Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Rejection Advice

Hello JetPhotos forum,

This is my first time posting here, and I am relatively new to JetPhotos in general, so please forgive me.

Just a few minutes ago, I uploaded the photo below to the screening queue. However, after about 50 seconds had passed (quite literally 50 seconds - after only 20-30 seconds, the photo had already begun screening, and the screener's result was shown only a few seconds later), I immediately received a response which stated that my photo had been rejected. The reasons listed were:
    • Over Processed / Bad postprocessing
    • JPG compression artefacts
    I have yet to receive any email about the rejection, but it appears that the screener left no other messages.

Since I'm still very amateur when it comes to editing and uploading images (here's my JetPhotos profile: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/137372), I'm not sure what the screener is asking me to fix. Would anyone be willing to explain these results and give me advice on how I can improve my editing (or photography), especially for this photo? (For instance, what are JPEG compression artifacts?) I am not sure why my photo was rejected, but I know there are probably many reasons why the screener decided to grade it this way. I am happy to provide any necessary info upon request.

Also, is it normal for the screener to evaluate my photo after only a few seconds? (I suspect that this is because N160TH has not been previously uploaded to JetPhotos.)

Any assistance would be very greatly appreciated! I look forward to improving my photography and continuing to upload to JetPhotos in the future!

Enjoy your Sunday!

Sincerely,
    Calvin

Click image for larger version  Name:	29849_1574017215.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.2 KB ID:	1074886

Here's a smaller version of the original raw photo in case you'd like a comparison:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9177.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1074894

Comment

Originally posted by racerclc View Post
      Hello JetPhotos forum,

This is my first time posting here, and I am relatively new to JetPhotos in general, so please forgive me.

Just a few minutes ago, I uploaded the photo below to the screening queue. However, after about 50 seconds had passed (quite literally 50 seconds - after only 20-30 seconds, the photo had already begun screening, and the screener's result was shown only a few seconds later), I immediately received a response which stated that my photo had been rejected. The reasons listed were:
      • Over Processed / Bad postprocessing
      • JPG compression artefacts
      I have yet to receive any email about the rejection, but it appears that the screener left no other messages.

Since I'm still very amateur when it comes to editing and uploading images (here's my JetPhotos profile: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/137372), I'm not sure what the screener is asking me to fix. Would anyone be willing to explain these results and give me advice on how I can improve my editing (or photography), especially for this photo? (For instance, what are JPEG compression artifacts?) I am not sure why my photo was rejected, but I know there are probably many reasons why the screener decided to grade it this way. I am happy to provide any necessary info upon request.

Also, is it normal for the screener to evaluate my photo after only a few seconds? (I suspect that this is because N160TH has not been previously uploaded to JetPhotos.)

Any assistance would be very greatly appreciated! I look forward to improving my photography and continuing to upload to JetPhotos in the future!

Enjoy your Sunday!

Sincerely,
      Calvin
      The image is indeed heavily compressed, and there are editing halos indicative of overprocessing. Both of these issues should be fixable with a new/better edit of the image.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

The image is indeed heavily compressed, and there are editing halos indicative of overprocessing. Both of these issues should be fixable with a new/better edit of the image.
        Thanks for your response! Do you have any suggestions as to how I can fix these issues? When exporting from Elements in JPEG, it's exporting at the maximum quality (see image below), and my photos were originally shot in RAW, so how do I reduce the compression? Also, by the phrase "overprocessing", do you mean that the image is oversharpened, too many light/color changes, etc., or something else?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2019-11-17 155431.png Views:	0 Size:	117.4 KB ID:	1074900

Comment

Thanks for your response! Do you have any suggestions as to how I can fix these issues? When exporting from Elements in JPEG, it's exporting at the maximum quality (see image below), and my photos were originally shot in RAW, so how do I reduce the compression?
          So I can see, yet there is still blockiness and severe banding visible in the sky indicative of compression, and the file size itself is under 300k, which is relatively small. At some point when you edited it (if not when saving the jpeg, then perhaps when converting from RAW) you managed to introduce compression.

Also, by the phrase "overprocessing", do you mean that the image is oversharpened, too many light/color changes, etc., or something else?
          see:

.. and there are editing halos
          Again, something you have introduced at some point in your editing workflow, if they were no introduced by in-camera settings.

Comment

So I can see, yet there is still blockiness and severe banding visible in the sky indicative of compression, and the file size itself is under 300k, which is relatively small. At some point when you edited it (if not when saving the jpeg, then perhaps when converting from RAW) you managed to introduce compression.
            By blockiness, I assume you mean what is seen in the equalized version of the photo which JetPhotos shows:

Click image for larger version  Name:	procimages.php Views:	0 Size:	185.4 KB ID:	1074903

In my test, when I look at the equalized file in Elements before exporting to JPEG, it looks normal:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2019-11-17 164709.png Views:	0 Size:	157.1 KB ID:	1074904

However, once I put the exported JPEG file back into Elements, it looks like this (which is normal to some degree, right?):
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2019-11-17 165358.png Views:	0 Size:	174.1 KB ID:	1074905

But you're right, I need to figure out what's going wrong during the JPEG conversion, and the over-compression doesn't appear to occur before exporting. Currently, to export, I've just been using Save As and selecting JPEG as the file type, but is there another method you suggest I try?

By the way, thanks for your patience! I appreciate the help you've given.

Comment

By blockiness, I assume you mean what is seen in the equalized version of the photo which JetPhotos shows:

In my test, when I look at the equalized file in Elements before exporting to JPEG, it looks normal:

[
              However, once I put the exported JPEG file back into Elements, it looks like this

But you're right, I need to figure out what's going wrong during the JPEG conversion, and the over-compression doesn't appear to occur before exporting. Currently, to export, I've just been using Save As and selecting JPEG as the file type, but is there another method you suggest I try?
              I don't use Elements, so can't offer much advice in that regard. I will note that the editing halos are quite evident in all of those sample images you have posted.

Comment

Working...
              X