Contrail Suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrail Suggestions...

I finally got around to borrowing a Nikon F SLR and a 100-450mm telephoto (obviously for those shots I can't get with my F717 ). Anyway, anyone care to give me some tips on how to get some contrail snaps? Thanks in advance.

P.S. How good is the quality of Photo CD. I was thinking about having my film shots put on there so then it would be easier to upload.
    CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Well I don't think that 450mm is enough zoom for these shots. I have tryed myself, but I used 900mm and the airplane is still very small.
    Regards
    Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Comment

I was thinkin the D60 or 10D with a 100-400IS would do the trick...

Our good friend Dan shot this one from the ground with (I think) his D60 and the 100-400 IS USM... Looks good to me:

[photoid=147800]

Adam

Comment

PHoto CD quality pretty much sucks.

Adam..... <crop, crop, crop> dude....

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN

Adam..... <crop, crop, crop> dude....
          It worked though... didnt it? :P

Seriously though, you think i could get good contrail shots with a 100-400 lense?

Adam

Comment

No, not on it's own.

Comment

Hello,

Well, of course a DSLR will help because you'd have an additional crop factor of 1.6 or 1.5 respectively. If you're using a D60 or a 10D you can also crop the files more than slides.

With the setup you have now I would try to get directly under the aircraft & shoot widebodies only (saves money). As for the shooting itself, it's important to have a really clear day, wind always helps getting clearer photos but doesn't help holding the lens steady. I usually underexpose my contrail shots at least one stop.

Good luck!

Thomas

Comment

I used a D60 and a 170-500mm lens for this shot.It's not perfect,but i'm happy with it.

[photoid=225861]

Scott
                "It's better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, then to open it and remove all
                doubt."

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

[photoid=228137]

That was at 400mm on a 10D (1.6 crop factor) plus a fairly large crop-this gives you some idea what you need to do prevent getting just a dot in the sky. It's also helpful to have good atmospheric conditions, wintertime is always better than summer for these shots.

Matt
                  My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Well it just so happened I had an Alaska 737 head over my house, pretty low too, with contrails. I centered the plane in the finder and seemed to like it. I was quite pleased. Of course, it just so happened that I hadn't loaded any film into the camera (stupid me ), so I couldn't take the shot. The weather was nice this morning but it's crummy now, so no hope for today. Anyway, thanks for all the advice. Since the Photo CD is plain bad, would slides be better? I know I would get some horrible quality out of my HP Scanner so I'm not going to even try, even though its a good scanner and all. I think now that I've gotten a hold of a SLR, I think more and more I wish I had gone with a DSLR, but, the 717 is fine for me, since I'm still learning and all that, plus I'm on a budget. Perhaps in a few years. I've already said that I'm going to drive my camera into the ground like my previous computer. Had it 7 years with a P2 Processor and finally got an upgrade Thanks again for all the suggestions.
                    CheckSix

Comment

Hi Matt,

The Lufthansa jumbo looks fantastic! Did you use your Sigma for this one?

Thomas

Comment

[photoid=184710]

10D, 500mm & 2x converter.

Comment

That Lufty 744 was done with the Sigma, conditions were great at the weekend and I got some of my best contrail shots yet-but for every good one there are several useless ones usually-but thats my fault for doing it all hand held in strong winds

Matt
                          My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

By the way folks, those are great contrail photos.
                            CheckSix

Comment

Another silly mistake on my part. It isn't a 100-400mm zoom its a fixed focal with 650mm. My goodness, can't read the type of lens, didn't have film in it...what's next .
                              CheckSix

Comment

Working...
                              X