Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know they aren't good, can you help guide a Newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know they aren't good, can you help guide a Newbie!

I have taken some shots today at Williamtown AFB, AKA Newcastle Airport and would like to know what they need, or more importantly what i need to work on.

I'd like to know about anything you can tell me. I know the colors are BAD, wrong postitioning relative to sun?. Very hard to change that one given the lack of vantage spots. Are the compositions ok? Cropping? etc.

Camera is Olympus C-750. This shot was ISO 50 shutter 1/320 F8.
    I cropped it and used the programme someone posted called Helicon noise reduction. I think it's too soft as is but the noise in the original is horrible. It was also taken through glass, no other choice at this particular spot.

Very warm day with a ton of heat haze. It killed most photos I took today.

Cheers
    Paul

Pic

I like this pic. The composistion is nice in my opinion. The only problem I see is like you said the sun was in the wrong posistion. I think under the circumstances you did well....Beautiful sky.....Artie

Comment

Next one has better subject (is that the word?) with the two hornets (one of them is a two seater) taking off, but the sun was not on the friendly side. Once again I used helicon to smooth out the 'orrible noise grains it had in the original. The camera can take some very clear shots, but struggles in very bright sunlight ??? I seem to lose colour definition.

Not just these photos but also at a recent local fun show. the colours are all washed out, almost a bluey haze, even with the sun behind.

I assume it is user error, but how can I improve it? This shot was ISO 100 1/1000 shutter F8. I had to rotate it and I cropped out the garbage.

Comment

I took this one at night looking toward the domestic at Kingsford Smith resting on a bench from the obs deck when I was in Sydney a week ago.

I'm posting it to get some opinions on exposure at night. I think it looks ok but I think something isn't right??

The composition sucks (what subject, it's just lights and the tail of a 747 ) but I'm after an opinion if it's either too dark/light or colours are good / bad etc. so I have something to go off.

Thanks for any help you may have on any of the images.

cheers
        Paul

Comment

Out of the mentioned pics, I see the best chances for the first ones. It shows a nice composition, with "airport feeling", but without distracting from the aircraft.

The quality is good enough in my opinion.

Looking at the night shot, I would kick myself somewhere, when I see the quality of the B747 tail : was it really impossible to get somewhere, where you could take the B747 from another angle? A pitty ....

Gerardo
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Your pics look better than mine and ive been susing the C-750 since December. Pity you could get a different angle for the night shot, i think im gonna be asking you for advice
            Sam Rudge
            A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

hey that shot with the F-18s is really nice!
              the colors are only 'washed out' because you faced the sun.
              greetings,
              Philip

Comment

So there IS some potential in me with my newly rediscovered hobby

I know the night shot at Kingsford Smith sucks as far as composition goes, but I was more after an exposure/colour opinion if possible. There seems to be a fine line between a nicely exposed night shot and a poorly lit one.
                I only had a short time at the airport, I live over 2 hours from Sydney and it was getting late, and as far as I know it's the closest I can get inside the terminals.

There was an Emirates A340 that just landed after the shot and parked over to the right, beautiful plane, and a good angle to shoot from, but there was a huge light post cutting it in two

Simpleboy: Good to hear another user of the C-750 here.
                I won't be giving advice though, too many knowledgable people here for me to be giving advice on photography. Have you found the colors washed out on really bright days with your cam, or is it just me?

Phillip: I think if I get there early the sun will be on my side, and I'll beat the heat haze, but At Williamtown, there is only a civi there once every hour and the jets do as they please, no available schedules of course. And the wind will probably be in the wrong direction, just to add to the fun!

Gerado, Do you think i should try and submit the day shots?? I didn't think the quality was there.
                As far as the night shot at Kingsford Smith goes, I don't know where else to go inside the terminals for that particular plane position, but if it parked over to the right more, it would have worked as the terminals go around to give the angle I need.

If anyone here does Kingsford Smith photos and would like to advise me on some spots to photograph from from inside the airport? I found most of the good perimeter spots, just not inside and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

Cheers
                Paul

P.S should I be using the highest TIFF setting for the shots? I am using the higest JPG setting, and am thinking I should be steering away from the JPGs for some of my shots. I have now got a 256 meg card and can get 22 TIFFs (Probably not enough) or 90 JPGs at their respective high res settings. (4MP camera)

Comment

As I wrote already, I would accept the first one, but reject the other two. The night shot, because of composition, as you also saw, and the other day sht with the F-18 because of "backlit".

But judging from what I see, I think, there is a potential. Go out and try!!

As for TIFF vs. JPG, it's up to you. Do some tests and look what happens. With a 256MB I would also strongly recommend a 512 MB card and an Image Tank.

Gerardo
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

COOL I'll give it a go!.

The 512 meg xD card is out of the question as they are $A500 here in oz. The whole camera was just under $A950, I just can't justify spending 50% of camera price on memory.

The 256 card was $A200 and that was with $40 bucks off. I'd rather spend $500 on a deposit on an DSLR. What the heck is an image tank?

Cheers
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Gouch
                      Good to hear another user of the C-750 here.
                      There are quite a few C7xx users around, it is a popular camera afterall.

[photoid=175266]

[photoid=175257]

There is a lot of potential in this little camera, just keep experimenting and taking lots of pictures.

Comment

sorry i didnt respond earlier, sometimes i find the colours washed out, but thats alwas when i shoot towards the sun. There are plenty of C-750 users here or at least Olympus users. I got my 256 mb card for just under $200NZ and my 128 for free with the camera, for which i paid $750NZ. The camera has a lot of potential (my SUH landing and taking off shot (later ones)), Clovis used the C-730 for ages and got an editors pick and heaps of other amazing shots. Its is very good if you hope to upgrade to an SLR because you can learn everything step by step, or do everything yourself
                        Sam Rudge
                        A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

First off let me say that I enjoy looking at all photos, not just the ones that get accepted on here. I think that in-order for you to snap that shutter, somthing must have cought your eye, and therefore you saw it, at that instant and cought a moment in time, that you can have forever..... I dont have alot of pics on here, just the ones that would be borderline acceptable...(some arguably not even that) but I feel that there is no such thing as a bad photo, Its a form of art ( for me anyway ) that has to do with some of the most beautiful things in the world, being aircraft... just remember, to some of us, snapping a shot thru glass into the sun, ( a big no no....I hear) is photography, just as well as catching the 5PM arrivals with a cam on a tripod, getting the same shot, over and over, just with diffrent planes...... the latter being more acceptable on here!! Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing a few candid moments with us...... - JJR

Comment

Working...
                          X