Do you D30 users feel this a problem?
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Shutter lag exists in many digital cameras, you just have to learn how to pan with aircraft, it's not a big problem.

I think Clovis just got a D30 maybe he can help you further.

Comment

I don't know what the hell he is talking about. If he means the fact that the D30 lacks a splitscreen manual focusing screen, I don't see it making much a difference other than the fact that making very precise manual focusing adjustments is more difficult. Look at it this way, the Air Tahiti 340 I shot was about 500ft away going 150kts, the camera still focused quickly (and this is with a second rate lens!).

Focusing time will mostly depend on the glass you have with the D30.

-Clovis

Comment

Shutter lag exists in many digital cameras, you just have to learn how to pan with aircraft, it's not a big problem.
        He's not talking about shutter lag, he's talking about focusing speed. And trust me, when you go from point and shoot to DSLR...that shutter lag will become VERY apparent.

-Clovis

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
          He's not talking about shutter lag, he's talking about focusing speed. And trust me, when you go from point and shoot to DSLR...that shutter lag will become VERY apparent.
          Yes sorry, i should have read the quote a bit more thoroughly.

Comment

Clovis, you're clearly very happy with your D30, and that's great, but it shouldn't blind you to limitations of the camera - AF is certainly a weak point of the D30 (though all things are relative) and has let me and many other shooters down on more than one occasion - but it does take a while to know when the AF is going to work well and when it isn't.

It is a fairly well known issue that in some conditions, the D30 seems to be sluggish when tracking a subject with all 3 focus points active. In a 3/4 approach shot, for example, there is a considerable difference in the nose and tail focus, and the D30 seems to struggle a bit in working out how to handle this. I and many others found that by switching to a single AF point (usually the centre one) the camera was much more responsive, esp. in AF Servo mode.

Cheers,

Colin

Comment

In addition to what Colin said: when I was still shooting slides (remember the times?) with my EOS 30, I also switched to a single AF-point for approach shots, but mostly I selected the one to the left or to the right of the middle AF-point, depending, in which direction the a/c was moving. That way, the front section was always sharp

I didn't try this with the EOS D60 though.

Gerardo
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Gerardo - yes, that's a technique I use with both the D60 and 10D which works well.

Cheers,

Colin

Comment

Yep... fantastic camera as it is, the AF on the D30 could be better.

Still, like Colin and Gerardo have said, tips like pre-selecting your focus point usually helps a lot.

Cheers!

Rez

Comment

It is a fairly well known issue that in some conditions, the D30 seems to be sluggish when tracking a subject with all 3 focus points active. In a 3/4 approach shot, for example, there is a considerable difference in the nose and tail focus, and the D30 seems to struggle a bit in working out how to handle this.
                    Thanks for the tips Colin. I have encountered this at LAX Saturday, with exactly those 3/4 approach shots. I've mostly been playing around with the camera to see what works best, going from 1-3 focusing points, and such. I've only been using it for about 2 weeks now.

I know the D30's focusing may be slow sometimes, but coming from my point and shoot, it is lightning fast. I learned to work with my point and shoot to take action shots, so the D30 really makes it even easier. I have used a D60+100-400 combo a few times, and noticed that it focuses very quickly. Coming from my other camera, the focusing speed of the D30 is wondeful! Sometimes it has a little trouble, but most of the time it isn't something I can't work around.

-Clovis

Comment

thx for the focus point, need to try that some time

Comment

Thanks guys.
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Working...
                        X